Artist/Writer Trying To Relocate To Beautiful Singapore from NYC

I love my city but when I visited Singapore it was like a tropical version of NYC. WoW!  I recently went on an Asia tour and I enjoyed it a lot.  I myself am a single man and have lived in different parts of US and have enjoyed it.  What was of interest was the Real Estate Market in Singapore is still strong.  The US still has some strong spots but I first wanted to see the possibilities of moving to Singapore.   Basically, I wanted to invest in something(condo) but I don't think that gets a residency or citizenship.  I graduated in Fine Arts and ended up writing children's books and doing freelance illustration...but... if i wanted to start a business in Singapore...after a year they want to make sure you are generating over 300k to keep the EP...  I don't know any artist who makes that kind of money.  I subletted my apt in NY to cover costs and I was interested if there were any other Expats who found the system for immigration to Singapore a little complex?   Any artists who actually made it out to Singapore or even graphic designers?  Just curious if any creative types have actually made it to Singapore and how they accomplished it.  Peace   Aman

Hi Aman79,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hello and thanks for having these forums.  Possibly my questions are already answered...i will dig through some of the postings.  peace

Singapore has some of the easiest and clearest immigration rules on the planet - definitely a world apart from USA's muddyism.
However, it is clearly geared towards those the Singapore economy needs (i.e. having skills that are in demand here, or lots of money). There is no scope for freelancers or artists, unless they are already very famous.
You may try to get a teaching position at one of the arts schools. They get decent funding and being employed makes immigration much easier!
Or, if you have enough money to buy a Condo (min. S$1-2 million), you might also invest S$2.5 million in a local business to qualify for Global Investor Program (GIP) to get Permanent Residency (PR).
(If you are suprized that residential property is so expensive, you should do some serious research before you continue dreaming about Singapore!)