Life in Riyadh, KSA

Hi, I'm scheduled to move to Riyadh in a month; I've given notice to work but it is revocable. It's largely because of the career opportunity, although I have lived in Istanbul for a while and enjoyed that a lot, so cultural experience is an interest.

I'm not naive, so appreciate that KSA is much more unorthodox from a Western view, but I'm curious how much this might affect my quality of life, if anyone could give me a heads-up. A few things about me: the salary is okay, so I can afford to entertain myself; I've opted to live on a compound with other employees of a British company; I'm a weekend-only drinker in England, a football-watcher and a runner; I'm looking forward to unusual outdoor pursuits and life in the desert generally. My biggest concern, though, is interactions with women and what life will really be like for a currently single and non-Muslim male. The brutal truth would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Matt.

well whatever you do inside of your compound is your business but don't dare to hit on women outside of your compound or leave your compound drunk unless you want to get arrested by the religious police.

exactly..

I would not tell them you are an atheist or you may not get a visa to enter Saudi Arabia.

Evening star

yeah.... inside any good compound the life is socially active and u shd like the well knit group... and outside... if u r a sports lover i think u will find ways to spend time here .... there are tennis , football , gokarting , basketball , gym , pool , squash facilities here though u will have to reach out to them as they mayn't be in ur vicinty... desert sports happens outside somewhere riyadh , a local told me tht....
but if u r coming for a different expirence type of notion ...

@Mattsavage7!
You need to get prepared for a "Cultural Shock". Better is to abide by Saudi Arabian laws whether in or out of the Compounds. Drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited..
Regards!

I personally know a lot of male runners here in Riyadh. A lot of them run around the public circuit right outside King Fahad Medical City but there are other places to run too. I'm not sure about unusual outdoor pursuits but I'm quite certain that once you've adjusted, you can still do your usual weekend activities as if you were back in your home country.

I know interaction with the opposite gender in public is culturally prohibited but if you're discreet about it, I don't think you'll have a problem with that either.

Heads up though, it's probably not wise to go on publicly proclaiming to everyone that you're an atheist.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. I'm thinking dune-buggying... perhaps the occasional camel race and hiking, in terms of outdoors pursuits. Nothing too unusual.

@Matt: just do a small search on the all the topics here. you should be able to get a fairly decent idea on what to do and what not to.
But yeah it will be a different experience and you will have to take some time adjusting to it all. Compounds are a good place to interact and have a small social circle.
Outdoor activities, dune bashing is the most fun thing you can do here, cheap petrol- so all you need is decent 4X4, a couple of buddies and you can try your hand on that.

like i have said, a bit of research here and you will know what to expect.

Hi i'm mohaned from Jordan but i living in Saudi Arabia i hope to known any body live in Riyadh  also i want speak English with him or her   :(  coz i'm Learn ُEnglish now

i know more of Places here in Riyadh

Hi Matt re football. Not sure if I'll still be here when the new season starts but hit me up at the end of the summer if you want to watch Al Hilal. Quality wise they'd be in League 1 back home but they're well supported and the Riyadh derbies are worth going to.

i am willing to visit riyadh..can any 1 tell me bot the accommodation lyk,how r the facilities ina house n cn v rent for a reasnable amouint,for just 3 heads,,4 me,my hubby n my cute baby insha allah..n i want to knw weathr thr s a com4tble house nr exir no 25...will any cn slp..pls

eveningstar wrote:

I would not tell them you are an atheist or you may not get a visa to enter Saudi Arabia.

Evening star

I don't think matt sez he's an atheist? ...

But Matt....be very, very, very afraid! you're in for a real culture shock!... (naahh...just kidding about the "be very afraid part") ;) Goodluck...

gashead wrote:

Hi Matt re football. Not sure if I'll still be here when the new season starts but hit me up at the end of the summer if you want to watch Al Hilal. Quality wise they'd be in League 1 back home but they're well supported and the Riyadh derbies are worth going to.

Sound, thanks mate. Appreciated, definitely be into that.

Popolocroix wrote:
eveningstar wrote:

Evening star

I don't think matt sez he's an atheist? ...

But Matt....be very, very, very afraid! you're in for a real culture shock!... (naahh...just kidding about the "be very afraid part") ;) Goodluck...

Thank you :)

Thanks again for all responses, they're a lot of use.

@Mattsavage7, Weekend alcohol drinking is possible in neighbouring gulf states if you are willing to travel.

I am also moving to Riyadh for in July.  Anyone live in Riyadh Village?