Work permit and gay partner

Hi Everyone,

I know that similar questions have been asked already, but I couldn't find a definitive answer to them and wonder if anyone has any recent information.

My situation is that I am very excited by the possibility of going to work in Mauritius for a multinational that would help arrange my residency. I am British. However, I have a same sex partner (also British)and the reading I have done suggests that he would only be able to stay for 6 months out of 12 and also he would have go in and out of the country a few times.

Is this understanding correct? If I could demonstrate that I can support both of us, is there some possibility of him being classed as a dependent.

I was so excited by the possibility of working in Mauritius, but I'm worried that it might be unrealistic due to my personal life.

I'd be very grateful to hear any advice / experience that anyone would have to share on the matter.

P.

Hi putawashon and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

hi was just browsing the Expat.com when i found your post. You could eventually contact pils its an association for gay bi and transgenders. In june there is a big march . For your partner situation, He could easily stay if he gets a job. Things will turn out well so give a try and think positive
from phil

Hiya,

To my best knowledge (I dont think there are any changes), If you are offered a job, your partner can't get a residence permit.  They only approve for spouse and children I think.  SO, he will have to come as a tourist and the meximum stay is 6 months.  Also, I will like to tell you if ever he could come as well, he can't work in Mauritius unless he could get a job by himself and the employer agrees to pay him the minimum needed to for an expat. How hard or easy to find him a job for that salary will depend on his expertise and experience.

Hope other people can provide you more accurate updated information as I have left Mauritius now and I have lost track a bit of the latest laws.

Cheers
Radha

putawashon wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know that similar questions have been asked already, but I couldn't find a definitive answer to them and wonder if anyone has any recent information.

My situation is that I am very excited by the possibility of going to work in Mauritius for a multinational that would help arrange my residency. I am British. However, I have a same sex partner (also British)and the reading I have done suggests that he would only be able to stay for 6 months out of 12 and also he would have go in and out of the country a few times.

Is this understanding correct? If I could demonstrate that I can support both of us, is there some possibility of him being classed as a dependent.

I was so excited by the possibility of working in Mauritius, but I'm worried that it might be unrealistic due to my personal life.

I'd be very grateful to hear any advice / experience that anyone would have to share on the matter.

P.

As far as I can see, there are certainly gay people in Mauritius but gay marriage is not legal( and centuries i think before it ever comes up ) and as a consequence you can't have a same sex partner in the legal framework strictly speaking