Expat Club Saudi Arabia! "interested? c`mon in!"

Hello Friends,

feel soo boring here :(. can i join the club as well. :)tks.

Hey everybody :)Im so happy ive found this site. I was just starting to give up on enjoying life here. What do I need to do in order to join the expat club? Id like to meet new people and have a good time.

welcome to expat-blog Sarah, hope you will enjoy this forum of exciting people, enjoy!

I AM BACK !!!

Musicman - its not fair, u did welcome for only Sarah and not for other people, maybe because Sarah is a female and other are men.....not good man

Welcome Sarah :)

Others: we get so many people new people here every day, cant welcome u all :P

Lol Thank you guys :)

Hi yo Silver, away!

So, does this "Club" have special requirements?

Ok guys, ill throw a monkey in the wrench. Really , is it going to be a ton of fun, for most westerners this is, to sit around drinking red bull,smoking, and staying in wednsday night with a bunch of dudes? i see cultural differences being a huge detractor. I know maybe a dozen European chicks that would be down , but aren't up for being eye screwed by the guys that show, and i also know a ton of western dudes, that while drinking sid or what ever , would feel a bit odd with the ME guys staring, and trying to identify. its not a racial bias thing really, its a cultural boundary that judging by the news on tv transcends best intentions a bit. as i have lived in dubai for the last 10 years, i see it on a daily basis. ill be at the beach per se and see the guys in the nice pajamas get out of a car, and come waterfront to stare at chicks in bikini's. yeah, thats an awesome way to convince them that your a cool guy to hang with. really, if i have the danish nurse contingency come over tomorrow night, all 6 foot tall, blonde haired blue eyed of them, can the guys that live under a certain set of cultural rules be able to say that their behavior would make the girls comfortable? im not a nay sayer, but i honestly dont see anyone from a non ME country thats not single coming. not to be a dick, but can anyone really disagree?

I do disagree with such a huge generalization.  The non-western guys I've had the pleasure of knowing from this forum have been smart, funny and total gentlemen. 

The secret, Jimmy-boy, is *screening*.  If you gave a blanket online invitation in the US to a party, you'd have 90% a**h*les show up.  Can you deny that?  Why would it be any different here?

well, not having been in the us in 20 years, i have no idea. my Dubai friends, i generally don't give huge blanket invites. that's asking for disaster, i agree.  it has nothing to do with western. it has everything to do with being not entirely too wierd about seeing chicks at the pool in a bikini and not be sportin wood. having 10 years in the mena, i kinda have to say i go this one.

Jimmybranco wrote:

well, not having been in the us in 20 years, i have no idea. my Dubai friends, i generally don't give huge blanket invites. that's asking for disaster, i agree.  it has nothing to do with western. it has everything to do with being not entirely too wierd about seeing chicks at the pool in a bikini and not be sportin wood. having 10 years in the mena, i kinda have to say i go this one.

Come on.  So parties ONLY take place at pools with girls in bikinis?  Sexist much??

I stand by my original statement!  You need to screen here just like you would anywhere else.  You wouldn't give a blanket invite (or accept one) in Dubai, why would you do it here?

if its an example, its kinda hard to be regarded as sexist. it could be a igloo party, its the principal.

Jimmybranco wrote:

if its an example, its kinda hard to be regarded as sexist. it could be a igloo party, its the principal.

If it were an igloo party, there wouldn't be wood because people would have clothes on.

Anyway, this discussion is moot because you will always see what you want to see--differences rather than similarities.  I guess I'm the opposite.

Sorry if I seemed preachy about what Jimmy said.  He thinks I see the world through rose-colored glasses, and maybe I do sometimes but we all have our perceptions based on our experiences.  My experiences have been mostly good, hence the rose-colored glasses :)
But that certainly isn't to say his perceptions aren't equally valid.

Mea culpa!

@ jimmy;

Well I totally disagree with you, you can't generelize and judge all ME guys just like that. Some are like what you said, and those types exist all over the world as well, some are polite, some are religious and respect women way too much to even look at them.. and so on. I kinda see what you mean though, here in the ME is still a conservative society, and bikinis are less common than they are in the west.. So maybe the guys gaze a bit more coz it's not so common , but guys everywhere look anyway. I'm not defending them or anything, but I'm just saying that not all of them are like that, not most of them as well.

(moderated: off topic)

Alliecat wrote:

Hi Guys,

You have to get the women here motivated!!

I'm game to make new friends and get out and do things, esp. on weekends.  For a woman to associate with men, however, a western compound seems the best bet. Any members here lucky enough to have access to such a place?

Regards--

Alli

I agree with you Allie, compounds are the safest place to meet & I bet there are lots of expat members here who lives in a compound

alli ,, irs pleasuer to have u here and i really wnana spend nice monet in my compound with friends like u .. but im far from ur city in alkhobar .. anyhow when ever u have plan o visit khobar just lemme know i have nice beach rosort as well. just in box when u wanna visist khobar

@paradigmshift  Thank you very much :)

Well so did the idea fly as yet or not?

I am moving from Doha to Riyadh and looking forward to it. In Doha we had a few expat groups which were pretty active. From simple coffee evenings to camping trips or natual history trips. I hope Riyadh is as much fun! figers crossed...

itadvisor wrote:

Well so did the idea fly as yet or not?

I am moving from Doha to Riyadh and looking forward to it. In Doha we had a few expat groups which were pretty active. From simple coffee evenings to camping trips or natual history trips. I hope Riyadh is as much fun! figers crossed...

It's difficult here due to the 'no mingling' culture but it's easy enough for a group of guys to get together to shoot pool or women to meet for coffee.  If you want mixed, however, it becomes complicated :(

Thanks for the headsup Alliecat,

i have already heard so much about the culture, now just waiting to be there and experience it first hand....

anyways, hopefully it would be fun

Hey Salman Omrani you never answered Sarah how to join the 'expat club'! Or did this club thing backfire?

Hericles wrote:

Hey Salman Omrani you never answered Sarah how to join the 'expat club'! Or did this club thing backfire?

He just put it out there--it's up to the members to follow through and many have :)

Jimmybranco wrote:

Ok guys, ill throw a monkey in the wrench. Really , is it going to be a ton of fun, for most westerners this is, to sit around drinking red bull,smoking, and staying in wednsday night with a bunch of dudes? i see cultural differences being a huge detractor. I know maybe a dozen European chicks that would be down , but aren't up for being eye screwed by the guys that show, and i also know a ton of western dudes, that while drinking sid or what ever , would feel a bit odd with the ME guys staring, and trying to identify. its not a racial bias thing really, its a cultural boundary that judging by the news on tv transcends best intentions a bit. as i have lived in dubai for the last 10 years, i see it on a daily basis. ill be at the beach per se and see the guys in the nice pajamas get out of a car, and come waterfront to stare at chicks in bikini's. yeah, thats an awesome way to convince them that your a cool guy to hang with. really, if i have the danish nurse contingency come over tomorrow night, all 6 foot tall, blonde haired blue eyed of them, can the guys that live under a certain set of cultural rules be able to say that their behavior would make the girls comfortable? im not a nay sayer, but i honestly dont see anyone from a non ME country thats not single coming. not to be a dick, but can anyone really disagree?

I suggest you go ahead and plan a trip to Lebanon, im sure that'll change the way you think or even atleast the way you generalize all the arab men in one bucket.

Ned, Ill give ya that one man.

Alliecat wrote:
Hericles wrote:

He just put it out there--it's up to the members to follow through and many have :)

Well I sent Allie a private message since it said that she handles the girls group. She never replied.

Sarah_A12 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Hericles wrote:

Well I sent Allie a private message since it said that she handles the girls group. She never replied.

If you bothered to read my profile, it asks people to please don't PM me with things that can/should be asked in forum.

This is your email to me:

I'm living with my parents in an apartment. I actually grew up here. since I went to college here all my friends left here for college. I'm the only one that stayed here. This is my third year and I've been having a hard time since all the girls at college are saudi. I've met some great ppl but it's kinda hard since they're different. I found this site by coincidence and I thought it would be great if I could meet new people and have things to do during the weekends.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to do.  Entertain you?  Arrange a party for you to meet people?  Since you grew up here, *you* should be the one helping to plan things, not vice versa.

Alliecat wrote:
Sarah_A12 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

If you bothered to read my profile, it asks people to please don't PM me with things that can/should be asked in forum.

This is your email to me:

I'm living with my parents in an apartment. I actually grew up here. since I went to college here all my friends left here for college. I'm the only one that stayed here. This is my third year and I've been having a hard time since all the girls at college are saudi. I've met some great ppl but it's kinda hard since they're different. I found this site by coincidence and I thought it would be great if I could meet new people and have things to do during the weekends.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to do.  Entertain you?  Arrange a party for you to meet people?  Since you grew up here, *you* should be the one helping to plan things, not vice versa.

Not at all actually. I just thought you could tell me about any upcoming events u guys had planned. If I couldve helped i would've loved to. The thing is even though I grew up here I don't know much here. Ive lived in a compound on olaya street until like 3 years ago and during that time i never felt the need to hang out anywhere else. Thanks anyway Allie :) Sorry if I bothered you in any way.

Sarah_A12 wrote:

Not at all actually. I just thought you could tell me about any upcoming events u guys had planned. If I couldve helped i would've loved to. The thing is even though I grew up here I don't know much here. Ive lived in a compound on olaya street until like 3 years ago and during that time i never felt the need to hang out anywhere else. Thanks anyway Allie :) Sorry if I bothered you in any way.

You didn't bother me, Sarah.  And sorry if I went off on you.  The thing is, the 'expat club' thread is where people can meet and get things off the ground.  There's also a thread 'coffee at Kingdom' and EB members make their own arrangements.

There's no *official* club, per se.  But rather small groups of people who make contact with each other and plan things on their own.  I notice that BigK has put out a post offering to host on his compound.  Why don't you PM him?  Could be the first step in making some new friends.

Best of luck.

Alliecat wrote:
Sarah_A12 wrote:

You didn't bother me, Sarah.  And sorry if I went off on you.  The thing is, the 'expat club' thread is where people can meet and get things off the ground.  There's also a thread 'coffee at Kingdom' and EB members make their own arrangements.

There's no *official* club, per se.  But rather small groups of people who make contact with each other and plan things on their own.  I notice that BigK has put out a post offering to host on his compound.  Why don't you PM him?  Could be the first step in making some new friends.

Best of luck.

It's alright :) I assume u get lots of weirdos messaging you. I know I did. Lol
I hope you can inform me of anything u guys have planned. Id love to help if i can. I dont get to go on here so much since im kinda busy with school lately.
Thanks for the tip. I'll message him :)

Sarah_A12 wrote:

I'll message him :)

:top:

i'v finally landed in Riyadh.
Here a forum from qatar where we expats arranged for activities: qatarliving.com/group/qatar-living-social-group
I would look forward to organizing trips myself once i settle down and get wheels etc.

Here's another group i liked very much and would love to join if something similar exists in KSA: qnhg.org/

Finally I am not sure which is the right thread for it so a bit off topic, can anyone please point me to the thread where i can ask general questions like a 'how to' page for Riyadh. (eg: qatarliving.com/answers)
I have to figure out a whole lot of things like taxis, rent a car, issues with sim cards, driving license conversion etc.
My location is wadi hanifah and there dosen't seem to be a market place at walking distance.
many thanks

@itadvisor -> I invite you to start a new thread with all your questions on the Saudi Arabia forum. Other members might help. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

itadvisor wrote:

Here's another group i liked very much and would love to join if something similar exists in KSA: qnhg.org/

Here is a Saudi Arabian Natural History Society group.

Hi,
thanks for your response.
But where? Did you intend to post a link and maybe missed it?

Rgds,

Which Witch wrote:
itadvisor wrote:

Here is a Saudi Arabian Natural History Society group.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401285_313157855464432_1201274035_n.jpg

Alliecat wrote:

You didn't bother me, Sarah.  And sorry if I went off on you.

the gentle side of cat :top:

Lol...the weather is so amazing. Got to do a night in the desert. Whose in ?

Alliecat wrote:

Hi Guys,

You have to get the women here motivated!!

I'm game to make new friends and get out and do things, esp. on weekends.  For a woman to associate with men, however, a western compound seems the best bet. Any members here lucky enough to have access to such a place?

Regards--

Alli

hi catch me on [email protected]