Expat families with younger children

Hi,
We may be moving to KL in the next few months. We have 2 children who would go into an International school (not sure which yet). Year groups P2 & P3. I would love some feedback on which school is best for offering a well-rounded and broad curriculum. We have preference for a British curriculum. Also, a concern of mine is health, particularly for my children. We would be leaving the cool termperate climate of Scotland where although the weather is mediocre at best it doesn't have any nasty mosquitoes carrying life threating parasites that cause malaria, dengue fever, encephalitis,etc. Is this a common problem in KL? Are children regularly infected from mosquitoes? Are children recommended to take anti-malarial medication? I envisage my children sleeping in mosquitoe nets at night, wearing deet, head to toe, from morning to night, and never playing outside in the evening. I may sound overly paranoid but I hope living in KL does not pose such a health threat as I fear it may. Also, what about asthma? Is it commonly prevalent among youth given the air quality is reportedly poor?

On the otherhand, I am excited about allowing my children to explore a new culture, perhaps learn another language and just enjoy what another part of the world has to offer.

Any insight welcomed and appreciated.Thank you!

Fourabroad

I'm also moving from the UK to KL in Aug/Sept. I've been before and you don't have to take anti-malerial tablets or sleep under mossie nets. KL is a very modern city and I wouldn't envisage it being a health threat otherwise nobody would go. I would suggest you visit beforehand to get a feel of what it's like, but personally I think it's a lovely vibrant city which has a lot to offer. As for schools my children are going to Australian International School, but I do suggest you get in early at the schools as they usually have waiting lists.
Anyway good luck if you decide to move.

been in kl now a few weeks and i have a ten month old and a nine year old and trust me i never worry about mozzies reason being i live in a condo and i doubt mozzies fly that high. im from kenya , mozzie paradise , they are nasty yes , i havent seen one here....i miss them lol ...the sound only hihihi

Want to connect? we have been living here since last 2 years.
Moved from Singapore:P

Hi fourabroad,

I don't think you need to worry about mosquitoes, especially not in KL the city itself. I am the type that mosquitoes usually flock to so was thinking I would need to be armed with insect repellant everyday but while I've had one or two bites when out at night, it's been nothing to worry about.

If you are living in a condo you will probably hardly see any as they don't usually venture up that high, our condo also conducts mosquito fogging twice a week just to be on the safe side.

If you are very concerned, just make sure you do not live anywhere backing onto jungle/parklands and you should be fine.

Regarding the climate, I have several friends who have moved here from Scotland and the general consensus is that they much prefer the climate here! Cheers

Thank you Diana and Lisa for info on mosquitoes - much relieved!