POLY CLINIC VS BELIZE CITY HOSPITAL

Hey all...hoping to get some feedback on which is better, the poly Clinic on Ambergris Caye or one of the hospitals in Belize City?  We will be moving to Dec.'12.  And how can we get out of buying a return ticket home since we don''t know how long we will be staying?  Thanx all    Cathy    :)

Hello cscottdo.

Hope other members will be able to help you.

Thanks,
Aurélie

Return tickets are not a requirement on Belize's part, but rather something certain airlines impose.  You can either find an airline that will let you fly here one way. Or, it is actually cheaper to buy a round trip ticket - you don't have to use the return leg if you don't want to.

There's only one hospital in Belize (Karl Heusner Memorial), which is only so so. You'd be better off going to Belize Medical Associates instead.  I've heard good things about the PolyClinic in San Pedro too - www.tacogirl.com has blogged about going there many times and she seems quite happy with their care. But for more advanced stuff, you'll be heading to Belize City or Merida, Mexico.

Wealthships wrote:

Return tickets are not a requirement on Belize's part, but rather something certain airlines impose.  You can either find an airline that will let you fly here one way. Or, it is actually cheaper to buy a round trip ticket - you don't have to use the return leg if you don't want to.

She's right.  Sometimes it's less costly to purchase a round-trip ticket than one-way.  Also, having that round-trip ticket could prove useful in case you need to go back unexpectedly.  You will have to pay a change fee ($150 for USAirways, but every airline is probably different), but that's a lot less than purchasing another ticket.  I believe you can use the second half of your ticket for up to a year after you originally purchased it.

Thank you both for the info!  Can't wait to get down there!!!!  7mths and 1 day!!!:D

Both Emily and Sharon always have great advice and information.

Poly Clinic is not really a hospital. There are some good doctors on the island. Had to do a late night visit once recently and was happy with the service Dr Dan gave me.

There is a tremendous diversity in medical care both on Ambergris Caye as well as throughout Belize in general. 

The director of the Polyclinic, Javier Zuniga, MD, is a professor at the local medical school. I also am a professor as well as a couple other local MD's.  When you arrive we can be a resource for health related questions, and the medical school contact information is 226-2682. 

Travel safe and feel free to contact the school when you arrive.

Thank you so much for all the info!  One other question, I just talked to my travel nurse, and she suggested malaria meds since we plan on short visits to the mainland, yet I had been reading that the only people who need it are like the archeologist...what to beleive?
Thanx, Cathy

cscottdo wrote:

Thank you so much for all the info!  One other question, I just talked to my travel nurse, and she suggested malaria meds since we plan on short visits to the mainland, yet I had been reading that the only people who need it are like the archeologist...what to beleive?
Thanx, Cathy

We have never used malaria meds and have traveled to the mainland quite a bit in the past year, including hiking in the jungle.  I wouldn't want to tell you what to do, but I think so long as you use insect repellent, the malaria risk is quite low.

TY CaribeGal...That is what I had been hearing, and I beleive the less meds the better...