Healthcare in Jordan

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Jordan ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Jordan?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Health care system in Jordan is well established for many years. Describing it as Efficient depends on your own definition fore efficiency. I can say that the health care system in Jordan is following international standards of care using the latest technology in diagnosing diseases. The health care workers are holding recognized university degrees in different fields. Intentional medical care guidelines are followed in treating and managing diseases.
The difference between the public and private sector : Public insurance covers employees working for government sector, Military sector as well. The public and military sectors covers employees and the families for free treatment either in hospital or as out patient services. The private sector would receive client as cash payers or privately insured through one of the insurance companies. Depending on the type of insurance and the coverage , clients may has to pay detectable. Private insurance does not cover pre-existing condition and clients may go through waiting period to cover the service they are looking for.

Is worth buying insurance : I would encourage people to buy private insurance as the cost of treatment is costly either in or out of hospital.

Dear Julien,

Over all, I'm pretty comfortable with the health system in Jordan and feel safe and secure to put myself and family into the hands of local doctors, many of whom are graduates from the West.

I've had a minor operations involving general and local anesthetic, my dad was cured of cancer here (in the King Hussein Cancer Centre, even though we had the option of going back to UK), my wife went through her pregnancy here, and just had a home-birth three weeks ago.

From what I have seen, medicine in Jordan is just an extension of medicine in US, but just much cheaper.

Due  to the dependability, with the exception of government hospitals, and low cost, I personally believe that an expat can rely on being treated in Jordan and being cured without having to have health insurance (though many companies will give you that in your contract anyway).

I hope this helps.

Farid