Thinking of moving to Oz, but want to bring a family member?

Me and the missus are currently thinking of packing up and moving to Australia, Perth.

I'm an electrical engineer and she's a nurse so we figure work should be easy enough to come by in time.

Our problem is, we have to very young children and the type of work we do has sporadic working hours so would need a carer like we do back at home, which is is usually where my missus grandmother comes in.

What requirements would she need to stay with us? Could we sponsor her for a visa once we had a visa of our own? She would live with and and be dependent on us which would suit us fine.

Hi Heethy,

You might want to check out Australia's Department of Immigration and Citizenship website immi.gov.au for more information about the different visas.

It looks like both of you could qualify for one of the skilled migration visas. However, the skilled migration program is changing this July 2012 and is called Skilled Select. More information is found in immi.gov.au

You might want to consider including your mother in law already in the specific visa if she can be included and is considered a dependent. Otherwise, it might take a long time or she might not qualify depending on the family visa policy. People have mentioned in the internet that there is some family ratio they go by if they can be approved. Something to the effect of how many of the family members currently live in Australia compared to the other country,etc.

Hi Jb09

Thanks for the reply, I've recently checked out the Immi.go.au website and it was quite confusing then! My qualifications don't meet the requirements I don't think as I did not go to university.

However my wife did so would qualify for the skills nominated Subclass 190? Which would give us a route to a permanent visa and citizenship? Which would allow us to sponsor my mother in law on a 12 month tourist visa?

There's so much information to take in, were going to do a recon trip in July, find an area to live, work etc but obviously we will have to then apply for a visa through the new skilled select programme :/