Young Expats and Age Groups & Status in General of Expats in Mauritius

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum... I hope it's okay, but I have posted some of this topic as a reply elsewhere but having looked through some of the already existing topics, I though this might be an interesting thread to start...

Basically I'm looking to get an idea of what kind of people I'm likely to meet when I get there and maybe help with my decision.

My original post was:
--------------------
"Hi Everyone,

I may be taking a job in Mauritius and if so moving in the next month or two...

The only drawback I can foresee is being away from friends and family. Although I'm from Ireland and living in London, I've developed a good network of friends and Dublin is but a short flight away.
I've have no problems travelling and experiencing new things alone before but if I'm gonna be in Mauritius for a few years, I'd like to think I'll be able to develop a network of friends relatively close to my age, with simlar interests (I'm 30 by the way)...
I suppose what I'm getting at is, whether there are is a decent network of expats around my age? I've noticed a lot of the guys and girls on the forums are here with families or are middle-aged business types. Of course I have no issues with making friends with people from different nationalities or age groups or people with children but it would be nice to know there are some young singletons about

I hear Mauritians a very friendly and welcoming too, do the locals mix well with the expats?

Any advise feedback will be much appreciated."
---------------------------

Anyways, so as my post mentions, what I'm getting at is; the age mix and status in the expat community in Mauritus.

I hope I dont come accross as asking for too much information but as you can appreciate, a long distance move like this is a big step and every point that puts my mind at rest makes my decision to move easier and I think it could be beneficial to others in my situation and others that are already in Mauritius and looking to meet new people.

So anyway, I'd been keen to hear from people with regards to their age (in and around is fine I know some folks dont like to divulge some details :) ) also it would be great to hear if you are there with friends, family, husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, companies, what people do for work and anything else you'd like to add.

I suppose I should start with myself...

- I'm Damien, I'm 30 and I'm a Quantity Survey from Dublin, Ireland. I may be moving to Mauritius in 1-2 months and will possibly be living in or around Flic en Flac. I'm into Scuba Diving, Rock Climbing, Fishing and Playing Music (my guitar will most definitely be travelling with me) and I speak a little French which I hope to improve greatly when I'm there :) .

Thanks in advance for your input

Damien

May be a starting point:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20120 … fing-spots

welcome to Expat.com once again, Damien. well, i replied in the other thread :P lol. and when considering a big move like this, too many questions is still not enough. it really is a big deal and the questions are all a part of it :) i'm sure members will be more than happy to help :)

I'll repost the link to networks in Mauritius, grouped by Nationality: https://www.expat.com/en/network/africa/mauritius/ in the event anyone else has similar questions to you. i hope that helped by the way.

warmest regards, nerolife

Hi,

I'm originally from UK but have lived in Mauritius for the past 22 years!

Just to inform you that there is quite a good size ExPat community here in Mauritius, although it is spread about somewhat. We just had a great beach party recently which was a good way of linking up with other Expats. The fact that you are already on Expat.com means that you are off to a good start.

You mentioned which area that you will probably be living, but do you know where would you be working ?

Alyson

Hi Damien,

I can't speak on behalf of other expats, but let me try answering some of your questions.

Are mauritians welcoming?  Generally yes, if there is no conflict of interest (mainly at the workplace).  Well, i suppose this happens everywhere.  Mauritians are used to foreigner presence.

Seems like your are an outdoor person & Mauritius has a lot to offer on this.  Having your own transport (i.e. scooter, car) is very important if mobility is what you need to participate in outdoor activities, public transportation here is ok but not great.  Or find a local buddy that owns one :)

You must also bear in mind that mauritius is an island and i observed that places of interest are normally scattered all over, hence pls adjust your expectation that life in mauritius is not as fast/hectic as compared to london.  Also, mauritians are generally homey ppl and spend free time/holidays with friends and relative at home.

I hope this helps.

So I have been offered the job and the money and general benefits are good... Now it's time to make the big decision! Do I stay or go????? If I go,do I need to get used to the fact that i'll generally need to make my own fun or am I likely to meet people in and around my own age group (say 25-35)? It's a big step and a really difficult decision!!

HELP!! :unsure

Hi Damien !

my 2 cents : buy yourself a flight ticket and spend 10 days on the island, to make your own idea ;)

(I did ... and moved to MRU one month after I came back from my little trip)

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your 2 cents, it's very much appreciated... I have actually had that suggestion made to me already and I agree, it's definitely the best way to go about it, the only problem is, I have neither the time nor the money to make the trip so I'm trying to gauge things based on other people's experience and even if I were to go, how much would I really learn about making friends/developing ties in 10 days?? It's a tough call!!:|

hey Damien, am i right to assume that you're on a contract, and if so, for how long is it??

Well it's the standard probationary period, then a 24 month contract.

Frankly speaking I don't think that you have much too lose... Last Saturday I went on the Hash and met lots of foreigners in your age group...plus some nice Anglo-Mauritians too
Many of the people on contract are sad when they have to leave MRU..
Can you say the company or field in which you will be working and where it is based? It would give us all a better idea of what you will be coming into...

I'll be working for a large African Infrastructure & Civil Engineering company who head up their operations from Port Louis, Mauritius (Dr. Maurice Cure St?).
I get the impression there are a few expats working there and even a couple of Irish folk as the company was originally a global engineering company from Ireland before the African branch of the business was bought out in the early 90's .
I believe I'll be living nearby also and will be living with an English guy who around my age who was placed with the company last year.

Hi Damien,

welcome to the club in Flic en Flac...

DayMeeYen wrote:

So I have been offered the job and the money and general benefits are good... Now it's time to make the big decision! Do I stay or go????? If I go,do I need to get used to the fact that i'll generally need to make my own fun or am I likely to meet people in and around my own age group (say 25-35)? It's a big step and a really difficult decision!!

HELP!! :unsure

I came here to Mauritius 5+ years ago, and never ever regretted this decision. I started in Flic en Flac and I stay in FeF. ;)

It's actually very easy to get in touch with local people as well as expats in the same area. If you don't mind, just let me know and we can meet ad hoc. The public beach is full almost every weekend, and there are some bars and clubs around where people of the specified age show up regularly as well as lots of tourists coming from the hotels.

There are roughly 7-8 dive centers in and around FeF that should give you enough choice to spend your weekends. Casela Nature Park as well as Black River Gorgeous National Park are not far...

PS: Don't miss such a (once in a life?) chance. And... 24 months will fly - you wont believe it.

Cheers, JoKi

Hey Damien,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Mauritius soon-we are 25 n 26 years old from SA, we plan to stay in Flic en Flac as it is rather vibey and everything u will need is close by-plus the beach is lovely!

I think you must do it- its a great oppurtunity!

Hope this helps.

Lauren

Thanks Joki/Lauren (and everyone else)!

So the ball is rolling... I've officially accepted and mobilisation date is set for the end of June.

Can't wait! Really looking forward to it now!

Hopefully we'll meet at some stage!

CONGRATS!!! :D

Congratulations Damien, wish you all the best :)

Damien,
I have been here with my family for a year. We live in Flic en Flac where a lot of expats stay, especially South African. I myself am 53 but we have friends of many different ages, from 25 to 70 !
In fact, our son is 22.
The expat community in Flic en Flac is great, we help each other, have parties, go out etc. You will love it here.
If you wish, contact me on [email protected]
Cheers

Cheers for all the well-wishes everyone...

hey Damiem,if your bringing your guitar it would be great there are lots of expat artist and musician we can do have jam session..anyway i am onyx new here in the Island work as an Optometrist and who love Music and Art..see you soon cheers!!