Dogs in Cairo

I may move to Cairo at some point in the future and was wondering what advice anyone would have regarding bringing a medium sized Wheaton Terrier to Cairo?  Thanks in advance for your help.

From where do you come?

I just came in from Germany and brought a Labrador and a Dachshund into Sharm el Sheik.
They flew on the same plane as I did, just in the Cargo department.
Less paperwork hassle than having them come in a separate Cargo plane.

I flew with Condor since they offered some unbeatable prices.

Re paperwork for the dog:
I have the Rabies shots, a Titer test (not sure if it's needed to get into Egypt, I need it to get them back to Europe), a health certificate (valid only 10 days, you get it at a Veterinarian) and they need to be chipped.

Since they flew on my plane, nobody even checked my papers, sigh.
But they tried to load the huge Kennel on the luggage roundabout. My Labrador wasn't amused and neither was I. But all the rest went fine ;)

I would be moving from Canada.  I was wondering what it is like living with a dog in down town Cairo.  Obviously in Canada (same for Germany) it is easy to walk the dog outside as we are used to that.  Is it the same in Cairo.  I have already had some great advice from another Blogger, FleetingGlimpse.  Thank you for your help.  Skeena

You are most welcome.
She helped me too :)

No idea how it is in Cairo.
Here in Sharm it's pretty easy, but I guess if you live downtown Cairo you might have a bit of a problem finding places to walk?

Best of Luck!

Hi Skeena,

Depends actually where you will be living in Cairo. you see, it is really a big city, if you live in Maadi, Zamalek or heliopolis, I think you'll find some places to walk the dog. I am not sure for other places, I think it shouldnt really  be a problem, it would be much better if you live in one of the news cities in the suburbs of cairo, like 6th october, Reehab, Katamia...etc. but of course all depends on where you live and the proximity to your work/whetever you plan to do in cairo.

Take care and good luck with your dog.

Bex

PS. if at all doable, I reckon you should come and check it your self first before bringing the dog

Thanks Beko.  I appreciate the advice.  Skeena

I am an American dog lover living in Cairo and opening up a small kennel for dog people who cannot travel with their pets and want more than just a place to put them.

At the moment I can only take one dog at a time as I am searching for the right space for a kennel - a house with a yard and easily secured, with lots of room to play and run around but also protected from the outside.

I need space where they can be boarded indoors as well as out should it get too hot/cold - although it's the heat that is of most concern, and while local dogs and indigenous animals are acclimated, often newly expat animals are not, and may require extra care and attention, especially when their families travel.

I say family because I come from a culture where your pet is part of the family and that's how I would want my dog treated if I had to leave him for an extended period.  I love dogs and eventually would like to do dog rescue in Cairo, education, and provide neutering services.

I have many friends and colleagues through the American University in Cairo where I did undergrad and graduate work, know reputable veterinarians, and will take care of your pup as though he were my own.

Call me if you need a short term home for your dog.

Lisa Roscoe

lisaroscoe wrote:

I am an American dog lover living in Cairo and opening up a small kennel for dog people who cannot travel with their pets and want more than just a place to put them.

At the moment I can only take one dog at a time as I am searching for the right space for a kennel - a house with a yard and easily secured, with lots of room to play and run around but also protected from the outside.

I need space where they can be boarded indoors as well as out should it get too hot/cold - although it's the heat that is of most concern, and while local dogs and indigenous animals are acclimated, often newly expat animals are not, and may require extra care and attention, especially when their families travel.

I say family because I come from a culture where your pet is part of the family and that's how I would want my dog treated if I had to leave him for an extended period.  I love dogs and eventually would like to do dog rescue in Cairo, education, and provide neutering services.

I have many friends and colleagues through the American University in Cairo where I did undergrad and graduate work, know reputable veterinarians, and will take care of your pup as though he were my own.

Call me if you need a short term home for your dog.

Lisa Roscoe

Hi Lisa,
I am searching for a kennel to my Bonnie, 4 months GSD, for the 1 month. If you interest I am wait your PM ..

Yes of course I would be happy to.

Some questions about Bonnie and your plans:

Will you be available by telephone?
Where is Bonnie's vet located?
Does she have any current medical conditions?

And of course, is she house trained?  Many people keep young pups crated for the first months while they are away from the house, as a training method.  This method is approved by most reputable trainers, vets and my local Humane Society.  Is Bonnie crated?

Please feel free to call me at 019-424-4820 or drop me an email at:

[email protected]

When will you be leaving?   Also please leave me your name and phone number, and we can arrange a time to meet, to see that Bonnie and I are compatible and you feel comfortable leaving her with me.

Look forward to speaking with you!

Lisa

lisaroscoe wrote:

Yes of course I would be happy to.

Some questions about Bonnie and your plans:

Will you be available by telephone?
Where is Bonnie's vet located?
Does she have any current medical conditions?

And of course, is she house trained?  Many people keep young pups crated for the first months while they are away from the house, as a training method.  This method is approved by most reputable trainers, vets and my local Humane Society.  Is Bonnie crated?

Please feel free to call me at 019-424-4820 or drop me an email at:

[email protected]

When will you be leaving?   Also please leave me your name and phone number, and we can arrange a time to meet, to see that Bonnie and I are compatible and you feel comfortable leaving her with me.

Look forward to speaking with you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
How you doing?, i hope that every thing around you is fine, and thanks for your prompt reply.

First, let me tell you my plan, now i am looking for kennel to Bonnie for 2-3 months and during this duration i will take her home on Friday and Saturday for walking and playing ....

second, i will be available 24/7, her vet location on Pyramids street, 2 days ago she got a flu, and i went to vet to give her the medicine , and now she is very well.

Third, regarding the training, as i don't have any experience in how to training a dog, i saw some tutorials on you-tube, and i trained her to set when i told here set "but in Arabic language ", trained to make the toilet out side the home but i have to take here outside, Now i am need help from expertise person  to complete the basic training...

Finally, check your in-box regarding all my contact details,
For further information, don't hesitate to contact me, and your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Islam

lisaroscoe wrote:

Lisa Roscoe

hi lisa,

i will keep your information on hand in the event i do relocate. wish you well on your new business. i'm sure you will have a burgeoning business with the number of expats in cairo with their beloved dogs. i have a ridgeback and relocating him is my biggest concern so i understand the need for a reliable boarder/kennel.

good luck and please keep the forum up to date regarding your information as i am sincere about contacting you if needed.

cheers,

k