Exaptriates research

Hello everyone,

I am working on my PhD and it is about expatriates working in Saudi Arabia.

I want to see the best way to select my target sample. I knew that there are many governmental bodies that offer such information and databases. However, such information is not helpful for my research because I am working on two types of expatriates. The first group is those who have been sent by their employers' (traditional expatriates). Second are expats who are travelling on their own without having organisational and financial support.

I need advice on how to find the two different groups.

Best
Saeed

Any thoughts..in this beautiful Riyadh night:cool:

I didn't know you could come out here without any support??

LoopyLou87 wrote:

I didn't know you could come out here without any support??

Thank you LoopyLou87 for your reply and you are absolutely right about the needs for support to travel for work anywhere in this world. However, I am talking here about the support coming from the parent company overseas. Theoretically, people who have been sent by their employer to work in Saudi will be in good hand giving that their parent companies offer them support in relation to accommodations, kids schools, health insurance as well as day to day management support. On the other hand, expatriates who been recruited by international and local recruitment agencies will be responsible for these things. I know there is another argument saying out of sight- out of mind, where also traditional expatriates in some occasions left without parent company support, but in theory management people believe in their management policies and procedures.   
Saudi has more than eight million expatriates working in different sectors and unfortunately the research about their life, work and issues is lacking.

At the end ‘Everyone needs help from everyone' (Bertolt Brecht)

Ah Ok I understand now - well without contacting the companies I imagine it wouldn't be too easy finding such people. The majority of who I know with a "business" visa and parent companies in another country are mostly staying at hotels or outside accomodation. So not easy to track them down. Everyone I know on comounds are all company provided and often paid by the company. There is of course some who do pay for housing themselves - I find the majority of those also live outside due to high deposits and rents. Without having a spare 100k in your back pocket renting in advanced on compounds is not often viable.

Many of us are here working for Saudi organizations so your questions don't apply to us.