Expats Life in PNG

Hi everyone,

I have received a Job offer of US$ 60,000 per year (tax free) in PNG as an Expat with accommodation and meals i want to know should i consider it or not?

How is the life style there? What about security situation? what about health centers there? any recreational activities or not? About people and their behavior? Any good internet services available and cellular company and what are there rates? Daily routine items expensive or cheap?

Please give your valuable comments

Cheers

Gallian

Hi Gallian and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

Hi, I have lived in Pom for close to 2 years since 2010, with regards to security, since we have arrived we have heard of expat friends attempted car jackings and successful ones pretty often. Rapes of expat wives in their own homes in broad daylight, robberies of houses, in supermarkets, etc. My own nanny says young kids always try to snatch her bag on her way home on pay days (fridays) and hence she asks to be paid on Mondays instead. An expat woman recently driving to Airways Hotel for dinner was carjacked by some fellas with guns and they held her for 2 hours and repeatedly raped her.  The poor woman managed to escape adter that. Not sure if those animals have been caught. Therefore lifestyle is limited if you want to minimize your risk. Be safe rather than sorry. Life in Png is certainly not the same as your home, but friends and some alcohol will keep you company. It's easy to make friends in Png.

There are health clubs at Airways and the Yacht club which you can pay per visit or take an annual membership. Per visit can cost about 100 kinas.

People are mostly very friendly here. The people my husband works with are wonderful. My housekeepers and nanny are wonderful. Service staff are always pleasant and smiling, though very slow and you will learn to build patience over time. Other than that, we dont have much contact with the locals.

Daily groceries and items are expensive. Not sure where you come from but compared to Singapore, its almost twice as much. And not always available. Frustrating at times to have to go to 3 supermarkets to find something as common like chicken or sugar. Food items on shelves are often expired or very close to expiry. 

There are 2 telephone companies, Digicel and B Mobile. I used Digicel and they provide Internet package as well for home and mobile data plans. Internet plan is not unlimited and not cheap. Have to go on Internet diet while in Pom. Sorry I don't have details on price. Everything is available in Pom, just at a high price.

Hope this helps!