New member - just moved to San Juan about a month ago

Hello everyone -

Just wanted to introduce myself to the blog as My wife and I recently moved from NYC to San Juan for my accounting position.  we are still settling in our new apt and dealing with the struggles of getting cable and water transferred into our name. But I guess that just comes with the territory.

Hope to speak to you soon

Craig

Hi Craig, there are services which can help you.......there is one on the second floor of Supermax in Condado  ( near the old Blockbuster) that does licenses and other things....waiting on line here is a pain!!
Did your company offer you a relocation assist??? that's what I do: info and specialized packages for local intro re: cultural differences and business orientation.
if they will pay, i am happy to help. If not, i'll give you some help anyway ;-}
m

Crstevens1

I was planning on move next year but I've been told that it's not a good idea especially if I don't speak Spanish.
How was your move?

What about moving household furnishings to PR?  It looks like there is an excise tax.  How do they determine the value of your furnishings.  I have furniture that is 6 months old, but it is used fruniture now so what determines the value for the excise tax.
Ann

There is a kind of an actuary table but it is a mystery. If it's used furniture probably not worth shipping it down unless you absolutely love it.....are you here for good or just for a while??  you can also listen to WOSO english radio- they have the "STOCK EXCHANGE" and people buy and sell goods.. since the English community moves a lot, people sell good stuff.

Frustratingly, the tax authorities will always assign the highest possible value to your goods. They can be shameless.

Thanks for the info.  the company is moving the houshold goods but not paying the excise tax. That may make it more bearable by the co paying the shipping charges. Where would I find those actuary tables?

Who is moving you? We used a Puerto Rican company from the states and we paid less than $100 to bring our stuff in. Crstevens1, I don't speak any Spanish and I get along here just fine. It's a little tricky sometimes  and also difficult once in awhile but if you use your head it's not too bad. But then again I don't have to work in the regular job market.

I saw something that talked about the excise tax only be levied now on cars tobacco and achohol.  this article talked about this happening in 2006 when sales tax was put into place.  Does anyone know for certain if there is or is not excise tax on household goods coming into PR?

Gregg
I am not sure who the company will designate for the move.  did you have to pay the 6.6% excise tax on your household goods when you moved to PR.

Gregg
What area of PR did you move to?

We didn't pay an excise tax on our household goods. There are certain things you may need to pay an excise tax on such as flat screen TV's over a certain size if they are new. Nothing we owned qualified to be taxed. Since we used a Puerto Rican moving company we just paid a small tariff and our stuff didn't have to sit there for days waiting to be released. Within a day of it's arrival the movers contacted us to set up a delivery time. Since you are in Atlanta I doubt you can get a PR moving company. You can try larosadelmonte.com or montimoving.com We ended up in Moca. Our first choice was Rincon but our temporary apartment rental was disgusting when we arrived so we ended up in motels every night which got very expensive very quickly so we had to settle on something fast.

Topeka and the dollar store on Calle Loiza are great for cheap fill-ins to supplement walgreens and supermax.  Capri in carolina has wicked cheap furniture that is actually very modern and well-made.  Hope it helps.