Compound Life

Hello Everyone,

I've recently accepted a teaching position in Jeddah and am supposed to be moving there in the next 2-3 months. I look forward to meeting many of you :)

My question is about compound life, and the social scene in these compounds. I've read that different rules apply to those who live in compounds (i.e., men and women socialize freely, women may drive, there are cinemas there, security is minimal once inside, etc.), how true is this?

I will be moving to Saudia City compound; does anyone know anything about this compound? What are the demographics of the people who live there? is there a strong expat community there? how do young singles spend their time there?

Thanks,
Ramy

Hello Ramy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will soon be able to tell you more about compound life.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi
Saudi City is quite large - there are expats from many different places here - English, US, Phillipino, Egyptian, African, Dutch - I'm an Australian..... I can't say what singles do or if there are different expectations on them here on the compound - but I am free to associate with whom I like. Some single female quarters are separately gated (flight attendants) and patrolled within the main compound so they may have their own things organised or have different rules.

Compound has supermarket, pharmacy, 2 restaurants, dry cleaner, library - no cinema. There are pools and sports clubs/gymnasiums and a women's centre/ women only pool-gym, many play social tennis on Wed pm and there is a baseball comp that runs as well - notes often go up on the noticeboards around the supermarket. Also sometimes a whole compound event - we had a 'Bizarre' here a couple of months ago. There is also Saudi Club - but rules are 'outside' ones where abeya etc is required and there is an annual fee to join (we haven't bothered). Women do not need abeya and can drive on compound.

People are pretty friendly - so your neighbours or colleagues are likely to be able to help once you get here.  Most singles are located in accom with other singles - or with couples. Other compounds have different facilities - if you work with people from those compounds you would be able to perhaps access some of those activities as well.

cheers, D

Thank you AurélieZ and dragonladyoz for your messages :)

Hey I am also moving out to eddah in August to teach.  Which school will you be teaching in?

Thanks to all of you this info is amazing. Do you know the compound website o telephone number? I am a Spanish single expat and I would like to live at Saudia Compound.

Hi Ramy

I too will be moving to Jeddah and would love to talk with you about the many questions we may have about our new adventure to Jeddah! Perhaps we could call each other and talk if you live in US. I am in South Carolina. Are you teaching at the AISJ? Hope we can connect.

Jenwags

Just outside of Hilton Head in Beaufort County. What can you tell me about of Jeddah and compound life?