Getting Relocated to Mauritius

Hi All,

Need more information. I would be relocating to Mauritius in Oct 2009. The company is based in Grand Bay. They would take care of my stay for the first one month.

I need to have a decent furnished 2/3 bedroom apartment/house. My wife and 2 sons aged 10 and 8 would join me after 6 months.

I would also want to know whether there is Indian population and is it possible to stay nearby

Schools for the children.

And most important would be the cost of living.

Any help is highly appreciated.

REgards
RAjasekhar

Hi Rajasekhar,

You can look in to http://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/

I will be also moving to Mauritius by end of OCT.

I would like to know

How to make call's to India? any calling cards available?
How to transfer money to India?

Thanks!

senthil

I am surprised for lack of any updates on the questions asked. Please do find time and update me. It would be helpful in planning things so that I dont have any surprises.

Hi rajasekhar, you should be a little bit more patient ;)

senthil is right, you should firstly consult lexpressproperty to find out more about accommodations.

Indian culture and population is part of Mauritius. It won't be a problem to make friends. Maybe our Indians in Mauritius page could help you to make a few contacts?

You should have a look to these discussions:
International schools in Mauritius
Private schools in Mauritius
Cost of living in Mauritius

Hope this helps,

Julien

Thanks a bunch Julien. I have been reading all your posts. You are our savior.

Regards
Rajasekhar

You'll also find plenty of information in the expat Mauritius guide

Hi, I can understand your hurry to get answers.  Can we know about your budget? This would help in replying fully to your questions.

Indian communities (expat workers) are spread fairly well around. If you are near a textiles company, you're sure to get closer :) Else some of them are on the central plateau - with higher level professionals in Floreal (I know some doctors working at Apollo are based in Ebene flat).

I think Indians do really feel at home here, and thus they (thank God) do not feel the urge to confine themselves into an expat bubble... like so many others do !

Thanks Nadeem.

Its no hard and fast rule that I have to be in a place where Indians are. I just wanted to know if staying nearby is fine. My work would be in Grand Baie and am definately looking for an accomodation nearby that place.

Looking for a 2 or 3 BR apartment/house with security and fully furnished.

Rajasekhar

Hello Rajasekhar

If you're living in Grand Baie, then the choice is very wide-spread to you.  You can get accomodation in the same village but it is no secret that prices are relatively high there. If I were in your place, I'd choose one of those nearby villages like Pointe aux Cannoniers, Trou aux Biches, Petit Raffray, The Vale, Fond Du Sac, etc. 

There you can find decent and even upscale accomodations.  I know some villas in Petite Raffray.. just waow! Why I would leave in another village than Grand Bay? Cause at night G Bay tend to be very busy and noisy... I'll definitely not be able to sustain 1 week there :D

Other villages are very calm, and peaceful..., with still Mauritians living with same mentality as 20 years ago (authentic smile and sincere).

Prices will be slightly lower for sure.. and took me 20 minutes on my bicycle (when I was young :)) to ride from my Plaine des Papayes village to G Bay. All the other villages I mentionned are nearer to Grand Bay than that !

Hello Nadeem,

From what I have been told is that the proximity to shops/restaurants is more in Grand Bai than any other place. Correct me if I am wrong. I would be coming to Mauritius in 3rd week of October. So hence looking for something good, so that I dont keep shuffling in order to find something good

Rajasekhar

Yes the site definately rocks. I would be there in Mauritius in 3rd week of October. My company is giving me the first month free accomo.. so I can utilize the time to get one decent accomo.

Planning to stay in Grand Baie only.. though it could be a bit expensive.

Rajasekhar

Hi Rajasekhar,

I guess you are right, to start, stay in Grand Bay and let your family enjoy the place and then you decide where your want to settle. If you are still looking for the apartment, let me know in which range of price you want may be I can help you.

Regards,
re

Hi,
We are looking at relocating to Maurtius (town unknown at this stage but possibility Grand Baie area).

We are Afrikaans speaking and have 3 children currently in Afrikaans schools in Gauteng.  They do have English as a second language at school, they can speak a little and understand quite a bit but not to good with the writing.

Is there any Afrikaans families who can advise me on the adjustment to the English speaking schools in Mauritius?

Are there any problems that arise (and cannot be overcome) with the Afrikaans speaking children?

Also I will be coming employed by my current company but my husband will need to resign here.  Is there any advice on where he can look for employment when we arrive in Mauritius?

What type of permit will he need to apply for in order to go look for work there?

Hi, I guess it won't be a problem for your children to get admission in Northfield Internation School, because there are lots of french speaking children there. I even know a Belgium girl, speaking only french get in there and now she is doing her fourth year with nice result. The only thing she had to take some private tuition, with qualified teachers of the same school, just to do some recap. You are most welcome to Mauritius, I'm sure there will be lots of people giving you helping hand to settle.

Regards,
Re

I've got some friends from South Africa living in G Bay. One of them had some concern with his kid speaking only Afrikaans, but I know he's doing fine at school now.

I'll get in touch with him and tell what he's done exactly. Which school he admitted his son, and then get back to you !