Ao dai tailoring ?

Hello,

Does anybody know a good local Ao Dai maker/tailor? Nothing for tourists please. I would like local prices and local tailors targetting locals... Good quality ao dais please!

Thank you!

Sofia

Hi,
You should choose and buy your dressmaking material first, then give it to a tailor. I know a store named Thiện (A002 - Trần Quốc Thảo tenement - D.3) which is a very small store but famous for making Ao Dai. You can go there but have to wait for 10 days or more to receive your Ao dai back. And about the price, I think it is around 250.000 dong (12$)- not include the cloth. If you have any problem, just call me at 01993346757. I am willing to go there with you.
This is my picture with Ao Dai made there
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1477300991497&set=t.100000324031021&type=1&theater

Nice Silk on Le Loi St D1 or Tombo by the Opera House on D1 as well

Thank you for your suggestions! My sister has found a place randomly on Le Van Sy and she was in a rush to get the ao dai made before she returned to Canada, so she got it made there. It came out really nice, and about 350,000 VND.

Thanks again!

Hello Sofimofi,
I am a teacher so I have to wear ao dai everyday to work. My tailor is a good one who offer good price for teachers as well as flight attendants. But I'm not sure if they offer the same price for foreigners. To be on the safe side, I can take you there. With my presence, they won't rip you off!! My tailor is near Le Van Sy street, and it takes around 250.000VND for an ao dai. You can pm me if you are interested (well, for the next time!! :P)

unei_nguyen wrote:

Hello Sofimofi,
I am a teacher so I have to wear ao dai everyday to work. My tailor is a good one who offer good price for teachers as well as flight attendants. But I'm not sure if they offer the same price for foreigners. To be on the safe side, I can take you there. With my presence, they won't rip you off!! My tailor is near Le Van Sy street, and it takes around 250.000VND for an ao dai. You can pm me if you are interested (well, for the next time!! :P)

Hi unei_nguyen:

How can I have Aodai if i am living in USA now? Do you know where to buy the new model silk online?

CHUDZU wrote:
unei_nguyen wrote:

Hello Sofimofi,

Hi unei_nguyen:

How can I have Aodai if i am living in USA now? Do you know where to buy the new model silk online?

The silk used to made ao dai is hard to choose online because its quality varies and the only way to choose a good one is by touching it. I have sent you a message about this, but I still think it is quite hard for you to have your aodai made here in Vietnam. Where are you staying in the US?? I think some place in Little Sai Gon must provide the service!! ^^

Does the 350,000 and 250,000 include the fabric too?  I've been quoted higher but I'm not sure if those places are more expensive or they charge me higher because they know I'm not from here.

The price of an Ao Dai depends much on the quality of fabric, design, etc. But I think a traditional Ao Dai just costs around 200.000 VND :D I see that in large cities, the price seems higher :-s Btw, you must look very beautiful in your Ao Dai, trust me ;)

dnguyenvo wrote:

Does the 350,000 and 250,000 include the fabric too?  I've been quoted higher but I'm not sure if those places are more expensive or they charge me higher because they know I'm not from here.

I'm afraid you have to go to the market yourself to choose the fabric first and then take the fabric to the tailor later. The cost for the fabric varies from 130.000VND to even 1.000.000VND. If you don't wear your Ao Dai everyday, then the one between 130.000-300.000VND is qualified enough to give you comfort. If you wear Ao Dai everyday (as you work in a bank, a school, or the airport...) then 300.000 or above is advisable.

The tailor will charge you 250.000VND for one Ao Dai. If you speak Vietnamese, use it as a disguise. :)) If you don't, better take someone who do with you. I personally can help with the language (HELP, literally, without benefit) if you want but we have to agree on the time first. And to be candid, I have to say in advance that I hate rain, so if it rains, I won't go anywhere!! :P

Wow, as I said, the cost for making one Ao Dai in HCM City is so high @.@ In my hometown, we just need 100.000 VND for fabric and then 120.000 - 150.000 to ask the most professional tailor in the town to make for you a gorgeous one =)) It's very reasonable because you know, the cost for renting house, living in HCMC is so high too :sick

nhung.scorpio90 wrote:

Wow, as I said, the cost for making one Ao Dai in HCM City is so high @.@ In my hometown, we just need 100.000 VND for fabric and then 120.000 - 150.000 to ask the most professional tailor in the town to make for you a gorgeous one =)) It's very reasonable because you know, the cost for renting house, living in HCMC is so high too :sick

You can say that again!! It only cost me 250.000VND to have an Ao Dai tailored while some friends of mine have to pay up to 300.000-350.000VND due to the difference in position. hix hix...

What cities are you guys from?  I had a friend make her ao dai in Nha Trang and I remember it was very cheap.

dnguyenvo wrote:

What cities are you guys from?  I had a friend make her ao dai in Nha Trang and I remember it was very cheap.

I'm in Sai Gon!! The price I get is for teachers, so it can't be cheaper here!! :(

Ok, so I just went to this place and the price is 1,100,000 for an ao dai with crystal on it. Is that expensive? Another place I went to quoted 2,000,000 for the same material.

Yeah I finally found a place with a really good price at Cho Lon. 200,000 for fabric and 300,000 (to make the Chinese style buttons) regular ao dai is 200,000.  They ate delivering it in 4 days. I hope the tailor makes it well.

Hi!Anyone knows where I can tailor made aoi dai in less than 2 days.Right now I'm staying in ho chi Minh district 1 and will be back to my home country this Friday noon.Thanks!

Hi Sofia
I have just had a Ao Dai from Tan Dinh Market. you can go there to choose fabric and they will make your Ao Dai. the cost is about 400,000 include fabric and tailor :)

Hi! Me and my friends are coming in November. Would love anyone to bring us there to tailoring and not get ripped off. Can anybody help us? Cho lon sounds good for only 200000 fabric.

hello.Me and my friends are coming to Vietnam during November. Would love to have someone help us to get an Ao Dai. Do you know anybody who can help for good quality and cheap price without getting ripped off? Thanks.

Hi,

My friend is coming to Saigon soon, She wants to get an Ao Dai done.
How much material do I have to buy?
how long will it take?
which shop will take their time to make the ao dai?
roughly what is the price now?

thanks

thecoolchazza wrote:

Hi,

My friend is coming to Saigon soon, She wants to get an Ao Dai done.
How much material do I have to buy?
how long will it take?
which shop will take their time to make the ao dai?
roughly what is the price now?

thanks

About 300-400-500k... for material/fabric.
And 270k for tailor. It takes about 1 week - 10days.
The tailor did very well, I felt interesting when wearing it, and never complain anything about its quality :D. But my place is quite far from Sagon center. You can go some tailors in D1, near BenThanh market, maybe it costs higher than here. But becareful if you buy something in Ben Thanh market :D.

How much material should I buy? 1 meter x 1m meter?

thecoolchazza wrote:

If you dont want go to market, just go to Big C, Coopmart supermarket, they sell it.
Dont worry about price of farbic. Chose any farbic you want, about 200-300-400.000 (VND) is ok. Or go to some tailor, they always sell much more farbic.
Farbic for "áo dài" has a standard size for every women, dont worry about this.

I think you shoud take a picture, and send it immediately to your friend, ask her if she likes it? Its my opinion, because I never really like clothes that others chose for me :D. Hihi.

ngattt wrote:
thecoolchazza wrote:

If you dont want go to market, just go to Big C, Coopmart supermarket, they sell it.
Dont worry about price of farbic. Chose any farbic you want, about 200-300-400.000 (VND) is ok. Or go to some tailor, they always sell much more farbic.
Farbic for "áo dài" has a standard size for every women, dont worry about this.

I think you shoud take a picture, and send it immediately to your friend, ask her if she likes it? Its my opinion, because I never really like clothes that others chose for me :D. Hihi.

Cool Excellent, do you recommend any good tailors? and address

thecoolchazza wrote:

I only know a tailor near my house, but its far from D1.
I search some information in Vietnamse forum for women.

1. 278 NGUYỄN THƯỢNG HIỀN, W4, D3 (08.62908203 - 0908742302)

2. Tiến: 76B Bạch Đằng, W2, Tân Bình

3. Minh Thư: 278 Nguyễn Thượng Hiền, D3

4. Dáng Việt: 248 Bùi Viện, Phạm Ngũ Lão, D1.

5. Trang - Nguyễn Thiện Thuật, W3, D3

ngattt wrote:
thecoolchazza wrote:

I only know a tailor near my house, but its far from D1.
I search some information in Vietnamse forum for women.

1. 278 NGUYỄN THƯỢNG HIỀN, W4, D3 (08.62908203 - 0908742302)

2. Tiến: 76B Bạch Đằng, W2, Tân Bình

3. Minh Thư: 278 Nguyễn Thượng Hiền, D3

4. Dáng Việt: 248 Bùi Viện, Phạm Ngũ Lão, D1.

5. Trang - Nguyễn Thiện Thuật, W3, D3

thanks for that. I will check them out

hi,
I am in desperate need of someone that can make ao dai professional. I have one in mind and need someone that can make the exact same thing. Please let me know if there is anybody that can. I want it to look professional and make it look like the dress I want. Please help

Hi all,

To me, I think you can have ao dai tailored in:

Bich Hung, no. 416 B, Hai Ba Trung Street, Saigon (Hochiminh city).

It can be said that this tailor shop has been operated before 1975. The old board-name was replaced by a colorful new board, it had been blue & white- basic color of almost board-signs 40 years ago.

In the finishing stage, you will be invited to come to try it on for final checking (like final inspection in production :-) ) to make sure you are comfortable with your moving (you know ao dai covered our bodies pretty tight). I feel ao dai from here made you look taller in term of the vertical view not the horizontal view. If you need an inner pocket for the ao dai's pants, just let the dressmakers know, they will make one for you.

Cost was 220,000 VND/ set (ao dai + its pants) (for Viet kieu & Vietnam), up to the type of fabric, the charge will be higher, but again it was the price in 2010. I believe it certainly increases in 2015. I do not know how much it costs for foreigners, but this is a local one I can recommend without reservation, since I have had my ao dai sawn in some different places, only this place passed my standards which are similar to what most of you are looking for/ discussing here.

Re language barrier, I am sure if you are interested in ao dai, your Vietnamese is good enough to communicate with the friendly owner there. Moreover, their location is near the center, so English is not a big deal. So be confident to experience yourself and share it here if possible :-)

Thank you for this topic, wish you all enjoy wearing ao dai... in these hot sunny days (OMG!) :-)

Cheers,

Nga

*Bich Hung, the meaning is something great, big. It turns out it is a small shop that humbly hides near the traffic light between Hai Ba Trung & Tran Quang Khai.