Saudi Arabia bans using Gregorian dates

Saudi Arabia bans using Gregorian dates

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-ara … -1.1024301

The use of the English language to answer calls or communicate, mainly in companies and hotels, has also been banned

Dubai: Saudi Arabia has banned all government and private agencies from using the Gregorian calendar in official dealings.

The use of the English language to answer calls or communicate, mainly in companies and hotels, has also been banned, a local daily said.

All ministries and agencies have to use the Hijri dates (Islamic calendar) and the Arabic language, the interior ministry said. The ministry attributed its decision to preserving the Islamic calendar and the Arabic language, Arabic daily Al Watan reported.

In the statement to the ministries and establishments, the ministry said that it noted that some government entities were using Gregorian dates "unnecessarily", in a violation of high orders and instructions. Several hotel and company receptions used English in their communications, the ministry said.

However, ministries and agencies could use the Gregorian calendar, whenever needed, on the condition that it is associated with the corresponding Hijri date.

Hmmm....interesting sharing! Many Thanks.

I strongly believe it's merely a rumour initiated by a foreign newspaper. Of course I can't even guess the intentions :)

No ref found in any Saudi newpaper. One article found in a saudi newpaper (published Nov 2011) which is an opinion in 180 degrees.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cf … 1126112768

A group of religious scholars here say reliance on the Hijri calendar for official business is isolating Saudi Arabia politically and economically from the rest of the world.

Actually, where I work use of the Hijri calendar rather than the Gregorian was initiated last year.  Talk about a mess! Nobody can figure out their annual leave days, EOC date, etc.!

Only one +ve face of the dice: One Gregorian year is one Hijri year + 20 days. Guess what? :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Only one +ve face of the dice: One Gregorian year is one Hijri year + 20 days. Guess what? :)

Actually, the Hijri calendar makes you 2 years older than your actual age :mad: 

I need to find a calendar that makes me younger :lol:

True! Approx 18 Greg years = 19 Hijri Years.

Does that mean you are 36 years old @Allie? :unsure

TheLegendLeads wrote:

If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

:lol:

nice decision for arab culture

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

:lol:

I guessed it right ;)

http://looneytunes09.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/kill_me_now.jpg

I say 64 years old :rolleyes:

The Chinese calendar also makes a person two years older, and according to them this year is currently 2006.  It's very confusing. That's not counting the Ethipian calender, the Hindu Calender, Arabic calendar....etc etc etc,and many others which I'm not aware of.  Somebody is obviously way off in their Math.  They can't all be right. 

As for the alleged ban on English for the service industry, I'm sure that, if true, the international hotels, and businesses will simply ignore that decree, as English is the one language that is internationally common, and is critical for international business, and lodging international travelers.  Someone told me the other day that in France, the French government has a similar ban on industries using English, and has ordered that French dictionaries remove any words which are Anglo in origin, or are borrowed English words.  Non-English speakers of the world, unite and overthrow the English menace!!!...hehe

Abu_Adel wrote:

:dumbom:

The new voacabulary word of the day:  "anglo-phobic"

Dave-KSA wrote:

The new voacabulary word of the day:  "anglo-phobic"

Pertaining to language but not to our money :mad:

I guess when Arabic becomes a major language in the world stage; not a regional one;  and replaces English as the international language of music, business, technology, and banking, then a backlash against English may be justified.

I wish they would also pay salaries based on the Hijri Calendar which will then give employees 12 monthly salaries in a 354 day year

Alliecat wrote:
Abu_Adel wrote:

:dumbom:

Why ?? 64 years is Mathematically correct ....

Thank you musicman for the confirmation Hijri Calendar = 354 days & we know that the gregorian one = 365 (or 366) days so the difference = 11 days     

musicman wrote:

I wish they would also pay salaries based on the Hijri Calendar which will then give employees 12 monthly salaries in a 354 day year

365 / 11 = 33.18 ==> to have 2 years more relative to Hijri you should have 66 years old !

Conclusion : you are 64 years OLD ..

Ps : don't worry, in cat age makes you only 12 years old :lol:

Welcome back, by the way ....

Use the mayan calendar and we can all go home now.

Its simple. Just add 1 year for every 33 Gregorian years and you get your Hijri Age.

I am 64+ Gregorian now which makes me around 65.9 Hijri Years old this year

However, ministries and agencies could use the Gregorian calendar, whenever needed, on the condition that it is associated with the corresponding Hijri date.

This is a 10 year old post.  The information given in it, is no longer relevant.   Mods please close thread.

Hello all,

This thread is now being closed. If you have any information to share then kindly create a new discussion on the Saudi Arabia forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]

Closed