Philippines Stopping Filipinas from Leaving As A Tourist?

I have a filipina girlfriend who I invited to live with me in Thailand. She is hearing that Thailand immigration is stopping filipinos at the Bangkok airport for not having enugh thai money, for not having a valid reason to come in, etc., even though she has an 11-year old daughter in Manila and a round trip ticket. Thailand offers ANYONE a 30-day automatic tourist visa I have also heard that the Philippines immigration is also asking her why she's leaving the country.
What's true and what''s NOT true?
If you don't know, is there a web site or expat community you can recommend that can help me to protect her coming to Thailand?

yah ıts true...most of the fılıpına are very dıffıcult to get out of our own country ıts because of not havıng enough money..the ımmıgratıon ıs just aware of ıllegal happens...thats why they are very strıct..but ıf u brıng ur gf wıth u from here ı thınk ıts easy way for you..ıts also happen to me before..

I have heard first hand reports of immigration officials at Clark airport refusing to let Philippine girls get on the plane.  It is an attempt to stem the flow of people smuggling.

Also, a problem with using Filipinas as drug mules. Thailand is a predominant destination. Look how many are locked up in China as well.

yes its about money talk. everybodys welcome if have enough money. but even do have enough money there will be alot more investigation making more complicated.
philippines it should be easy they make it worst

yah rıgth..

hi thailen,

if your girlfriend is going out of the country for the first time, the immigration officials will ask her lots of questions to make sure that she is going back to Philippines. It isn't about the money, I go out for the first time with only USD100 in my pocket and i was never asked how much i have. They want to make sure that you won't be a burden for the country and you have the capacity to support yourself.

Some tips in immigration for first timers:

1. present round trip ticket
2. provide tour itinerary
3. hotel booking
4. if employed she must get Certificate of Employment from her company
5. if with business, bring business registration

Please note that visiting friends or boyfriends as her main reason of tour will sometimes cause her denial in immigration. Unless, she can provide those documents and answer the immigration officials properly, there's a high chance she won't be stopped in the airport.

Goodluck!!

She has an expired passport showing her leaving the Philippines for Singapore in 2008. I have given her a letter of support from me, where she's staying in Thailand, together with a copy of my passport and she has her roundtrip E-ticket to and from the Philippines and photos of me with her and her daughter.
She's going to DFA tomorrow to pick up her new passport and hopes to ask the immigration officials if there will be  any problems leaving Pinoy. If they say no,I'll meet her in Thailand. If yes, I'll fly there and bring her back.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Two questions:
Will it make a difference if she shows her expired passport showing her previous trip to Singapore?
If I do accompany her to the airport and to Thailand, will I have to do this every time she returns to Thailand from the Philippines?

yes, showing her previous travel in Singapore will make a difference. But, if she overstayed in Singapore she will be questioned in immigration. Don't worry much, let your girlfriend use her guts in dealing with immigration officials ;)

et is werry Sad wy Humens gif easchader satsch a hard time!!!!!

Hi Flying Fox, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.

I just heard from my GF. She has the pasport; she stayed in Singapore for 3 days. She also has a letter from me taking responsiiblity for her stay in Thailand and a copy of my passport. And a copy of her roundtrip ticket and some photos of me and her and her daughter.

She is confident she'll be able to leave the Philippines.
Are you concerned?

ishar18 wrote:

yes, showing her previous travel in Singapore will make a difference. But, if she overstayed in Singapore she will be questioned in immigration. Don't worry much, let your girlfriend use her guts in dealing with immigration officials ;)

hi harmonie what i said i it so sad that humans giving such a hard time to each other

Just as long as she has money, paid the proper local terminal fee and Philippine tourist tax and proper documents (round trip tickets, passport and sponsorship letter from you if you have a valid residence in thailand, if there's no hotel booking), she's good to go.

Hi... if she's a Filipina then visa application is not needed,she's free to stay up to maximum of 30 days upon arrival.She need to have a round trip ticket with a fixed schedule stating she will return not later than 30 days.She need atleast minimum of TBH 20,000 fund upon her stay.The 30 days free visa is only granted if she entering Thailand via International airport.However if she enters through land border checkpoints from neighboring countries they will grant  you a maximum of 15 days of stay.And the visit is just for tourist purpose only. I don't know why but I am also a Filipina and a regular traveler from Philippines accross europe to east of europe but i haven't have any problem. Recently I went to hongkong stayed for a few days and flew to Holland,And went to Faroe Island in Norway, visited Poland and went to Ukraine and stayed for few weeks and back to Philippines and in June returning to watch Football, I never had any problem traveling, except that it take so long to check-in my baggage in Manila airport,
every year I am traveling anywhere but no one stop me from Manila Int'l airport.

Hey, anybody answer or advise on this subject..I am an American coming to live in the Philippines with my wife of a year. What and which visa do I obtain to become a resident. We own property together.[/b][/b]

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that it is very difficult for a filipina to get a tourist visa anywhere (and almost impossible for a tourist visa to the US). I did everything "correctly" in trying to help a filipina friend to get a tourist visa to the US.....when she was turned down, I wrote to the Consul General in Manila and even to my Senators in Washington, DC, who really did try to help me.  But nothing worked, and I finally gave up after spending a year and many hundreds of dollars in the process.  This is discrimination, but nothing can be done about it.

ishar18 wrote:

Hello there,
   I wanted to comment on this post. You say let the gf "use her guts?" Are you implying this is a sort of shakedown that we see happening throughout the Philippines? That possibly being persistent, or adamant enough can make a difference?
What about..."some pesos" hand delivered to these so-called officials?

Hi

My Filipina wife has been in Thailand several times and she has never been asked for proof of sufficient money. She has been travelling alone since I am working in Thailand.

I do not believe the Philippine immigration will stop any Filipina tourists traveling alone.

If she is travelling with an expat boyfriend she might be questioned. Human trafficing is the concern. When Filipinas get married to expats a seminar is required. Without seminar they cannot leave together with their husband????
Why it should be safer to travel alone I do not understand.

When I was engaged to my present wife we left together. She was pulled away from and questioned what she was doing together with me. But they let her go.

Knud Nielsen

To Nielsen and others:

If you think jumping thru all these hoops(taking educational courses, bringing certified letters from the Thai Embassy in Manila(impossible to get - why should they, since you automatically get a 30-day tourist visa when entering the country?), bringing letters from your boyfriend, a 30-day RT ticket, make a difference, you're wrong. The ballgame has changed. Any single filipina is a target and if they want to deny her permission to leave, they'll do it. What HAS changed, however, is that your chances are greatly increased IF you fly over there and take her back. They may make you sign a form guaranteeing her expenses will be paid by you, but they really don't care how many days or months the Return Ticket is for. I recently flew to Clark and met her and after signing a form, they let us go together. Clark's previous immigration staff was either fired or relocated, because of their total rejction of ALL single filipinas. Now, it's better, but there are no guarantees...

There should be a valid reason why someone should be stopped at the airport and asked to fly back. It would be best to let her travel alone. Should she be questioned about her last entry, she must be able to answer thoroughly and clearly. Also, it will be helpful to attach the old passport with the new one.

I hope this helps you! Good luck!

Traveling alone will guarantee she won't be allowed to leave. Valid is in the mind of the immigration official, who thinks every single filipina is going to Thailand to work in a bar as a prostitute.
My GF's rejection slip said "need affirmation tourist visa stamped by Thai Embassy in Manila(absurd and impossible, never happen - my comment) and an affirmation letter from me, stamped by the Thai Embassy in Manila, identical to the one I wrote and attached to my copy of my passport.
Without my being at the Clark airport, she would still be in the Philippines.

the immigration in the Philippines is strict especially to visa free entry countries. filiipinas are victims of human trafficking,prostitution, plus undocumented Filipinos who leave the country for work to other countries.Don't be discouraged with the process, it is a system to minimize these problems. Anyway, she must prove that she is travelling for tourism purpose and not to go there for work or anything else. She needs to have some cash also or credit card to show in case the officer request to see it. and most of all, she needs to act like a real tourist. show the itenerary, hotel bookings,etc.

Jimf wrote:
ishar18 wrote:

Hello there,
   I wanted to comment on this post. You say let the gf "use her guts?" Are you implying this is a sort of shakedown that we see happening throughout the Philippines? That possibly being persistent, or adamant enough can make a difference?
What about..."some pesos" hand delivered to these so-called officials?

Please do not do that...do not encourage corruption.

Your answer shows you and Philippine Immigration are ignorant of the eco;nomic conditions in Thailand. First of all, coming as a prostitute to Thailand is like coming to the Philippines to work as a maid. There are so many prostitutes working in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket(among other tourist areas) that they couldn't get work if they tried. Second, getting a work permit - never mind as a prostitute - is almost impossible. ONly if she can teach English(not many filipinas speak English THAT WELL) can she get a work permit and then if she's lucky enough to teach in a school that will pay the 50,000 baht for the permit.

My GF had a letter from me promising to pay all her expenses, stapled to a copy of my passport and current visa.

The only way to insure she gets out under the current system is for me to fly to Clark or Manila to get her. Which is exactly what I did. No problem.

the immigration officer in the philippines does not care for the economic situation in Thailand or the percentage of obtaining a work there. what will stop any filipino from illegally working in a visa free entry country  if she does  decide to work illegally. Unless she is found out. This is a fact.

What is a fact is that filipinas only go to Thailand as girl friends of Western men. The pay for illegals is as low as it is for them working in the Philippines. they go to the U.S., Singapore, Dubai, anywhere BUT Thailand. If caught illegally, they will be deported immediately and will never be allowed back. I will not attempt to explain the idiotic, illogical, groundless and brainless policies of Philippine immigration officials toward their own people. I pity them and in fact, these policies are self-defeating, since they guarantee filipinas will continue to live in poverty and guarantee poverty for their families and children. It's insane!

Right said [Fred] many, it's an official government position, plausible in a time of Asia Tiger rising.

I think it is the same for most countries.  Single Filipinas are not allowed to leave the country because of many reasons:
- the might immigrate
- they may be very good candidates for job vacancies abroad and compete with locals
and a lot more.  Sometimes, having a sponsor/fiance doesn't even help. 

I once applied for a  visa (not for Thailand though) with COMPLETE documents from me and my sponsor. I am employed.  I've been to the US and Malaysia as a tourist. I have money,  paid leave of absence, plane tickets, stamped invitation- everything.  In the end I just got denied because they can't guarantee my return.  Which is insane!  I have a job to come back to. Looks like declaring my then bf as sponsor did more harm.  I should have just claimed I would only be traveling for tourism - maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Now I have a denial stamp on my passport and wouldn't want to risk a second one.  sad. :(

Hi Tailen,

I experimented a trip from Manila to BKK last May with my filipina gf.
At Filipino Police checkup of airport I had been amazed the questions the officer was asking to my gf about why she is going to Thailand.

But after many questions she was allowed to continue the process.
At Thai control, no question, no problem. The trap would be to forget informations on the customs form especially the address in BKK at arrival. I booked only one night and never showed my plan for following days coz even me I did not know... adventure trip.

Each time of controls we were separated coz on line and no choice... one by one. So both or alone is same deal.

Politician decision to overprotect the filipinas is good when minded at the top of country... then it turns bad when the officers are too strict and pride of their little power at ground floor... and it can turn to corruption when some of them take advantage of the situation to grab money. In poor countries its so easy and temptation so usual. All reasons, all restrictions, all flaws, all laws are a door to open and make money.

Bahala na.

I have read all of the previous posts and anyone can see that experiences differ. My experiences and those of my Thai expat friends told me that a filipina traveling alone to t
Thailand will have a very difficult time leaving the country. The only sure way to get to ThAILAND is for her expat boy friend to meet her, either in Manila or Clark. Yes, they will harrass you and ask you silly questions and make you(the guy) sign forms guranteeing your covering her expenses. But it's NOT a given that she has to have at least 20,000 pesos in her savings account or a job in the Philippines. If you doubt my word, send her a ticket to fly to Bangkok and you'll soon know. You fly over and bring her back is my advice. Period.

Avoid leavin from Clark. I have 2 friends who recently wasn't allowed to go to hongkong (1 was goin to follow his wife there who was havin a conference,and they will both go home after 3 days.the immigration officer ask for their marriage certificate but he didn't have any copy so he was denied to leave,according to him,he saw a lot of Filipinas there who wasn't allowed to leave the country too. same day,his wife book him another flight to hongkong leavin from NAIA 1.He went through immigration without any problem at all......
Other friend was with her daughter bound for hk with a 3 days 2 nights tour was not allowed to leave the country too)
heard a lot of similar stories in regards with immigration stopping Filipinas to leave the country
Hopefully your gf and daughter will take NAIA 1 and just be confident enough to answer the immigrationand show all her documents.

How recently were they trying to leave Clark? "Where and what is NAIA1?

The other one was 2 months ago and the other one was just last week.

NAIA 1 is the international airport in Manila. I left for Australia last year on a tourist visa and the immigration just ask me who was payin for my trip and whats my purpose of goin there.I was goin to visit my fiancé and cruise on his ship where he was working. I didn't bring any supporting docs from my fiancé except my round trip ticket,hotel booking and my cruise itinerary coz I wasn't aware that immigration in Philippines can actually stop me from leavin the country.I was more concern of entering the country of my destination. anyway didn't have any problem in NAIA 1 and they didn't ask for any docs.

As long as she and her daughter has all the supporting documents from you i think there wouldn't be any problem but the way she will answer the immigration officer.She must be very confident en straightforward.

Clark is a bit farther from Manila itself and most of the cheap promo tours leaves from Clark Airport

Just to clarify something. She tried to leave from Manila Pinoy the first time and was rejected(see my earlier post - not because of no money or Philippines bank account or more than 3 month bank account). When I flew to Clark and met her there, we were questioned separately, then I was waved into the interrogation area and handed a form to sign guaranteeing my covering her expenses. The chief immigration officer couldn't have been more polite or helpful. The minute we shook hands, I knew she wouldn't have trouble leaving. And she didn't. As I said, there are no guarantees, but if you go over there and meet her and bring her back, your chances are far better than any other plan. This is not just me, but other expats living in Thailand with fulipina girl friends.

How old is your GF? I dont think The Phil. Immigration will stop anyone who can afford to travel abroad. Just get her round trip ticket for a week travel, a booked hotel and iterinaries. Tell her to dress appropriately as a tourist as she flies to Thailand. And tell her to answer the immigration promptly. Hey they could not stop someone to travel right? Upon my arrival in thailand for three times, i never had problem.

hows flying to Peru for a Philippine?I am a Swiss and need to go to Peru for 2 month and like to take my fiancee with me.A Philippine citizen need no visa for Peru and can stay up to 3 month.

Hi , everybody ,,,
I have the same problem than thailen , but i will not be able to go manilla , because i arrive BKK in the morning on the 14 th of January , and i booked for her a flight arriving the evening ....
I buy a round trip for her with Cebu Pacific , 3 weeks ;;
I just want her to join me there for spending 3 weeks here in Thailand ...
So , what is the best way she can easily go through the immigration office in Manilla ,,,
Show cash + hotel booking + round ticket is enough ????
Shall we make fake documents ???
Please update me with the best way !!!

Thank you so much

Hi , would you allow my gf to give you a call ????

honeyclotte wrote:

How old is your GF? I dont think The Phil. Immigration will stop anyone who can afford to travel abroad. Just get her round trip ticket for a week travel, a booked hotel and iterinaries. Tell her to dress appropriately as a tourist as she flies to Thailand. And tell her to answer the immigration promptly. Hey they could not stop someone to travel right? Upon my arrival in thailand for three times, i never had problem.