Two little American Girls

Hello, to all!  :)

My husband I want to move to the Philippines.  We have no Filipino ties to the people or country.  My concern comes from what I've seen and heard about safety for Americans.  I'm more concerned about the safety of our children.

I have two little girls (blonde with blue eyes and red head with brown eyes).  They'll stick out like sore thumbs along with my caucasian husband (I'm half Korean/caucasian).  I worry that my children will not be accepted or in danger of being taken (according the the news). 

We're not looking to live in the big city or in an expat community.  We want to live and experience the Filipino life...to an extent.

I know there are dangers all over the world.  I'm curious if Americans with a family are at higher risk or if it's simply media over exposure.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

hiii
there's nothing to say about philippine life i just encourage you to go and you will see that your family will be safetely. GOOD LUCK

Stay in Makati, Nothing will go wrong :)

Hi
Look ur little girls will be fine if u live in provinces
we live in Naga City, there are good private school here and other cities, also large foreigner population so much so we english speaking foreigner meet in one bar for a few beers and german speaking meet in another.
we live in a gated subdivision,so it's very safe
Pete

Hi!
I've lived in Manila and have visited since the post Marcos era and I have never experienced any real security threats. During my stay there, I've seen two attempted coup d'etat and countless street demonstrations but I was at no time in any real danger.
Generally, Filipinos are great people and you should be able to blend in without too much effort.
I was in Manila again last week and I saw two Caucasian teenage girls shopping by themselves.
If money is not an issue, I would suggest a vacation there to check it out first hand.

I don't want to sound negative but I will be blunt and tell you like it is. Because you have kids that will stick out like sore thumbs, I suggest you stay in Makati as far as safety is concern.
The general rule of thumb is, if your fair or light skin and this includes the locals as well, it will be perceive by the locals that you have money. For the most part, Filipinos are the nicest and most welcoming people in the world. But, it's those that are desperate, ignorant, that are willing to do anything for a quick buck that you have to watch out for.

For the most part, your kids will be accepted, maybe too accepted and create some attention. I would avoid areas where there is a predominant muslim population such as Mindanao to be on the safe side, those kidnappings are true, anyone that would say otherwise are not telling you the truth.

Stay in the Makati area, the schools are also much better for your kids. Venturing in the smaller towns in the province is not a good idea because you will create a lot of attention based on where you come from and the mere fact that your family is white. Trust me the blond hair/ blue eyes and red hair will be as good as a big $$$$$ sign. It doesn't mean, you can't live the good life there, but if you want privacy and less attention, stay away from trying to live the "Filipino life" and just live in Makati.

I guess it depends on what you define as living the filipino life. Do you want your kids to attend local schools (still have to pay) and learn local language?  Live in provinces with not many other expats? How will you get around, by jeepney, pedicab/trike? What will your husband do (assuming he is the breadwinner)? In all reality, filipino life is tough, and many dream of leaving the country in order to support their families. They would assume your very rich with expat job, otherwise who else comes to raise a family in the Philippines.

Lots of questions to ask yourself. If your on a tight budget, better to stay in the US where your kids can go to school for free. Crime is low but dont kid yourself. In the US, you would blend in so not a direct target but things here change very rapidly. There are quite a few kidnappings that if you live outside gated areas would be exposing yourself and kids unnecessarily.

Otherwise, if you feel at all uncomfortable, then live in Makati/Fort Bonafacio for the first year until you build up some experience. Can make a better decision thereafter.

Thank you so much for the information.  My husband and I are both (or will be) ex military.  So, we'll be living off of our retirement.  Right now, we home school our kids because the schools here in Vegas are horrible.  I was looking into the international schools there. We were trying to avoid living where there was a bunch of expats for the sake of not really soaking in the culture, expenses, and the "simple" life.  I'm ok with putting myself at risk but not my little ones, of course.

Makati sounds like something I'll have to look into more.  Can a family of 4 live comfortably on two retirement checks?

We are definitely going to visit before we make up our minds.

Thanks again!

Well, if your retired US military, I doubt you could live comfortably in Makati area. Try looking in Cebu or even Subic (lot of military retirees). Any school thats not International will be in local language - Tagalog. And you will still have to pay for them to attend school. I dont know about the quality of education.

One thing to think of. What will you do once your kids get old enough to go to college. Unless they go to the more expensive international schools, will be difficult for them to do well on the SATs and attend a decent US school. In all reality, the Philippines is not the cheap place to live it used to be.

And I thank you for your service to the country.

Chimes..As a soon to be retired soldier who will retire to the Philippines, let me chime in. If you are retiring officers (field grade?) with the normal 20 years or more. Your combinded checks should be more than enough i believe. But you need to know about health care. You will qualify for Tri-care standard. You will need to find (google search) Tri-care approved doctors, pay up front, then submit the bills to the Tri-care office in Singapore for reimbursement. feel free to PM me if you like, and i can give you my .mil email addy. I have done lots of research and would be more than glad to help.  Regards

Shinned, than you!

Scotty, I will send you a pm.

Thanks again, everyone.  I guess I may start looking at other countries, again.  :(

That's supposed to be to dhnindc not shinned.

Hi there!! seems to be a lot of conflicting info being said here ? yes you can live comfortably here especially on 2 ex vet pensions if you budget wisely, i live in Bohol with my gf and have been here for 9 months, we live outside the main city in rented accomodation living amongst the local population and have never encounted any problems, the main dramas seem to be with the foreigners who complain about the locals, you just have to accept that life is different here and just go with the flow so to speak, i actually feel protected here with the locals and every one is friendly, as far as you little ones i dont see any problems if anything they will welcome you with open arms. Gated communities ? not for me, i believe that makes you a target because all the so called rich foreginers live there, so please look a Bohol in your travels and make up your own mind.

Welcome to the Philippines,,you will be safe here,and enjoy the life in my country!

I live in northern samar small place my gf owns bahay got sari sari store feeds the fam and some pigs ...live so to speak much with the real mga tao ...any way seems funny to move here if never been here like ive had 17 trips since 2012 this is my last all goes well.. ive been from calayan island to davao el nido could go on for awhile on places only trouble ive had was in Angeles mainly to being on the redhorse ...I find the province maganda better ...