Driving license in Brazil

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Brazil?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Brazil?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Hi Armand,

Only foreigners with permanent resident status can apply for a Brazilian driver's licence. The process is very long and bureaucratic as is everything else in this country.

For those in Brazil for 180 days or less (tourist visa) you will be allowed to drive using your foreign driver's licence, notarized translation (done here in Brazil) after making an application for permission to drive at DETRAN and paying the applicable fee.

Brazil does NOT accept an IDP (International Driver's Permit) they do accept an IADP (Inter-Americas Drivers Permit) for those from North, Central and South American countries. This will allow one to drive for up to one year when the IADP is accompanied by a valid drivers licence from your home country.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thank you :)

Hi William,

I know you are from Canada too, do you know by any chance how I can get an IADP here?

Also, how (very) long does it take to have the driving license once in Brazil? Does it help to have the IADP or we need to do all the procedure over there?

Thanks very much for your help!

Emilie

Hi Emilie,

If you already hold a valid Canadian driver's license then check with the nearest office of the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). I believe that they issue the IADP as well as the IDP. Make sure to specify the Inter-Americas Driver's Permit or you will likely end up with the wrong permit.

Your driver's license must continue be valid for at least one more year from the date you request the IADP. If CAA, in fact, does not issue the IADP I don't know what else you can do since the International Driver's Permit is not recognized in Brazil. You might try crossing into the USA and ask the AAA if they will issue one to someone who holds a Canadian license. The answer to that one is probably NO, but it's worth a shot.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thanks WJ, I saw your other post on the subject and actually understood that since i am moving permanently to Brazil, its better to do the whole process....and from the french forum i understood it is about 1000$R and 45 hours of courses to do the whole process, so I might let my husband drive for a while ;)

Até mais!

Emilie

I'm going to re-open this topic.

I am in Brazil permanently and have a a valid IADP which expires 12/2013. AND I have another IADP which is becomes valid 12/2013.

I do want to obtain a permanent drivers license here. Do I really have to go through all the bureaucracy considering they already recognize my US license for 180 days?

What documents are required? What training and tests are involved? What are the fees?

Thanks!

Hello Matt

I have actually find out that I can do only a translation and pay low fees (couple hundreds reais) and get my driving license here (permanent).

You only need a certified translation (traduçao juramentada), a CPF, passport, proof of address (like electricity bill), identity card and photocopies, with also the fees paid (but in most place you can pay there by card) and appointment scheduled (website).

Here is the link, if you speak portuguese :

http://www.detran.sp.gov.br/wps/portal/ … BIS9nQSEh/

Good luck!

Thanks for the information Emilie, it will certainly help lots of people.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks, Emelie.

Hi Matt,

Cool new username!!! I see you managed to get it done without having to close your existing account and lose the number of your previous postings, that's great. SIR!!! (sorry I couldn't resist that)

Cheers,
Your buddy James