Expat life in Sunter, North Jakarta

Hey Guys!

My name's Samantha and I'm interviewing for a job located in Sunter, North Jakarta. I'm currently based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

I'd really appreciate knowing some more about life in Indonesia.
What's life like for an expat in Indonesia?
What's an average cost of accommodation?
Is there a good social life?
Anything I should be aware of before moving?

Any advice and info would be great.

Thanks,

Sam :)

Hi samantha,

Jakarta is a nice place. Average accomodation would be around 400 usd per month. Theres also a lot of social life here. A good place to visit.

Just be aware of the tax and visa processing here, you can also negotiate your accomodation to your employer.

Regards and goodluck

Noel

Hi Samantha,

How did it go with the interview?

I live in Sunter. I would say it's a pretty good area to live. It's considerably a quite safe area to live (well, in my opinion anway). You might not see a lot of expat live in Sunter. But on the other hand, there are a lot of shopping centre close to Sunter. I lived there for around 10 years before moving to Australia and once I go back to Jakarta, I will live there again.

If you are after an accomdation, what kind of accomodation are you after? A house or an apartment? I can't think any good apartment in Sunter (at least compare to Australia. but they are
building a good one in front of Sunter Lake).
I suppose you wont get any culture shock if you move to Jakarta considering that you are living in Cambodia. 1 thing you might be aware of is the traffic. It's quite bad but you will get used to it. It just takes longer to travel around.
If you have any question, just ask me. Maybe I can help.