What business can i have in the philippines?

yes, i finished my highschool in UNC, and 2 yrs in college in ateneo and finish my college here in manila.. i went home in bicol for vacation with my family.. working here in manila open more opportunities than in bicol. yeah im goin to spend my xmas vacation this  dec with my parents there in bicol. nice to hear bicol is now on state of progress :) im proud bicolana :)

Well personally i would be extremely carefull in looking to do any business there,as have read that too many end up getting duped.Even by people they have known for some years.
If you had property in your country and at first rented it out,then have a good look at where you would like to open a gym.Even move around to other islands,maybe even for a year,before you do anything.Either way just do your sums and dont jump into anything that seams to good to be true.
All the best.

Between the two options, I would suggest to invest in real estate, your investment offers more potential return than gym business.:)

Didn't read every sentence but sort of surprised that nobody mentioned the first most basic requirement.
You either need a corporation and a huge sum in the bank as proof or you need a wife.
A foreigner is not allowed to own land (thus, get used to either buying a condo or renting, forever, until married) and no legit business.

Get married first, you can then own (if I remember correctly) 40% of the business, land, house and so on with the other 60% in your wife's name.
And outside of that, no, businesses here aren't very good.
High levels of theft, people so poor they can't generally afford much, and if you did raise it up big then get used to shake downs and corruption.

I own a small store myself and to give you an example, it brings in "perhaps" 10% of my income, I run it mostly to give myself something to do and at any one time I have about 80% of it tied up into "utang" or in other words, credit that people pay when their checks come in, because most live pay check to pay check here.

I do however live in a more rural area, so I would also advise if you are serious about just the business aspect of the country, move to a more populated area.

Hope this helps some.

PS: Get used to hearing "ayooooooo palit ko!!" all day, every day, even with door shut or closed sign up and especially in your nightmares :lol: haha

invest in a call center business

Steph, if you think you have enough capital for investment, then think big in the Philippines.

First is try to study what are the products that are highly imported in the Philippines and think if you could invest a manufacturing firm in the Philippines so the product would be available locally but if your capital is not enough then small business could be okay but you must have passion in it.

Secondly; Foreigners could not own a land in the Philippines so think of it if you really want to have a dual citizen in the Philippines to have a privileged like the locals

3rd: try to visit http://peza.gov.ph/ and explore the investment opportunities without TAX

Always remember in any business you must have Passion. Never think of rightaway earnings but be happy of what you are doing and make your business good. Passion is the secret of success of anything what you are doing.

Hello Charles Harman here we had a family business that started out as a internet cafe but you can make any money in that these days so along with the internet we offer a variety of PC related options like Virus Removal, PC Repair, Publishing and printing, ID photos, printing photos and placing them on a CD. this makes around 60,000 pesos a month which is enough to cover an apartment and food your basic necessities, but the price is fairly high to get started because you need to buy the computers and monitors and service them yourself. We did it so it can be done.
:cool:

[Moderated: Please post an ad in the Housing section]

Hi stef.

I am a filipina I can say yes its difficult for you to have a business from Philippines, most specially if gym you have so many competition and aside from that there are so many public gym for filipino's, and filipino's are a bit wise, anyways I am living here in cambodia with my German husband, were running a  small business here making yogurt, but were planning to buy some bar with diving lesson,and some business like sailing for tourist and chicken farm, but we still need some business partner, if you are interested to know all the details please dont hesitate  to ask, i will post some information,

give me msg if you are interested my mail artbrey_1127(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Hi,

I quite  disagree with the first reply.... ita not about he investment that you have to be extremely be careful but with who, what and how to invest it with. Im sorry, this might show a different represebtation of investing in the Philippines.

Steph, im quite surprised with the choices that you have. A gym? Is that really your own idea? Looking at an Atenean, favorable maybe in real estate or  in a pastry foodthing and maybe clothing and family acquired huge businesses. Perhaps you are a masculine type of a decision maker who is pretty much good.in business. Firm decision maker.

Typically, if you are looking at an investment a call center is ok... but it wont be long before South Americans dominate the Outsourcing part. There might be some left but those ar the big names and the real pioneers in the industry. You might want to try a little effort business firsr like selling stuff online. Maybe ebay or sulit.com. I can give you sites on where you can buy lots of accesories and other stuff. But if you do really want to have a physical store or business, you have to know where to buy the cheapest stuff and for a fact, everybody knows it is not in the Philippines but some other parts of the world. Im very particularly about these stuff specially if the start up funds is not that big. Eventhough, you haave a large amount you still would want to start up small. I strongly suggest for you to choose something unique, something you really want and most of all something that we know that will boom in the Philippine Market. Price is number one on your list. Filipinos would rather buy ten peso stuff that they can use for a few months then just buy again if it breaks. So might want to try something that is not too expensive, but quality wise or maybe savings.for.the.future.will take effect. Contact me.via private message if you want to know more about the sites im mentioning. I too am looking for investors to help me start up with a small scale retail business. Lets see.if we meet and deal if not its ok. Im happy to help anybody whom i knoq deserves.it and has the potentials to succeed. My email is [email protected] and my mobile number  is  +639205598858. Thanks for your time Steph. Goodluck and Godspeed

You cannot own a lot in the Philippines but you can own a condominium. I suggest invest in a condominium that located in a good and profitable location w high rental area but price is same in other condominium. You can look for The Fort Bonifacio Global City or Makati City which is the business capital center of Metro Manila. If your interested, I can help you.Just message me.

Owning condos is good .. Have been married to a filipina for 33yrs we own 3 executive condos at Manila bay all 3 are rented on long term leases which bring in P55,000 per month on each condo.  Now panning to invest in another 2 condo units in the same area

Good luck with your new adventure

that is the first i have heard that condo's are a good investment    but  then again i live in cebu  where  60% of condo's are just sitting here vacant...
alot are in terrible locations  and there is a real estate bubble in cebu   pushing prices up  to an over inflated price that is very very unrealistic

hi. gym not a good idea. condo a little too late. food is still a goid buss. and also listen and ask yourself something that yoy like to do. im a flt crew I could share a lot ib person. im not selling anything or what ever

you can work here but  if your from USA you now have to report income and  pay tax, don't buy land for investment i know a lot  of expats that  did that  a few years ago i can buy the  land for half of what they paid, import business is the  best thing to get into if you have  the  connection but they are  hard to come by

Any business is possible in the Philippines, but just remember that you can't buy land under your own name.

Hi there! It seems that your plan is okay but be sure to read the immigration law also so that you could be abreast with the rules here in Phils. Other options maybe is to buy an island or a piece of land near a resort like in boracay or palawan i can see a lot of tourist there owned large houses/ villas open for rent. Goodluck on your plans.

shannen13 wrote:

Between the two options, I would suggest to invest in real estate, your investment offers more potential return than gym business.:)

I disagree on this one.

If you would example invest for a condo, or several condos, your actual monthly income would be fairly low compared to the initial investment amount. As a foreigner you can't safely invest in any other properties as your name won't be included.

There is no point on investing a million PHP to a condo which will bring you max. 10k/month back, and from this you will deduct your association dues. That million is better in somewhere else.

I'm running several businesses here in the Philippines and million will take you long way and if you do it right, it will earn you almost 100k/month back. Just my few cents of advice.

APARTMENT FOR RENT or HOUSE FOR RENT are good anywhere here in the Philippines.

Hi, i am a res of Phil .. the best business that is more profitable is aapartment or bachelors pad... this is the common necessities here.. if I were given a chance this would be my my proposed business in the future... but for now I am not financially stable.

What about taxi service? My wife is pinoy and her father and uncle both are in the business and are willing to help us. We are planing to have the biz in General Santos. Thinking of buying maybe 10 cars at first. My wife will run the biz and I will monitor the maintenance and financials. We will use profits to buy some rental property and start other businesses.   Opinions????

we had taxies in Naga a while ago, the bounty per day was 800p, I think it's better elsewhere
but at this return and repairs etc I couldn't see us ever saving enough to buy a new taxi when
it was due
Pete

Thanks Pete, What business are you in?
Tom

we r in household chemical business but it's really a hobby, I have given up trying to make money here.
better keep ur money invested in ur home country, spend the proceeds here.
Pete

Hi,

I guess a travel agency will do. You can use your contacts outside and promote Philippines while enjoying every bits and pieces of it as well. :-). I have lots of contacts in Africa and Middle East too..maybe I can help with the marketing.

Cheers,

Hi, anybody wants to be my business partner in the philippines, please email me [email protected] lets talk about business I can speak 3 different languages in the philippines.

Pardon my ignorance-
Is gambling illegal in the Philippines?

Hi, I would like to hear more

Under Philippine law.  You can only own less than 50% of a business here. The other needs be in some one else's name.  Not the best to do.  Like they say bring nothing or have nothing here you can not walk away from.

I am from Amsterdam, The Netherlands but have been living here over 2 years now.

In the Philippines its not just about what you know, its about WHO you know. Choose your crowd carefully, there are countless of posers and fakers here, local and foreign.

As for starting a business.. It all depends on your own capabilities, expertise and skill set. BPO's are good but the competition is high and good clients are not easy to obtain. Export and import opportunities will always be there. Education is also quite big. Poultry farming can be profitable if you have the funds and expertise to run it. I could go on and on but my advise would be to take your time to learn more about the country first. Over time you will find opportunities in your field of expertise or industry.

I work in the real estate industry and if you want to play it safe, I suggest you go for commercial or residential property in Manila and not for private islands or land in the province unless you have the right connections.. I was talking with the CEO of Jones Lang Lasalle this morning, a highly reputable consultancy agency in real estate around the world. The TOP places to invest in commercial and residential properties in SE Asia are Jakarta and Manila. Simply because of the continuous growth in the middle class. Buy low, sell high... or keep your rental rates low to have your unit rented out continuously. Go for property that you would comfortably hold on to for 10 years in case a crash comes. If you need advise or suggestions you can always PM me.

All in all play it safe, take your time to learn more about the country first.

enjoy With Me d Solar Energy Bisniss!!

Hello, Clark Freeport Zone is the destination of choice for call centers. If interested, please drop a line to my e-mail and we can meet/discuss further.

CEBU CITY is the best. even better than Manila... Got happy clients here ;)

Solar Energy is D Best!!!

Foreigners cannot have dual citizenship only Filipinos ,if after 10 years  you want to become a citizen you must renounce your foreign citizenship

One investment you never want to get involved in is the promise of huge returns in the GOLD MINING business..I know a Korean who was ripped off for 6 million because of permits this and permits that and environment this and that...But after 2 years and him returning to his homeland the mine is flourishing and guess who gets all the $$$$'s...Not him that's for sure...

what business do you have?

hi good afternoon.. i want wanna know kung may available unit pa bo kayo for rental..im working in a brokerage firm po.
thank u

Thank you for asking about the units in Rockwell.  They are all rented out at the moment.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news or indeed come across as too negative - but for every successful foreign business in Asia there are 1000's of failures. A gym? HELLO!! Have you seen how much international quality gym equipment is in the Philippines with x2/x3 import taxes? You will spend a lifetime just trying to recoup your capital outlay. It is all very well to be quoted 'Metro Manila" and upmarket districts for your clientele - but just go check out the rents in these areas and then you will soon discover how unfeasible this idea is. Outside Manila your memberships will need to be far lower and even in densely populated expat areas such as Angeles City, gyms come and go frequently. Even the new Golds Gym is not that busy and the equipment must have cost a fortune. I get weekly SMS messages 'begging me' to join at 'new special discounted prices' which seem to continue to fall. Factor-in the cost of all the 'licenses', municipal taxes and electricity and you will go backwards quickly. Think Richard Branson. How to become a millionaire? Start off as a Billionaire and then go buy an airline! Same applies here (IMHO).

You cant go buying land unless you wish to have Filipino business partners and are prepared to sit on it for years to increase in value. And then you get hit with Capital Gains tax! Sure you can buy a condo but just Google buying condos in Philippines (as per much of Asia) and you will see how unfeasible they are. You're 10 years too late - the 'boom' has already hit the Philippines and there is now much talk of downward pressure. Capital outlay relative to rental yields just don't add up to real value anymore. Real Estate agents will tell you otherwise (obviously) but it is interesting that the 'clever money' is moving from the Philippines and Thailand into Myanmar - why? It's pre-boom! Yes risky - but fortune favors the brave as they say....Anyway, that's a bit "off topic" as you will understandably wish to invest closer to home.

If you have the qualities to be a good businessman then you are likely going to be successful (hard work, dedication etc.) and I wish you all the best of course. One of the key factors of Asia (especially Philippines) is access to cheap labor and a willing workforce that enables business to exploit cost differentials and export products globally. The biggest recent boom here has been in call centres. Why? Exploiting a natural talent - Filipinos [in the main] speak good ENGLISH - bingo! Apart from that, most manufacturing is lost to Bangladesh or mainland China, because it's cheaper still.

Against this backdrop you need to think hard what could be a feasible business here in the Philippines. I suspect you have a modest budget and simply wish to generate a sustainable income stream. All very laudable but not easy. Many expats here have an income from "the internet" and that's their niche - its not for everyone. Others have engineering or other skill sets that enable them to start profitable businesses in other niches. Start-ups are tough anywhere, and when you add in corruption and red tape you will need to be quite 'flexible' and streetwise.

I did chuckle at some of the posts recommending you get involved in "Herbal Life & Amway" type distribution - PLEASE! You have to believe in your product 100% and peddling over-priced rubbish isn't the way to do it.

You state you are married to a Filipino so integration will be easier for you. My advice? Keep visiting and researching the Philippines and do not commit yourself to anything until you take the plunge and live here permanently. I love the Philippines and I am NOT trying to dissuade you from starting a business here. There is always a balance between profit and quality of life and the Philippines affords a pleasant mix of the two - if your careful and prudent!

Rents and utilities are expensive, so be pessimistic about these costs from outset. Do something you're knowledgeable about or have in interest in by all means, but be very wary of any venture that requires too much capital outlay from outset. Too many eggs in one basket is a recipe for disaster etc etc... But GOOD LUCK all the same and I trust you will make it here and I'm sure you will be glad you did.