University in Addis Ababa, Ehiopia

I am a undergraduate student in Japan planning to move to Addis from Feb 2010.
I am interested in transferring to university in Addis from September 2010.
I would like to know if they take transfer students and accept credits from foreign universities.

Does anyone have the same experience?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

yes they do! while i was working there i remember one case similar  to yours. a girl from Madagascar moved to addis and did manage to continue her PhD. what you need to do is find someone in Addis Ababa University that work in a similar discipline as you and contact them through email. iŽm sure youŽll work things out. here is the official AAU website http://www.aau.edu.et/ and also faculty of science and faculty of technology websites http://www.sc.aau.edu.et/ and http://www.ethionet.et/~aaufot/fotaau.html respectively would give u more info. hope that helped

hello, Im an American, considering moving to Africa next year, I'm mainly looking for which ever country where I can get the most bang for my buck..
some questions I have about Ethiopia are related to living expenses and development in the Country

1. what would be there average living costs for a Family of 4; including my husband, myself and our 2 small children? including, food, childcare, school and a live-in maid
2. How much is the cost of an average home? with running water and electricty
3. what area do you recommend?
4. Is the country safe overall ?

thank you

hey, well here are some info which i think will help. the average cost depends on the kind of life style you choose to have. to lead an average but really confortable life, for example a monthly grocery items for a family of 4 purchased from high class marts will be like around $250-350.
if you prefer to dine out, the cost will be slightly higher than that amount but not too higher. again depends on the kind of place you want to dine.

live-in made, a nanny will not cost you more than $50 per month. a made that do the cleaning and cooking, well nowadays there are trained maids and they cost from $70-100. def not more than that. an average home(3-4 bedrooms) again located in nice and ŽsafeŽ residential area will cost you not more than $1000/month. i quoted safe coz  the country in general is very safe. at least that is something we Ethiopians are proud of. utility costs icluding cable TV will not exceed  $200-300/month. there are so many newly established residential areas to choose from. at least the once i know are Jakross, Ayat,  CMC and Bole areas where ppl with higher standards of life live. :) and you can find an average home by the cost i mentioned in this areas. when it comes to schools, there are international and quality schools.

in general, i am sure you will find Addis totally different from the one you have in mind. i mean there are places that makes you forgot you are in ŽEthiopiaŽ and places that remind u where you are. but over all no doubt you will enjoy it :) i hope this helped....slight change of costs might be there since i left Addis last Yr and since you are planning to move next year but i tried to consider that also.

I have a friend who use to lecture in the Addia Ababa university he may be a help in the information you would like to find out I will get in touch with him and let you know as soon as i can.

Thank you very much for your message!
Although I sent a letter to ask my application to Addis University on August, I have not received any response yet...
If your friend knows about the service for foreign students in Addis University, please let me know.
Now I am looking for a place to live over there in Addis.