Experienced Web/software developer looking for work in Nairobi

Hi guys,

Anyone have ideas on how/where  i can find an expat IT job in Nairobi?  I am a Brit currently working in one of London's top investment banks as a software engineer and would like to relocate to Nairobi with my wife and 2 kids (my wife is not kenyan but she currently has a Kenyan residency permit) . I've been searching for Nairobi based jobs in web/software development for the past 3 years now with not much luck. Thanks to fishford from this post

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77060

i have been looking on ihub and brightermonday etc..no joy still.

Grateful if anyone else has some helpful links/tips. P.S I have an impressive resume

Do not hesitate to post an advert in the section Jobs in Nairobi Webdever!;)

Harmonie.

Hi,

The Kenyan job market is very tough to break into.  Lots of very well qualified people, who are out of work, so there is a view that would question why jobs should be given to expats, unless there is a skills gap.  IT is a difficult sector and the fact that you have been looking for 3 years will reinforce this.  Its chicken and egg:  You really have to hustle and network in order to get a job, but then you must be in Kenya to do this, but there is your existing job to consider................!

One way forward is to register a company in Kenya, then start out on your own.  You would require a work permit (Class H), of course (minimum capital of $100 000 required, or equivalent investment).  The following link will give information on permits:

http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php? … Itemid=127

By the way, I posted on your other enquiry about dependants passes - there is nothing on the Kenya Government website to suggest that dependants passes cannot be issued to a male spouse.  However, in practice, it doesn't happen.  At least that is what I was informed.

Longonot62

Thanks for all the advise and information. My wife registered a company and attained a class H permit so i'm pretty familiar with the process (which was very herculean i must add!). Its not in the cards for me to do so at the moment unfortunately, however, this is starting to look like the most viable option towards relocating especially if they wont issue a dependent pass to a male spouse. For now..the job hunting goes on i guess.

Best of luck to everyone else in the job hunting category!

__The work  in this area (IT) is complex, but not impossible,
I highly suggest you study like so so crazy¡... to get the most superior in the test::: "GMAT" and "GRE",
they are asking that for work  / (expat only) in Kenya now...
I know, because I get a contract for work, similar to what you're looking for
and I ask for a minimum of 720 .. "GMAT" ;/
According to the company to justify its superior ability over the common denominator
the labor force Kenya,
but in my case I demand to be single with no children. ;/
Mmm.

And forgot to say:
that, the pay is low , and you may have to pay me the price of the work permit, ( Now is :400K. shillings O_o )