Apraxia of speech

Does anyone know of a speech language  parhologist working with small children in either English or Spanish,  and  does anyone else have  children with speech problems ?

Hi Landlubber101 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Hi!
How old is your son? My son had speech problems and it was referred to a speech professional when he was around two years old here in Uruguay. He went to her for almost a year and to tell you the truth I didn't see any improvements from it. We changed to another professional but really what they do with them in the sessions ( in the case of my son) was exactly what I did at home. Now he is 8 and he speaks perfectly.
We just got back from living in Jamaica prior to that we were in England- I am Uruguayan but haven't lived here for a while-   I am having problems finding a school for him. He only speaks English and has a small developmental motor delay, so I do no want to place him in a school where classes are so big (25 is big for me) that the teachers don't have any control over what's going on in the class. So I am homeschooling and it is great!
So to answer your  question there are some English speaking language pathologist around Carrasco, they are very expensive!!!! but we didn't find to have much success for my son (he had a great time with them) he really didn't learn much. Ask your pediatrician or at the school and look in the Internet there are very good web sites with exercises, etc. that you can do with him/her!

Kudos to iprickett for home schooling. I've heard many stories about the difficulties the government imposes for those who choose this option, and have heard that ex pats may actually be left alone to home school more so than natives.  I don't know if this is correct, but had an ex pat friend who left Uruguay because of the hassle she perceived when she tried to home school.  Going hand in hand with governmental opposition to home schooling (which is clearly stronger in other countries) is the increasing pressure to vaccinate children. One Argentine woman, who HAD vaccinated, reported that here in Uruguay, where she was living with her then 3 year old son, a social worker and police officer showed up at her door one day unannounced to take her son because they merely "suspected" (falsely as it turned out) that she had not vaccinated him. (He subsequently suffered seizures at age 8 and other health problems which seemed to finally go away when he got old enough to not have to be vaccinated and she stopped the giving him flouriode tablets prescribed by an Uruguayan doctor) This post is not long enough to detail all the evidence showing the mounting levels of vaccine injuries, including deaths, that admittedly result from vaccines.  The evidence is that the younger the child, the worse the neurological and other damage.  So if Uruguay goes the way the You Enn and Big Pharma are pushing, it can expect to see many, many more children with speech and neurological problems.  I would like to know whether Uruguay, like the states in the You Ess, has legislation granting exemptions from vaccines. (Often these statutes exist but people don't know about their rights under them.) We already see Big Medica here pushing flouride for babies and pregnant women, which causes an assortment of other proveable health issues without preventing dental cavities, as was falsely touted years ago.

Hello!
I haven't had any problems home schooling my son here. He is register in an accredited school in the US, has (besides me) an online teacher that grades his works and tests and we get the grade transcripts at the end of the year. It is a very comprehensive curriculum that combines online materials and regular materials that they send you via mail. So far so good!
With respect to the vaccinations, my son has all of them and can't really tell you if his delay is due to that or not. The reality is that he is progressing really well and although it might have a different path of thinking, at the end of the day, giving the right time, he riches whatever milestone that he needs to.
IT IS troublesome to me the education -private and public -I haven't visit all the schools in the city but I am not impress with what I have seen.
Maybe my expectations are too high but having discarded the English as a part of the curriculum (this is a Spanish speaking country) - and there is really only one school in the city that teaches English as a first language-  my concern is more with the methodologies of the teaching.
Anybody with the same view?

Hello,
I'm actually working a lot with children with speech difficulties. I'm a kinesiologist (not a physiotherapist in the way they name it in Uruguay). The way I work with this matter may be on getting away the stress which is at the base of the problem, or through physical exercices, build new connections in the brain in order to get a better communication between the two hemispheres and in the three dimensions (up/down, rear/front and laterality inside of the brain).
The results are very fast - actually there is a change after the first session only, although I advice a serie of a few sessions (3 is ususally a good start).
I have an internet site in Spanish: memoriacelular.com.uy
but you'll find a lot of info in english (most of the techniques come from the United States) on the internet.
I'm doing sessions one day a week in Carrasco, in Espacio Marma.

Hope this can be of any help.

Marc.

Hi there, i have a 30 month old with apraxia of speech who has been having therapy for The past 9 months in Montevideo...have You found a therapist? How old is Your child? Would love to connect!
Perrin