I WONDER...CONS??

I would like to air an observation i have made on this forum. There are some specific members, who are in the habit of commenting on every post, with an offer to help with whatever the problem of the poster.
For example, they will offer to help one poster acquire Visas, Work permits etc, then they will offer to be a business partner for another poster, they have houses/rooms for those looking for accommodation, they have cabs and other transport solutions for those looking for the same and they have tour guide facilities for those who want to be shown around..etc It is hilarious and at the same time annoying...
I keep thinking to myself what the hell is wrong with this members??!! Maybe its just me, but i think people ought to be wary of such friendly offers...This are people who are out to exploit others, or even con the unsuspecting poster of their hard earned money!!

hey ,i think you missed the point there.By calling other forum members conmen is unfair this site is for connecting people and if their's anyone here who has been conned let them speak for themselves

Hi Pinkheart,

You can use our reporting system to inform us of any inappropriate content on the website.

If you think a content does not fit Expat.com policies, do not hesitate to report it by clicking on the "report" button.

Thank you.

I have also noticed that.  I have wondered about the ability of these people to give impartial advice, when they are clearly self promoting (con is a bit strong) and perhaps should be posting on the 'Classifieds' instead. 

I would be particularly wary of offers of help with work permits.  As with any unsolicited offer, take care and explore the market!

I have also noticed that and trust me those people are not even experts. its high time for this forum to be just for experts like Nairobi Expat Social.

@pink heart, being a kenyan you do not need any help or suggestion from expats, it dosent mean others need not help.
all expats do not have many cars, many houses, travel agencies or hotels. They just give info which they know or which they experienced. Its just to give some support by info which people know. i replied in many posts for what i know or for what my friends told me or for what i experienced. I do not want to make friends here, you are the one who only want to make friends rather than helping.
Some things about you....
1. I remember you are the one who argued with me earlier regarding medical facilities in kenya.
2. I checked all your posts, they all are related to make new friends.
3. Being a kenyan you never tried to give any info or details which can help people.
4. When you create a post, you have to look towards it in future. creating dosent mean just leaving it like that. How many posts did you create and how many you have been following up?
first check mistakes in yourself, later comment for other. hehehehe

You first check that spike in that right eye of yours suribhai,,I like that,u such a gentle man,btwn,they a not conmen, but Jack of all trades.Trying to make ends meet. considering the chances of get-through.,we all need money bwaana

Bushh wrote:

You first check that spike in that right eye of yours suribhai,,I like that,u such a gentle man,btwn,they a not conmen, but Jack of all trades.Trying to make ends meet. considering the chances of get-through.

I find it interesting when an expartriate asks for help,gets the help or suggestion  from other expatriates and locals,then calls people cons.

Someone correct me if I am wrong: expatriates come to Kenya(or any other country for that matter) to make a living. I find it very selfish when some deny the locals an opportunity to make an HONEST living. As Bushh mentioned,many locals are jacks of all trades,not necessarily by choice,but by the experiences we have got over the years. Trust me,there are many people here who can give you contacts in every sector and none of the contacts will be fake or fraud. FYI,many Kenyans are weary of expatriates as well(we have had our share of con expatriates),and the few who take the courage to share the information should not be categorized as cons...if you have had a con experience,share it,and we can advice one another on this forum.

As for making it an expats only blog,feel free to do that,but it beats logic to go to a foreign country and seek help only from a fellow foreigner. How else will you not be exploited and conned if you only got one-sided information.

All said and done,this is my advice: do your research well. Before you agree to someone's suggestion or solution,check around and moderate the information.

Chicita is right,i could not have put it any better myself.We do not have to pass judgement on others.Allow others to share information freely,take your time to do your research and finally make an informed decision.

yeh  trying to figure out who is a hustler and who is a genuine  to know for my own and maybe there benefit is quite difficult  as i sty in hotels and get so many EXPERTS guiding to start new businesses,.,.
i had a guy insisting i visit kisii  with me but i had to py for everythign and also give him pocket money, but he ony wated to go to a funeral there and shoded me nothign of kisiii,.,i learnt to be not so trusting  ahahahha,.still the travel and sights were enlightening,.cheers,.

to be quite honest i wanted to meet genuine kenyan business partners/shop owners/importer with some capitl to invest jointly in new  business  and its so difficult  in the quality fashion business,.cheers any help appreciated,..mike

What an experience!sorry,i couldnt help laughing.Now,seriously, good you found something nice in the scenery and that made it worthy albeit unplanned for;but even better you  learnt not to be too trusting...wish you well as you seek to find genuine business partner(s)

Hello Mr suirvale, here in kenya people are very slow for taking action, and if you want someone to join you then you have to feed them with money and parties. But still you cannot make sure they will join you for business. With personnel experience, my brother tried to get some project from a guy, for that he had to spend lot of money every week for his lunch. he just keep on saying he wil give the project to him. Now he do nto answer the phone calls, may be he got better deal from someone else. But do you think this is god to make someone follow you and you cheat him? So bad, I started hating these people form last week. I intend to start business but not with help of locals. I have my own plan now. Will show who really i am. I got customers form outside so i feel better not to disturb any local people.

All the best to you and be safe..