I want to carry my PS2 from India

Hi Guys, a pretty lame question thou... I want to carry my PS2 with my luggage. It is 2 years old. Is it permissible. Or if they(customs) find it, it goes straight to the dustbin?

Hello,

You are permitted to bring up to $500 worth of goods duty free, into Kenya as far as Iam aware.

I think that the worst that could happen is that customs officers would ask you to pay duty on this, especially if it looks new.  Then there woud be a process of negotiation with regard to the amount to pay.  Duty, plus taxes amount to something like 75% of the value of the item(s).

@sdrayan, no problem to bring goods to kenya, 99% they wont check your luggage. Many times my friends got many electronic goods from china for me. So dont need to worry and moreover it is used one. so 100% no problem. One main thing, to get some money from you, these people will bring new rules and try to confuse you. But everything has a solution here. Justt carry 10, 20$ change. In case they waste your time, just throw money and leave.
Welcome to nairobi....

Thank You Guys!! The first thing that goes in my bag is my PS2!! :D

Agree that you are fairly likely not to be stopped and searched.  Even if they do stop you, your bag may not be opened.  I have often travelled with a laptop, several mobile phones, camera and portable DVD and never been asked to pay duty, even when stopped.

In my experience, the rules are not altered, by KRA officers, but yes, they can be obstructive to the point where you feel that it would be easier just to leave the item with them, especially if they are hoping for a bribe.  With electronics, they will often try to argue that the item is new. 

If the officer wants a bribe, typically, they will make this obvious by saying something along the lines of wanting a present, or alluding to the heat and saying how thirsty their work is.  $ wont cut it, you need Kenya Shillings and rather more than $10 - 20 worth, just in case.  Above all just be polite and respectful.