Becoming an expat......the long road away from home

For many years I have had in the back of my mind relocating to a country....a society more in tune with my point of view.  I have not been on this blog so I may have alot to learn so be kind......but I am very disillusioned with life in these United states.  I am so interested to know if in Canada there is more a feeling of "for the greater good".  I think so.  I hope so.  I don't want to say to much or reveal more than I think would be appropriate for a greenie on a blog but I am looking for information.  Is there anybody out there who feels like me and who has made the big move.  I need information.  I am looking for people who, like me, were looking for something more than buy, buy, buy and then watch reality tv. HELP!

As a Canadian citizen and resident I felt the same way you do...very disillusioned with the society I lived in and depressed about it.  I moved to Africa and at this point I never want to go back to North America if I can help it.

IMO, Canada is probably a bit better than our neighbours to the south at keeping it real but overall it is the same sh@t in a different pile.  You may feel differently if you went up there.  Maybe it all depends on where you are from in the US or Canada?  Who knows. 

Why not give it a shot?  You never know until you try and a little change never hurt anyone. 

Happy decision making!

I went to Canada with my cousin...she was invited to a wedding in May and forced me to go along with her because she didnt want to go alone...anyways we both went to toronto and fell in love with the place....I want to live there...as pathetic as this may sound it fely like home to me.

I am in the process of moving to Canada.  A major part of why I decided to move to Canada is I got tired of the "Me first" attitude.  I am an American but it seems like that this place has turned very selfish.  Americans don't even care what happens to other Americans anymore. 

Politically things have taken a turn for the worse.  Our politicians keep telling us that if we are willing to sacrifice just a little bit more they can give the ultra rich another tax cut and then maybe they will start hiring more people. 

Anyway, it's more than that.. In Canada crime is lower, life expectancies are higher, incomes are higher and people are nicer.  I have been to Canada many times and I keep asking myself why I have waited as long as I have to finally make the move.  I guess that it took a while for me get past the "America is the greatest nation in the world" brainwashing. 

Sorry if I got carried away there.. Cheers

I feel the same way about Europe in general.

I'm from the UK originally but came to live in Belgium six years ago.

Don't get me wrong, Brussels is a nice enough place, but it's the mentality of the people that annoy me.

I've been to Canada twice and fell in love with the place, the open spaces, the kindness of people, the nature, simply amazing.

The prices of houses compared to here is shocking, you get so much more for half the price in Canada, even some of the more expensive areas.

Looking to start the application process soon.

Cheers