Advice on Renting a Villa in Bali

Hi there,

As a follow up to a previous post I did about renting a house in Bali long-term, many people have asked for specific information about renting a villa in Bali long-term also so I have tried to give some pointers on this.

One of the main problems is the fact that you have to pay a year's rent up front - slightly unnerving and rather problematic for some. The ironic thing is that villa rental is rather cheap but having to have the cash up front certainly doesn't make it feel that way.

Another thing is that, as distinct from houses, many villas come furnished but not all - it's very much recommended that this is clear before you take anything!

My final point to note would be to check the place out at night - some villas are set in seeming idyllic locations only for there to be a hidden karaoke bar (AKA brothel) behind it that blasts out music till dawn - worth noting!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Steve

Check the 'who repairs what' in the contract.

Make sure you're aware of local service charges for rubbish collection, security and so on.

Make sure you report to the local cops within 24 hours of moving in.

Turn the water on high and run a few taps. Make sure the water meter is stood still when nothing is on. Leaks caused by terrible piping is a common and potentially expensive problem.

Some very good points Mas Fred! I also forgot to mention that you should, if looking in the wet season, have a look at the house in heavy rain - so many have leaks and the like which are only revealed in tropical downpours!!

(moderated: no free publicity on this site + can you post your advert in the section Housing in Bali)

sjbeale wrote:

I also forgot to mention that you should, if looking in the wet season, have a look at the house in heavy rain

No truer words.

My place is terrible. Water everywhere when it rains. Brand new house as well.
We move next week but I checked it out in the downpour yesterday afternoon.

mas fred wrote:

No truer words.

My place is terrible. Water everywhere when it rains. Brand new house as well.
We move next week but I checked it out in the downpour yesterday afternoon.

Unfortunately, it's not always possible, especially if you're looking for a place in the dry season!

@masfred Has it stopped raining where you are yet? Here in Bali we've had a few showers lately - I thought the rainy season had finished! It's doing its transitional phase thing where it changes constantly but the mornings are feeling cooler - a very welcome change!

Not yet.
Rains a lot here.

Yeah, I agree that renting villa in Bali needs a special attention actually. Maybe some villas are asked us to pay a rent up front, it is why we have to ask about it in detail before we decide to rent. Villas in Bali are definitely various in their services and facilities, we just choose the one which suits to our needs before the holiday. Furthermore, some villas are maybe distinct to our furnished homes, but maybe there some which are similar to what we want. It is why we have to confirm it clearly before we rent. Yeah, some villas in Bali are located in the small district which is far from the crowd. It is why we have to look for the one which is suitable to our pleasure. If we like to be related with quietness, the one which is located in hidden area is maybe much more comfortable to us. But if we like to enjoy the surprising nightlife, villas which are close to bars and clubs are also available. Do not forget to bring the map or ask staff to explain the location in order to avoid us to get lost. May we can try this one for consideration www.allbalivillas.com

[moderated: no free ads please + register your company in the business directory]

Here are now different threads where people offering or asking help if someone wants to long term lease or buy a villa in Bali.

Is it possible for the mods to merge the various threads into one only ??

Hello all

@happyhour : The accomodation in Bali section of the forum is specially for members to create their own threads or to go over there to gather infos from threads created by others.

If we have to merge the rental threads, almost all threads in the accomodation forum must be merged  :P

Also merging down these threads will not be practical because it will create a 20 or more page of a thread, with various infos, budget, location. We prefer each thread to remain separate so that members can browse rapidly through them if they need a specific info.

It is now more and more asked that members place their adverts of rentals or sales in our Housing section of the site, so as to better list information on the forum.

Thank you for your suggestion anyways, whenever we find it possible, we will not fail to do it ;)

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi. I just have finished renting the villa Gita Segara in Candidasa. It was a perfect place for my holiday. I found this villa in holidaylettings.co.uk  - holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/candi-dasa/5657261