Moving to Jeddah in june

Hi everyone, I am moving to jeddah from London UK for 6 months and wanted to just introduce myself to this site. I am quite nervous about my move but at the same time v excited if you guys can help me with the following questions i would really appreciate it.

are the shops open during ramadan
Is 6,500sa ok to live on for 1 month
can i go shopping alone
where can i go horse riding in jeddah
is there sports clubs for women

If anyone has answers to any of these questions I would really appreciate it
Rhe

If you pay for your housing, transportation, food and health club out of the money the 6500 SAR is not that much.  Specially if you like to go shopping.

shawal wrote:

Hi,

Q.1 Are the shops open during ramadan?
Ans: Yes but all the shops are opening after 1300 o clock.

Q.2 Is 6,500sa ok to live on for 1 month
Ans. This is to much for a one month.

Q.3 Can i go shopping alone?
Ans. Yes but must have a nikaab (burqa)

Q.4 where can i go horse riding in jeddah
Ans. you can not do this here, because this is not allowed for women.

Q.5 is there sports clubs for women.
Ans. yes there is...

Burka is not required.   Most malls are full of Filipinas without any Burkas or head coverings as well as Western women.  A lot of Lebanese wear the Abayas open as open coats and no one bothers them.  If anybody bothers you speak in English and tell them you are British and not a Muslim (even if you are) and they will leave you alone.  Only applies in Jeddah.  Just in case always bring a head covering around you neck like a scarf.  Sometimes it is easier to cover up then to have to deal with the idiots that can give you a hard time.  You will also probably have a lot of friends so you wont have to go out alone much.   For safety sake you should always go out with a friend.

Alon Injed wrote:

If you pay for your housing, transportation, food and health club out of the money the 6500 SAR is not that much.  Specially if you like to go shopping.

shawal wrote:

Hi,

Q.1 Are the shops open during ramadan?
Ans: Yes but all the shops are opening after 1300 o clock.

Q.2 Is 6,500sa ok to live on for 1 month
Ans. This is to much for a one month.

Q.3 Can i go shopping alone?
Ans. Yes but must have a nikaab (burqa)

Q.4 where can i go horse riding in jeddah
Ans. you can not do this here, because this is not allowed for women.

Q.5 is there sports clubs for women.
Ans. yes there is...

Alon's reply is more accurate than Shawal, I have been lived in Jeddah since 8 years and he is completely right

Thankyou so much, my housing and getting to and from work is included can you inform me of other activities for single women in Jeddah?
Thankyou

What you will have to wear is an abaya (not a burqa), a simple black cloak and we all wear them.  Most of us non-moslems don't cover our hair (the scarves are called hijabs) and certainly don't cover our faces (niquab).  From time to time the religious police may harrass  you so carry a scarf, slip it on your head to appease (forget about explaining since they don't speak English and just keep repeating, 'COVER HEAD') and a minute later remove it.  That's all.

I go out by myself all the time (I've never traveled in a pack and don't intend to begin now) and have never encountered a problem.

There are several places to ride horses and take lessons here in Riyadh but I don't know about Jeddah.

Thankyou Allicat much appreciated.
Rhe