Introduction

Hi All:

I look forward to communicating with other folks living here in Colombia. I'm in Medellin and have been here for a bit more than a year and a half.  My relationship with the country goes back to the early 1980 when I worked on environmental baseline studies for the El Cerrejon mine.

I have been working on a blog about life in Medellin. Being a botanist and avid gardener it has a lot of plant related stuff. It also has some observations on day-to-day life. Please take a look if it sounds like it may be of interest to you.

Phil Bunch
pbunch.wordpress.com/

I was working with gold mining company. I think you would be better off in the Bogota area if you are looking for emeralds.

Hello Phil!

I really liked your blog. Those photos of Medellin and surrounding area are beautiful!  I'm just about to move to Colombia for the first time (Bogota), and I'm trying to find out as much as possible before I go.  I love Colombia already, I know it will be great for me.  But I'd love to talk to you about your experiences as an expat.

Saludos!

Megan

Phil,

what a very helpful blog you have. thanks very much for the information about Medellin and I hope to be there in the winter!

JL

Thanks John. Welcome to Medellin.

I have been a bit lax about it recently but I will be focusing more on it now. Please let me know what kind of information you would like to see. Also I am still interested in working with others to form an expat face-to-face group here. If you are interested in such a group please let me know.

Phil Bunch

Will this be like your last attempt at an expat get together where you never showed up?

Probably not. As I said previously I was there but we did not connect. I think in the future we should exchange photos and/or ware something distinctive. Have you thought about making another attempt at organizing a get together?

I've already invested 26,000 pesos in taxi fares from the last get together. As far as connecting, the last time I followed your instructions to the letter so I fail to see why there should have been a problem.

Perhaps you have a better way to organize it?

Sure...you come to MY territory and invest YOUR time and money. I guarantee you that I am always reliable and on time.

peace guys, peace !

Len: No problem. I would like to see a group get started and I don't really care just where. I'll buy you a beer.

Julien wrote:

peace guys, peace !

You're somewhat mistaken in your analysis. We're not having a fight but rather a healthy, peaceful discourse.

I will get back to you Phil with a plan. I assume that Sunday is the best day for you?

ooops sorry for my last message

No problem:).

Sunday is often good but sometimes we are up at the finca.

Let me know a date that is good for you and we'll go from there.

Do you want to publicize it to see if we can get more folks involved? One other guy on Expat.com has expressed interest. I also have a friend who will be coming into town from California in June. He will be working here and would like to connect with more people.

We can publicize it if you wish and see what happens. Anyone interested must send an affirmation via the forum or PM so we have some idea of how many (if any) other people to expect.

Julian suggested we use individual messages sent out a specific crowd. I'm not sure what the mechanism would be but it sounds like it might be better than a simple shotgun approach. He offered assistance doing this.

I might be open for that. I think that the criteria should be members specifically living in Medellin and the surrounding Antioquia area. IMO, people who didn't show any response the first time, will most likely not respond this time and again IMO it would be just a waste of time and energy to sit and wait on our hands for a response the second time around. Einstein's theory of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."