Cost of Living in Islamabad

How much is it realistically to live i.e food, electric, water, internet, telephone a/c units..oh and a washing machine.. I don't trust outsiders in my home in the UK let alone in another country  so don't want to have to employ help unless I really have to after trying to do it myself first.

Myself and my husband run a business from home so will continue to do this from Pakistan but am trying to work out roughly how much it will all cost..rent i've already researched and wont be for long as we are purchasing land to build our own property near Murree.

The only other question I have is whether or not schools in Pakistan cater for disabled children (my daughter is able-bodied but has A.S.D, arteriovascular malformations in the brain and outside of the skull,a hole in her skull and has a malformed upper spine so although she is 6 she has the functioning age of 15-18 mth old) and I'm struggling with myself re:schooling as she currently attends a special needs school here in the UK with classes no larger than 7 pupils..so certainly couldnt cope with a normal mainstream school.. private tutoring @ home or are there schools available that could cater for her needs??

Don't even suggest boarding schools, do not trust outsiders with my daughter..

Any comments/advice would be appreciated on all of the above :)

Internet and telephone is really cheap need not to bother, electricity is very expensive. In summers expect to get electricity for less than 12 hours a day as pakistan is facing a real power shortage. Better add a good Power generator/ UPS in your budget. Or else get a house in Bahria Town, Islamabad. They don't have electricity shoutdowns, I don't know why.

For home appliances visit the following website, but if you go to the market, you need to use your bargaining skills to save some cash...
shophive.com/shophive/Washing-Machine-c-359.pakistan.html
shophive.com/shophive/Air-Conditioners-c-355.pakistan.html

Aquafina 6 Gal water bottle cost Rs150. There are a lot of companies supplying water to doorstep but go for nestle or Aquafina, they are the only certified drinking water. Tap water is very cheap but should not be used for drinking/cooking.

Food is a bit difficult to comment on, if I give you an example of our house (family of five+ one servant) running a kitchen for a month cost around 45000 PKR(Bakery, meat, veg, fruits, grocery incl. toiletries and other household consumables). You might be able to manage it in 15K as well or may be 75k.

Following is the list of Schools.
facebook.com/notes/safetyaid-co/list-of-special-institues-in-islamabad/130574453633061
I don't have first hand information about any of them, but I will ask my friends and would get back to you if I get any thing.

Hanash Dear,
Though living in Islamabad is hard but not that expensive actually.

bahria town has its own grid station where they generate there electricity via fuel and charge it on every house on monthly basis based upon the amount of electricity used

You are right Dr. Hassan

Unfortunately, even for healthy kids it is difficult to find a good quality school(in Islamabad). Most families do keep their disabled kids home and have professionals coming over to work with them. There are few institutions(one of them close by SZIA), but i wouldn't trust my child to them... Professionalism is the big issue. Sometimes i sadly think that this country is not 'designed' for the people with dissabilities.

[Moderated: rude language]

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,15964649,00.htmlhttp://berkeleyjournalofsocialsciences.com/Feb%201.pdf

Hope this info will be useful. Lana.

i know that some Turkish families in bahria town, they are spending roughly 1200$/month for ordinary things for example food, bills, house rent, some dinner outside, health etc. according to your lifestyle it can reach 3000$. House staffs are in Metro supermarket, roughly same prices. For example front load ordinary washing machine 30000 Rs to 55000 Rs.currency is 01,00 $ = 93,50 Rs approximately. Totally house settling and stuffs are 3500$ to 10000$. Furniture, carpets, LCD TV, Kitchen Appliances, Washing Machine, A/C, Heaters, curtains etc.