Anyone in Bucaramanga?

HI Sorry, my fault. Try again

Hi there to you all that out there, lets hang out and let the good times roll.

When are we going to get together?

As i have mentioned before i have setup a group networking bucaramanga in facebook

[moderated]

Ah, after a few more tries I found the FB group now and applied (using other username!)

:) just added you

hi Jacob, read your comments on the blog. my wife and I are also headed to buca. in august. what caught my eye was the fact you were from b-ham..we are from mobile.my wife is colommbiana and I am a gringo.we are also looking for expats there, but it is our understanding very few americans reside in buca. any way if you want to e-mail us my e-mail is [email protected] wish you well. ayda y reggie

There are more gringos than you think

thanks for the reply DonWon.will be buying tickets (July) hope to meet other expats while there and get there views of the living conditions. Can we contact you after our arrival. thanks

reggie y ayda

635 0355 , ok , my name spencer

yeh give me a shout when you are here

Hi Rob,  I live in Floridablanca.  I moved here from Medellin about 2 years ago and I like it here. I am teaching at a school and at a University at this time, but I will probably stop teaching at the end of this year.  I hope you are enjoying Colombia.

Estoy interesado en conocer bucaramanga....quisiera conocer a a alguien que me ensene la ciudad....vivo en tampa florida usa

edi call me , 635 0455, i will show you around.

spencer

Hi,

I also couldn't find the group on Facebook. What is the exact name?

Many thanks and hi from a new member here!

Cheers,

Jon

It is called networking Bucaramanga

facebook.com/groups/459397654134612/

Hi Rob,

I live in Floridablanca..  Close enough?

Mark...

Looking for someone to help me with Spanish in Bucaramanga? They don't need to be a teacher, just someone who will talk with me a couple hours a day and correct what I say. Preferably another lady :)

Aubrie888,

Welcome to the forum!

I sent you a mail about my sister in law, if you are still looking for a teacher.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Aubrie888

What level are you? I know several people who can help you. infact your best thing to do is an intercambio, help someone with English in return for Spanish

What are you doing here in Bucaramanga?

I'm not sure that I would make the best English teacher lol, but we can pay for the lessons. I had taken Spanish in High School and a little in college but haven't used it  much for about 7 years now. So, I have the basic stuff down but really need more than that. I need to know enough Spanish to really do counseling with people. We are missionaries.

Hi Aubrie,

You will be surprised, well anyway. if you want classes i have several teachers who a fluent in Spanish. I actually run a small English academy but we do every now anything have expats who need Spanish. Studying Spanish here in the local Uni etc is very expensive.

Ill send you a private mesg

[Moderated: off topic]

Hello Everybody!
I'm new to this site and came across this thread. I was actually born in Bucaramanga and love my city. I have been in the US for about 15 years now and would like to go back along with my husband (who is also Bumangues) and my two kids. All of our family is there, and I'm honestly tired of working for "the man." haha. I'd like to open my own business there but I need to start somewhere. I'm thinking about becoming a part-time or full-time english teacher; however I do not have any certifications.
I'd also love to meet some of you when I move back!

Hi there,

well if you want to be a full time teacher will be working for the man he will just be colombian hahaha.
You will need to have proof of your english level tofl and get a tefl which you can do online.

There are plenty of academies around, i also own one.

DonWon, yes, unfortunately the man will be Colombian. I have looked and am enrolled to take an ESL/TESOL/TEFL course in March. I hope to move by October. I need to get all of my ducks in a row first. I'm hoping I can find something at least part time as my only expenses will be food for the first few months. We will be staying with My MIL until we can get our own place. I also need to research a school for my daughter. I'd prefer a bilingual school but financially speaking, that will not be an option in the first year or so. Do you have any recommendation of good schools that won't break the bank?

Hi ,
I'm maybe not the person to speak to regarding schools, my daughter is still too young. . i can ask around

We are checking out - Santa Maria de la Loma. We have friends and neighbors who have children attending there and have said its a great school.

It's cheaper than
Tordecillas (the elite) but is the same quality.

Good luck!

Thank you Aubrie888. How long have you been in Bucaramanga for? How long are you planning on staying?
DonWon, I appreciate your help!

We have been in Bucaramanga since November 14, 2013, and we plan on being here for the rest of our lives (apart from visits to the USA).
I think we are going to put our kids in a school here when it starts up again for the little ones (in February),and my plan is to keep homeschooling them in English, American History, and some other subjucts as well.
     Hope all is going well! Have a nice day!
-Aubrie

Hows the learning spanish going?

Aubrie888 wrote:

We have been in Bucaramanga since November 14, 2013, and we plan on being here for the rest of our lives (apart from visits to the USA).
I think we are going to put our kids in a school here when it starts up again for the little ones (in February),and my plan is to keep homeschooling them in English, American History, and some other subjucts as well.
     Hope all is going well! Have a nice day!
-Aubrie

Aubrie, that's what I was planning on doing. I have an 8 year old. I was debating whether to put her in school there or to homeschool her - mainly because I don't want her to lose her english. I was talking to my husband about it yesterday and we think we'll put her in school there and homeschool english. I also plan on speaking to them solely in english. What part of Bucaramanga do you live? We will be moving to the Centro with my MIL as she has a three story house and we'll stay on the second floor and rent from her.

Hey guys,
just thought I would bring this post up again and see how you are all doing.

Anyone fancy getting together at some point?

I just moved back. Lived here for 2 1/2 years, then went back to the states for 5 years. My Colombian wife had to talk me into it.
Now that she has seen that the US is not the "land of opportunity", she thought it was, we are back. We lived in Missouri and I am happy to get away from the winters.
Am putting feelers out for an English teaching job, but have no certifications, so am limited to the schools who do not care.

Alan

Send us your CV please

[email protected]

Hi Rob, I'm thinking about visiting there and I was wondering is it safe? A friend wants me to come visit but all my family can say is no because there are drugs there (like there isn't any here in the states). I'm 23 so it really is my decision but I would like to know your experience there. Thanks.

-Rasheeda

Does anyone here like nachos? Are there lots of bears and lions in Bucaramanga?

Rasheeda, let me tell you what I did this morning.
I walked downtown, to pay a bill, then walked back again.
During that long walk I saw no one selling drugs and no one who appeared to be on drugs.
I have lived here a total of 3 years and twice that I can remember, saw someone who appeared to be high.
What you will many times see though is beggars sleeping on the sidewalks and my Colombian wife always steers me away from them.
The scariest things about coming here are, the landing at the airport and the drivers, when walking.
Don't get yourself killed by assuming that a driver is going to do the right, or even logical, thing.

BTW, the only time I have ever been high myself, was at a party where a lot of marijuana smoke was in the air.
1969 in Atlanta.....lol

Alan

Hi , like anywhere it has it's problems, but it really is not  anything like what the mvoies and news say. bucaramanga is a safe place. i have been living here over a year without problems.

Alan, I'm thinking about going next year but I'd be traveling there alone so I do worry about that. Other than that, I have a place to stay there. I'm so torn but it's mainly because my family is so against it. Other then that, I have no reason to not go.

As long as you fly all the way to Bucaramanga, and keep your luggage close to you, it shouldn't be a problem.
You also would want your friend to meet you at the airport, rather than taking a taxi, or bus, alone, to their house.