Riyadh ?

Hi all,

I am moveing to Riyadh in a week times,I am from Canada and been in the ME for more than 8 yearas and it is my first time to riyadh, any tips ? and what do you guys do for fun ? is it true that there is a good underground life in riyadh?

Everythings possible in REiyadh from Golf to Gardening. Once you come over you will note that this place is no different from anywhere else except for the sun and the sand, maybe. All you gotta do is to move into a decent location and establish your own network of friends with whom you canm share and spend a great time in this sprawling city of towers, tea, and tenterhooks.

hmmmm !!! are there any places where you can have a beer around nice ppl, or am i only making things up :S

its depend on your lifstyle

r-m what do you mean ? your answer is a bit vage.

first of all welcome in Riyadh:D
the life in Riyadh from my point view is  more than great. it is calm, safe, excellent environment for my children , i can find most of the brands in the markets, and many many things.but i was surprised when i came this blog for the first time, i found that some foreigner ppl couldn't adapt to live here, and i realized that ppl are diffident ,not all off them like the quit and the Peace.
in the other hand there are compounds which are just a small community of the Western life , i think that living in these compounds more suitable for most of foreigner.
good luck

well said R-M :top:

as for the underground, fazz is it?

anything and everything can be underground, I after death will be underground, my house in a few more dacades will be underground, so what underground are ya looking for? liquir or drugs kinda underground? well, I dont know about drugs though, but sometimes the diplomats hold parties and serve alchoholic drinks and thats a well known fact, some compounds do that as well, but in a humble hush hush, so they dont brag about it to upset the locals, and bad quality stuf is in the black market, but easly closed down and you can get deported after serving prison id caught doing that in public or out side the DQ embassies or the compounds. well, you can always contact the local mafia for the "Underground" life ;)

enjoy

I think the word underground came a bit hard. It is only a term I picked up from someone in my office who have lived in Riyadh for some time. I did not like the link between drugs and alcohol who Salamn had mentioned, with all do respect though. Having a beer or a glass of wine after work can be done in respectful manners and does not have to be 'underground', at least in my world !
Once more Thanks for the posts & I think I still need more time to learn about the culture of Saudi Arabia.

hpbfazz wrote:

is it true that there is a good underground life in riyadh?

I'm sorry if I upset you fazz with any of my comments, but you did mention "Underground", but yes, people in compounds do have the option to enjoy beer or wine .. it depends on the compounds sources..

and I hope you find your place in this country.

Salman

ps.

I wonder why many people mistake my name with "salamn"?

What needs to be kept in mind is that there are local laws that need to be adhered to and the punsihments are very strict in keeping with Islamic Shariah Law.

However, what one says or does in the privacy and confines of his home between himself, his family and his friends is nbo one elses business.

You can get wehatever you want for a price. No different from any other city on the planet.

Fazz,
going to the work, taking the lunch, going back to home, taking a rest, visiting Friends, shopping, reading books , attending parties in diplomatic area(only here you can drink a cup of wine or in your compound which you will live in),laughing :lol: , crying when you feel lonely :( , visiting museum, going to restaurants, doing sport, ........all this things you can do it here but ppl looks different than yours, women are covering themselves outside their homes, and this mean that women dont like to have affair with men because women have thier own family, and men here supposed to be gentle with stranger and they will offer good company with you.so, girlfriend is not exist here, nor wine .
i hope that i made it clear for you :)

I repeat, choice is what matters at the end of the day.
We have to make our choices based on our needs wherever we may choose to live.

Dear musicman, i am trying to send you a msg, it keeps on saying your mail box is full?

can we help you life1? :rolleyes:

Aight ! It's my first day in the kingdom. First impression is great! Weather is amazing and the food here is awesome. LETS GET THE PARTY STARTED:lol:

Welcome Fazz! enjoy every moment of it.