Seriously considering moving to Frankfurt from London. Any advice?

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am 37, British and I live in work in London. My wife is German and her family lives in Mannheim. Having grown very tired of life in London, my wife and I want to leave this all behind us and move to Germany and we have decided that Frankfurt seems like a good option with the possibilty of Berlin (a city my wife lived in for ten years before moving to London).

I guess my question is this... My level of German is basic, I have taken a few courses and had a few private lessons and tried other methods such as online and CD/MP3 based formats and yet I have never really progressed much. I am degree educated, currently work in a university library and I guess my main question is whether anyone has any advice? We really want to get out London and the general opinion is that my language skills would improve if I live in Germany and this would improve my job prospects. Also I would be grateful if anyone has an opinion on Frankfurt versus Berlin with regards to job opportunities for someone like myself.

Thanks.

Dear Amn,
all the good luck for you from moving to london. i have been living in london too.  well, ill prefer you to live in frankfurt . and for the german language upto what extent can you speak? try to communicate in german  mostly  with your wife as its a big plus point for you to improve and learn more.. In germany, is very important that you speak german for a good job as the prefer more german rather than english.
do let me know if i can help you in any thing :)

regards
ahzan

Thank you very much Azhan for the reply.

I can understand conversational german but I am only currently able to respond in a basic manner and I am just about able to answer and ask some questions. But of course sometimes I am completely lost and and have no idea what is being said or how to respond.

Thanks for the offer of help. Much appreciated

you are most welcome amn.
well ,  there is a book names SPRACHKURS DEUTSCH, look for that if you can get it in london, go through the book from the level 1 and ask your wife to help completing this book, is very easy and you will gain much more knowledge.  yes i can understand that and some times v r really lost :D try to make some online german friends and chat in german (google goethe institut). and what youhave some thing new don't forget to write and ofcourse have a dictionary installed in ur pc too.  learn a little vocabulary. try to speak no matters wrong but just speak it up. slowly ull feel the differnce :)

have a nice time :)