Expat shipping a computer

I am looking to move to Berlin for the summer, with a long term expat "option". I need to have a computer to maintain my income, and I would prefer to bring the one I have, rather than sell it and buy new (which is going to cost at least a grand after adding in what I sell the current one for.
Anyone have a recommendation; especially shipping like LuggageForward vs additional baggage on the flight? I am looking at $350 to ship, vs $150 on the plane, but I worry about damage and/or TSA folks stealing stuff.

Thanks!
Gordon

If you ship from outside of the EU, you will have to pay 19% VAT (on the current value, which you have to prove) and possibly also customs duties.
Items for personal use brought with you on the plane are tax-free.

(If you take up long-term residence in Germany, you can have the VAT and customs on shipped items waived, but the paperwork is onerous.)

I definitely recommend urelocation.com. With airport security being the way it is, I don't like taking stuff like that on the plane with me.

If it's a laptop, you could just put it in your carry on bag. They allow more weight if you've got a laptop in there.

i was also wondering if it is a laptop, since you can easily take it as carry on. for a desktop  you could consider selling the screen, take the rest as carry on and buy a new screen in germany.
i would never put a computer in check-in luggage! and for the price of shipping you can almost buy a new computer (unless you need a really fancy one).