Moving in to Bordeaux

Hi there,
I''m moving to Bdx at the end of the month, i lived for a few in there when I was like 16, so 10yrs ago, I've now been in London for 3yrs and have to move for a yr and half in that city, I only remember the weather was great, but I don't know which area I should live in, or avoid, is the tram reliable? Is the bus network good? I will be studying and working from september in the city center (not even sure yet but that's the plan for now) and wonder if it's really that difficult to rent without a job? Also what's happening the week end? Whats open on sundays? Is there like good activities to do, climbing center, or stuff to visit cos I'm a bit scared of not knowing what to do of my free time. Btw if you ppl need someone to learn/improve your french we can swap cos i still need to improve my english pronunciation, i also want to improve my pastry, cooking skills (i'm a kind of bad cook i learned cake deco to fix my burnt cakes i can teach you), and want to learn roller skating i'm so bad at it ahah, so if you want to swap conversation, go cycling, just have a coffee, visit the city, whatever, please let me know. I'm a native french but my english is ok, let say the writing is good but speaking is not hehe (but never been a pb)
Also I was wondering how easy it is to get to the Cap Ferret and Arcachon without a car? And do you know a good driving tuition school in Bdx center? Oh, another question, last one i swear, If i want to get a work experience or internship, out of the scolar system, so without any agreement between a school and the company i want to work for, is that possible in France?
So many questions, thanks for taking time to answer!
Clementine

Hi Clementine!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for this introduction ;)

Armand

Hi Armand,
thanks for your message cos I didn't notice there was a french and spanish part and I found some infos on these,
Clementine

Hi Clementine,

I am quite new here myself, so I don't know the city very well, but I'll try to answer what I can anyway!

For the areas of town, the northern part of the town centre where I live (Chartrons/Jardin Public) is a pretty good area, and so is the western section (e.g. St Seurin). The south side I don't know so well, but I think it's not so nice, especially round the train station. But the universities are also in the south of the city, so there are plenty of student areas around there. From what I have seen and heard, there are no really bad areas (certainly not when compared to London)

The buses and trams are quite good - there are a lot of routes and they are quite regular, in the town centre and even a bit further out, like Merignac or Cauderan. It seems pretty safe too, I haven't seen any trouble, and it's cheap - about 10 or 15 euros for a young person's monthly pass, and they are quite generous with how they define "young" - I think it is under 28! In any case, the town centre is small enough that you can walk most places anyway.

I know that they have buses and trains to the coast, but I haven't tried them out yet - maybe I will if it ever stops raining (your comment about great weather has not proved true so far this year)! The only other thing I can answer is that there is not much open on Sundays - there are a few cafes and grocery shops, but that is about it. It was quite a shock for me moving from England, where Sunday is just like any other day!

Sorry I can't answer your other questions, but I hope this is some help!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your answer, I arrived in Bordeaux few days ago and brought you ... sun :)
I cant believe how cheap the transport is!!
I'm still looking for a flat, so I'm now looking not only inside Bdx but also in areas around, like Merignac, Cauderan, Talence, as you said it wasn't very far I decided to check what was around
Hope you enjoy your new life in Bordeaux

Thanks (for the good wishes and the sunshine :)), and good luck to you too, first of all with the flat-hunting!

Of those places you mentioned, Merignac and Cauderan both seem nice (I don't know anything at all about Talence), but they seem to be maybe more quiet family areas rather than places full of excitement and things to do, if that's what you're looking for. I think I would more recommend Bordeaux if you can find something, but it's true you can always get into town easy enough anyway.

If there's anything I could do to help just ask, or if you fancy going for a drink or a look around the city or something. I still don't know many people here so it's always nice to meet someone new, and I definitely need to improve my French as it is still very poor! (My English is excellent though, as that is my home country!)

Hi Clai,
I intend to leave my flat in any date in this month because I want to share another apartment with my friend. If you want, you can hire my apartment. It's at Eurofac, near Village 5, Gradignan. You must pay 310eur/month for the apartment. However, if you are a student, you can have support from the goverment (CAF) and must only pay about 150eur/month. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Hello huuvu1109 and welcome to Expat.com.

Can you please post an advert in the section housing in Bordeaux?

Thank you,
Aurélie