Retired ..thinking about becoming Belize expat

Would appreciate requirements on becoming Belize expat

Is it similar to Panama...obtaining a pensionado residency card...showing financial stability etc...requirements in obtaining drivers license.....info on bringing in possesions...taxes etc

Thank you....don

Hi onedon!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Hope you will obtain some advices on the forum soon.

Regards
Armand

Hi Don, If you wanted to email me at [email protected], I'd be happy to give you the rundown. I've lived and operated a business here for nearly 10 years.

there are 2 ways to gain residency here. the QRP (qualified retirement program) is the one you kind of alluded to in your Panama reference, and if you plan to just retire here and not do anything, it has some advantages. There are several people here who assist in expediting things for you and it will make the process easier for you. Yes, you will need to prove a $2000 monthly income to cmoe in as a QRP. Drivers lisence is an easy test at the department of transport. Property taxes are practically nil except for the current 5% title transfer tax on any realestate you buy, payable at the time of the title transfer. Then, there is duty on anything you bring in, except under QRP you can bring in a one time amount of things duty free, like automobile, planes, boats and household items. things you purchase here already have the duty on them. There is  12.5% tax on everything you buy, usually built into the price.

The other option is to come in as a permanent resident, which you basically have to live here a year, extending your vistors visa monthly, prove finacial sustainability, and then you cna be a permanent resident after an application process.

Do I need a Visa to visit Belize?  Is it difficult to crossover the border from Mexico?  Any tips on anything to do with Belize would be helpful it's our first visit. Like places to eat in Corozal?? San Pedro?? Are places open on Sundays?

Thanks,
Lani

Hello Lani and welcome to Expat.com!

Could you please start a new thread on Belize forum for better visibility.;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.