Healthcare in Nepal

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Nepal ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Nepal?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

The health care is all private really, as you have to pay for treatments from government established hospitals.  I would advise g]etting insurance if you can, I have spent alot of time in Nepal and only once needed treatment, but that was in the middle of a rural area and at a free hospital so involved an opperation with no anesthetic.

Not something I would like to go through again.

Aslong as you are in or near a major town and you have insurance then you shouldn't have any problems.

Roddy.

Thank Roddy for contributing :)

Aurélie

ciwec-clinic.com

Best english speaking health care in Kathmandu!  Not too far from Hotel Shanker.

Ciwec is well established and where all the expats and diplomats go. What you must know is that this Clinic is very expensive.
When I came down with a severe case of viral hepatitis some while back, doctors I consulted there explained to me that they did not have the appropriate equipment in Kathmandu to diagnose whether I had viral hepatitis A, B, C or E type?  They said they only had equipment in Kathmandu to test two out of four most common types of this disease. They therefore proposed to send my specimen to a Government hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, to make the diagnosis.
Three months later, I was still waiting, with no results in hand, and nothing received from Bangkok.
What sticks in my mind from that period was the receipt of a bill of over $300.00
I never want back to Ciwec for that reason.
For general information, both E and A have a faecal-oral route, which means that transmission is made by ingesting something contaminated with faeces. It is a well documented fact that both these types are common in Nepal.