advice for people coming or relocating to Cape Verde

Hello, This Is Alfred Robinson.
I am very sorry for the late reply. I am currently out of CV travelled to neighboring country The Gambia, and will be back next month, May, God's willing.

Your decision to relocate to your home town Cape Verde is a great choice my dear, Your home town is amazing, and would recommend her to anyone seeking a place to migrate. Concerning the things I wrote about coming or relocating to CV, they are all true and real, things are cheap and affordable. Your friends are realistic, but a lt all depends on the type of lives they live, may be they live large, and expects you to live the same, but I always tell the people that comes through me, that CV is in different phases, this means, you can decide to live very large if you have more than enough, you will also want to live a low and steady life, or just want to live a pure down to earth life, in which you will live like a poor person, but yet very rich in your account statements or investments you have put in place. Like CV Angelo has stated, i also know that there are great and wonderful houses in Cape Verde that are very cheap and affordable, ranging from 150-250$ a month, 2-3 bedroom and these houses are also in the Urban and rural areas, but many rich people do not know this because they wanna live in a place where are highly recommended by the housing agents. Well, by way you sound, I believe you must be a competent lady, which directs me to let you know that you could live large in a smaller way, very low but standard and clean. Maids are affordable, transportations also, Since you are relocating with your kid and properties, then I do advise you live in praia, which is the capital city as you may, praia has everything you would want, other islands get their supplements and aids from praia, praia is also the home to US Embassy and the best private and public schools for your baby. but for you live a great high standard life in a cheaper way in praia, you must go along with people on the low side, from their words and experience you do get the best out of it.
Well, the ball is in your court. your friends are realistic like I said earlier, it all depends on your income and way of life.
Also, I do advise that you ship whatsoever that you wanna ship in advance, may be 2-3 months before your arrival, because the shipping companies in USA are so poor in delays.
Feel free to contact me anytime.

My Regards

@CVAngelo
Wow..the best advice given. Unfortunately, I lived in a CV community when I was little and have since then moved to Atlanta in other African communities -- none of which is portuguese. I know a little bit of french, spanish and italian -- very little (basic conversation). Took a Brazilian Portuguese private lesson back in 2011, which was inspired by my 2 trips to CV in 2007 and 2008 with a US Delegation led by Nelson Gregor and John Monteiro. Most of my trip was working with the government, Cape Verde Fast Ferry and other waste mgt businesses instead of buying land and setting up dual citizenship (3rd gen CV) or connecting with anyone to lead me to relatives locally in Fogo.

One thing that I could not find online was a list of the schools in Praia or Sao Vicente.

Both cities are what I am targeting to see which one would offer the best option for me and future business, i.e. CV temp agency (hospitality, IT and corporate placements) and English tutoring service. My son will be entering elementary school. My goal is to have him learn the language and gain a better education than he would have in the South while I establish business there.

Initially, my savings would cover year one while I work a virtual U.S. position to tie me over year two, while I use other monies to start businesses.I have connections of locals who speak both English and Portuguese to help me do any and all important legal and financial work. I already have a bank account there. I just need to be ready to make the move.

Again, thank you for painting a more realistic picture for shipping my things there (among other important information).

@alfredrobinson

I am feeling a bit more confident in making this move. I have met with CV govt officials here in Atlanta and in Sal, Sao Vicente, Boa Vista, Fogo, Brava and Praia. I've visited Tarrafal and spent time in Cidade de Velha. I've also had an opportunity to be an invited guest at the U.S. Embassy and several CV business meetings to discuss the infrastructure and needs from US CV communities in New England, West and South.

I will take heed in living a modest lifestyle in CV, as I will be shipping my belongings and car there. Yes, I can afford luxury but I want to do more with my money than "fake the funk". When I know for sure that I have a well established, local business and command of both formal Portuguese and Krioulu, then I'll upgrade my lifestyle.

Again both you and Angelo have been a tremendous help.

Hi there CVgirlusa,

Wow! It's such a small world. I know Nelson very well. In fact, I was the previous CFO at CV Fast Ferry. And John is a also good friend of mine. Too funny.

And you obviously are already somewhat familiar with CV given your earlier visits and your contacts. However, I would strongly advise against a move to São Vicente if you have any hopes of having a successful business. I am an entrepreneur myself. SV has been in a deep recession for years. There is no money there and unemployment is extremely high. I used to own two businesses there (while I did the same thing you have in mind...virtual consulting to clients back in the US). But I very quickly relocated to Praia. This is where the economic pulse of CV (outside the tourism sector) is to be found. For tourism-based opportunities, one would focus on Sal (and secondarily, Boa Vista).

But it is still tough in terms of the current state of the economy. I started a food-import business in Praia which was good for two years, but things started declining as the economy stalled. I closed that business and started other ventures primarily in the mobile technology sector. Business ventures in the services sector are likely to be more successful going forward. And I think you are spot on with the employment agency concept. (English tutoring is an area that is already heavily served here...so you will find a lot of competition in that regard). There are few, if any, employment agencies. There is thus a significant opportunity for entrepreneurs in this area because there are so many people looking for jobs. However, there are few job openings at present. The opportunity exists because the job market is highly disorganized and there is no real information flow regarding the supply (openings) and the demand (qualified applicants)...there's a hit-or-miss Facebook group that is such an unbelievable joke, but it only goes to prove that this kind of service is sorely needed here.

The result is that what few jobs exist are doled out to friends and family who are often highly unqualified for the roles; everyone loses. A disciplined, information-driven approach is what's needed. If you can bring that, especially through the efficient use of technology as is now being done throughout the developing African nations, you could be quite successful. (You may not believe me, but I put together a business concept plan in 2008 for exactly this...an employment agency built on a technology platform).

Well, I think this is the opportune time for someone coming from the USA to invest in or start a business here in CV: the US dollar is at its strongest ever in terms of exchange rate to the escudo, and we are in a recession (there is nowhere to go but up). So your timing is perfect.

Oh yes, as far as schools, you can find the directory provided by the ministry of education at this link which shows public AND private schools by island (including the contact numbers and emails for the schools and for the local delegations): Listing of all secondary schools in CV

So best of luck, and if you'd like to speak further off of the public forum, just send me a private message and we can connect. Or just ask Nelson or John for my contact info whenever you're ready. (I'd be happy to send you my business concept paper if you'd like to see it).

Abraço

Angelo

cvgirlusa wrote:

@CVAngelo
Wow..the best advice given. Unfortunately, I lived in a CV community when I was little and have since then moved to Atlanta in other African communities -- none of which is portuguese. I know a little bit of french, spanish and italian -- very little (basic conversation). Took a Brazilian Portuguese private lesson back in 2011, which was inspired by my 2 trips to CV in 2007 and 2008 with a US Delegation led by Nelson Gregor and John Monteiro. Most of my trip was working with the government, Cape Verde Fast Ferry and other waste mgt businesses instead of buying land and setting up dual citizenship (3rd gen CV) or connecting with anyone to lead me to relatives locally in Fogo.

One thing that I could not find online was a list of the schools in Praia or Sao Vicente.

Both cities are what I am targeting to see which one would offer the best option for me and future business, i.e. CV temp agency (hospitality, IT and corporate placements) and English tutoring service. My son will be entering elementary school. My goal is to have him learn the language and gain a better education than he would have in the South while I establish business there.

Initially, my savings would cover year one while I work a virtual U.S. position to tie me over year two, while I use other monies to start businesses.I have connections of locals who speak both English and Portuguese to help me do any and all important legal and financial work. I already have a bank account there. I just need to be ready to make the move.

Again, thank you for painting a more realistic picture for shipping my things there (among other important information).

Plz house , I need ur help. Am a nigerian , and I stay in Lagos I will be travelling to Cape Verde in few days and I want to list the documents I will be going with. Hotel reservation, a guarantee letter ( although I don't know how genuine d letter is, but it was giving to me by an agent), my international passport ( although I have an Egyptian visa on it and  four other west african country's stamps, and I have a BTA of $900. My flight ticket is aslo all round ticket.I hope I wount be denied any entry . Thanks. Waiting for ur reply

Hello, I am coming here on the basis of moving to Cape Verde, Or at least giving it a try for a couple years!
I have a few questions for anybody who knows the country well to help give me some answers please!

1st one I have up is, I noticed somewhere in this thread there was talk of "uneducated" workers, I am guessing from that, you meant higher education, like universities etc., I am in USA of now and have always loved and studied African culture, and love countries like Ghana, Senegal, Nigeria, etc. and as of now I am 17 and plan to finish public schooling by the year 2016, and after that I have plans to live abroad and maybe skip the whole university thing, And Cape Verde came up too me, As I have noted the cost for living is not to high as it is in a suburb here in Florida.
So back to my question is, If I have a Public School education 12 years, and I were to move to Cape Verde, Would I be able to find a decent/good paying job? Or would it be difficult? I did notice you talked about language speaking, I am a great learner and have had a mission to be fluent in as many languages as I can! I hate the learning in the classroom and prefer the learning outside in the streets and the lingo of the people. As of now, I speak English, Ukrainian and Greek ( I understand the last two are probably very low for being spoken ) and right at the moment I am learning French, and have covered some Portuguese in online websites like Dulingo, etc., I am trying my best!

So in a summary, would finding a job with public education as a 18 year old be easy in Cape Verde? I will move to the easiest place to get one! Location does not bother me, as long as safety is in somewhat good order I am fine, And physical labor, or relaxed cashier labor does not bother me, A job is a job, money is money! And how much of a impact would the language take place? I learn fast as long as I am using something in priority and everyday, I have taken note since I have spoken 3 languages fluently since a very young age!

Any help to clarify my question on that would be great!!

My 2nd question on living in Cape Verde, Is how are the living conditions? As I am a fan of cities, I have lived in the suburbs and out skirts of Tampa and love the peaceful simple life as well, but here we have abundance of supplies and I would like to know what would the change, Like in water consumption, abundance, etc., How is the electricity? Do the power plants cut out frequently? etc. and how is health care? If I have the flu and need to see a doctor? Is there any serious outbreaks of any kind? Is the internet good quality for long distance skype calls, or anything like that?? ( I only ask about Internet, because as a 18 year old, my family will want to talk to me! ). How bad is the criminal activity?  And do people target foreigners? I have had trouble with this in the past when I was in Barbados, As I like to make clear I and my friend will be safe ( As I noticed I forgot to mention, I most likely will have a friend coming with me, He who speaks English, Russian and learning French just like me, )!

I think as for questions that sums up anything I am disputing for my travels!
Any clarification or help with this would be great!

I love history and culture, And have ALWAYS wanted to see Africa, Ever since I was a child, Africa has always been on my top of the list as the culture is just amazing! I have been to Ghana, which I loved, but I want to move somewhere small, and a simple life and Cape Verde seems like a first place to hit!

Again THANK YOU! For the help!

Hi Nikolas,

I may be able to help. I've provided responses in ALL CAPS so you can see them below:

"So back to my question is, If I have a Public School education 12 years, and I were to move to Cape Verde, Would I be able to find a decent/good paying job? PROBABLY NOT. FIRST OF ALL, THIS IS AFRICA AND THE WAGE SCALE IS NOT COMPARABLE TO AMERICA. YOU'D PROBABLY BE LOOKING AT A SALARY OF AROUND $250-300 PER MONTH TOPS WITH JUST A PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATION AND NO PROFESSIONAL SKILLS (BUT THAT'S A LIVEABLE WAGE). IN ADDITION, YOU'D BE COMPETING WITH UNEMPLOYED CAPE VERDEANS THOUSANDS OF WHOM HAVE PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATION, PLUS UNEMPLOYED LOCAL UNIVERSITY GRADS. NEXT, THERE AREN'T THAT MANY JOBS IN CAPE VERDE (HENCE ALL THE UNEMPLOYMENT). FINALLY, IF YOU CANNOT SPEAK PORTUGUESE OR KRIOULU FLUENTLY, YOUR CHANCES ARE NEAR ZERO OUT THE GATES. YOU'D BE BETTER OFF STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS FRANKLY. ONLY QUESTION IS WHAT?

Or would it be difficult? I did notice you talked about language speaking, I am a great learner and have had a mission to be fluent in as many languages as I can! I hate the learning in the classroom and prefer the learning outside in the streets and the lingo of the people. As of now, I speak English, Ukrainian and Greek ( I understand the last two are probably very low for being spoken ) and right at the moment I am learning French, and have covered some Portuguese in online websites like Dulingo, etc., I am trying my best! YES, YOU WILL FIRST NEED TO MASTER THE LOCAL LANGUAGE TO HAVE ANY CHANCE AT ALL. WITHOUT THIS, IT WOULD BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE. HOWEVER, YOU MIGHT STAND A SMALL CHANCE ON THE ISLANDS OF SAL OR BOAVISTA WHERE 90% OF THE TOURISTS GO. YOUR ABILITY TO SPEAK ENGLISH MIGHT HELP YOU LAND SOMETHING WITH ONE OF THE HOTELS OR TOUR COMPANIES. THE MAJORITY OF THE TOURISTS COME FROM ENGLAND AND SOME OF THE TOUR COMPANIES ARE OWNED BY ENGLISH INVESTORS AND RUN BY ENGLISH MANAGEMENT. SO YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OVER THE LOCAL CANDIDATES.

So in a summary, would finding a job with public education as a 18 year old be easy in Cape Verde? NO, IT WOULD BE VERY DIFFICULT. I will move to the easiest place to get one! Location does not bother me, as long as safety is in somewhat good order I am fine, SO YOU SHOULD TRY SAL OR BOA VISTA. And physical labor, or relaxed cashier labor does not bother me, A job is a job, money is money! THAT'S A GREAT ATTITUDE. YOU CAN SURVIVE HERE BECAUSE YOU WON'T MAKE THAT MUCH MONEY BUT YOU WILL MAKE ENOUGH TO SURVIVE IF THAT'S YOUR GOAL. And how much of a impact would the language take place? I learn fast as long as I am using something in priority and everyday, I have taken note since I have spoken 3 languages fluently since a very young age! THUS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP KRIOULU REALLY FAST. IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT BUT YOUR AMERICAN ACCENT COULD BE A HINDRANCE. IN THE US WE TEND TO SPEAK LIGHTLY AND WITH MUCH ELEGANCE. KRIOULU IS NOT A PRETTY LANGUAGE. IT IS SOMEWHAT CRUDE, ROUGH AND SPOKEN WITHOUT MUCH ELEGANCE. LOL.

My 2nd question on living in Cape Verde, Is how are the living conditions? IT IS AFRICA! DON'T EXPECT A LUXURY. WE SURVIVE HERE.

As I am a fan of cities, I have lived in the suburbs and out skirts of Tampa and love the peaceful simple life as well, but here we have abundance of supplies and I would like to know what would the change. Like in water consumption, abundance, etc. IN A NUTSHELL, IT AIN'T NOTHING LIKE TAMPA. SET YOUR EXPECTATIONS WAY, WAY, WAY BELOW THAT AND YOU'LL DO FINE HERE. ALSO, CAPE VERDE IS NOTHING LIKE ACCRA OR DAKAR. WHILE WE BOAST OF BEING AMONG THE TOPS IN AFRICA, THAT IDLE BOAST IS BASED ON AVERAGES, NOT REALITY. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. CAPE VERDE IS DECADES BEHIND CITIES LIKE DAKAR, ACCRA, LAGOS, KIGALI, NAIROBI, KAMPALA, ETC. WE ARE A LITTLE, TINY ISLAND CHAIN WITH A SMALL POPULATION (SPREAD AMONG ALL THESE ISLANDS) AND FEW NATURAL RESOURCES. BUT STILL, CAPE VERDE IS WAY AHEAD OF THE POOREST REGIONS IN THOSE AFRICAN COUNTRIES. AS AN ISLAND CHAIN, IT IS ALSO DECADES BEHIND OTHER ISLANDS LIKE THOSE IN THE CARIBBEAN (SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE BEEN TO BARBADOS). HOPEFULLY, I HAVE SET YOUR EXPECTATIONS APPROPRIATELY.

How is the electricity? Do the power plants cut out frequently? IT'S AMONG THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN THE WORLD. THE LOCAL PLANTS ARE DOING BETTER BUT MOSTLY IN THE CAPITAL CITY WHERE 25% OF CV'S POPULATION RESIDES. THAT'S WHERE THE BULK OF INVESTMENT IN UTILITIES HAS BEEN. OUTSIDE OF PRAIA, THE RECORD IS QUITE SPOTTY. THE CUTS MAY NOT NECESSARILY BE FREQUENT, BUT COULD SOMETIMES EXTEND FOR AN ENTIRE DAY OR LONGER IN OTHER ISLANDS. ON SAL AND BOA VISTA THERE ARE PRIVATE COMPANIES GENERATING ELECTRICITY BECAUSE BIG HOTELS WITH THOUSANDS OF FOREIGN GUESTS CANNOT AFFORD NOT TO HAVE RELIABLE ELECTRICITY AND WATER SUPPLIES.

How is health care? If I have the flu and need to see a doctor? Is there any serious outbreaks of any kind? STAY HEALTHY WOULD BE MY BEST ADVICE. ONE GREAT THING YOU'LL OBSERVE ABOUT CAPE VERDEANS IS THAT THERE IS ALMOST NO OBESITY. THEY ARE CONSTANTLY IN MOTION. EVERYONE EXERCISES OR AT LEAST WALKS EVERYWHERE (BECAUSE FEW CAN AFFORD CARS, AND EVEN IN THE FEW PLACES WHERE THERE IS PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, MANY CANNOT AFFORD IT). JUST AS WELL. DON´T GET SICK. MINOR THINGS LIKE THE COLD ARE IRRELEVANT. NO ONE DIES OF THESE THINGS. THERE IS NO FLU HERE OR OTHER SERIOUS OUTBREAKS. HOWEVER, IF YOU SUFFER A SERIOUS ILLNESS OR ACCIDENT, BE PREPARED TO FLY TO DAKAR, SENEGAL IN A LIFE-OR-DEATH EMERGENCY. IT IS ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY. YOU SHOULD LOOK NOW FOR THE HOSPITAL WHERE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED SO THAT THERE ARE NO DELAYS SHOULD THE UNTHINKABLE OCCUR. IF IT IS AN AILMENT THAT REQUIRES EXTENSIVE TREATMENT BUT IS NOT AN IMMEDIATE LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION, PLAN TO GO BACK TO THE US/EUROPE FOR TREATMENT (VERY EXPENSIVE OPTION), OR BRAZIL (MUCH CHEAPER AND ONLY 2.5 HOURS AWAY). FRANKLY, YOU'RE ONLY 18 YEARS OLD. YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO WORRY MUCH ABOUT THIS. JUST EAT HEALTHY, CUT OUT ALL THE JUNK FOOD AND SUGAR, AND EXERCISE. AT YOUR AGE, YOU'RE VIRTUALLY INVINCIBLE WITH A GOOD REGIMEN. LOL

Is the internet good quality for long distance skype calls, or anything like that?? ( I only ask about Internet, because as a 18 year old, my family will want to talk to me! ). THE INTERNET SUCKS IN CAPE VERDE. THE SPEEDS ARE LAUGHABLE ESPECIALLY UPLOAD SPEEDS. DOWNLOAD MIGHT HIT 2-3 Mbps (IN EARLY MORNING OR LATE NIGHT WHEN FEW PEOPLE ARE ONLINE) BUT UPLOAD SPEEDS ARE UNDER 0.5 Mbps. SO YOU'LL BE FINE FOR TEXT MESSAGING ON APPS LIKE VIBER, MESSENGER, SKYPE. BUT FOR VOIP, FORGET IT UNLESS YOU'RE PLANNING TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION AT 2 IN THE MORNING. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT FLORIDA IS 3 HOURS BEHIND US SO YOU'LL CATCH THEM WHEN THEY ARE STILL AWAKE. LOL

How bad is the criminal activity? And do people target foreigners? I have had trouble with this in the past when I was in Barbados, As I like to make clear I and my friend will be safe ( As I noticed I forgot to mention, I most likely will have a friend coming with me, He who speaks English, Russian and learning French just like me, )! IN THE CITIES, LIKE PRAIA AND MINDELO, CRIMINAL ACTIVITY IS HIGH. BUT IT IS MOSTLY NON-VIOLENT CRIME...PETTY THEFT. IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU WANDER OFF THE BEATEN PATH AT NIGHT, EXPECT TO BE RELIEVED OF YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS. ANYTHING NOT NAILED OR CHAINED DOWN IN CAPE VERDE IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO THEFT. CELL PHONES ARE WORTH MORE THAT DRUGS. AS A FOREIGNER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE WHITE, YOU WILL CERTAINLY BE TARGETED. IT'S THE REASON JESSE JAMES USED TO ROB BANKS...THAT'S WHERE THE MONEY WAS. LOL. BUT DON'T BE AFRAID OF BEING SHOT OR STABBED. VIOLENT CRIME IS RARE.

BUT, PERSONALLY, I THINK THE BIGGER ISSUE IS THE SCAMMERS AND CONFIDENCE TRICKSTERS. THIS IS THE KIND OF TARGETING THAT IS GOING TO BE MUCH MORE DANGEROUS FOR YOU BECAUSE THE SCAMMERS MAY MAKE OFF WITH GREATER SUMS OF YOUR MONEY. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE. AND I SERIOUSLY MEAN THAT. NO MANNER HOW NICE SOMEONE SEEMS OR HOW LONG YOU'VE "KNOWN" THEM. YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS IF YOU DO. HUSTLERS HERE ARE EXTREMELY PATIENT. I HAVE LOST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TRUSTING PEOPLE THAT I KNEW FOR YEARS AND/OR I BELIEVED TO BE FRIENDS. THEY WERE JUST WAITING FOR A BIG PAYDAY. LOL. ALSO, DON'T "LOAN" ANYONE ANY MONEY. YOU WILL NEVER BE REPAID.

Hope this helps, Nikolas. Feel free to contact me via private email if you need to discuss anything that may not be appropriate on the public forum.

Angelo

Thank you!! that really did help A LOT!!!
I think I have came up with one more question about jobs and living, On the tourist islands you have spoken of, If I in theory went to Cape Verde to live and got a job because I spoke fluent English at a Hotel front Desk, Is the living at one of those islands match up to my wage? Because in circumstances I could be the only person going, Or I could potentially have a friend coming which could maybe mean 2 wages for one home! So on those islands is the living cost much higher or around the same in general?

Also another thing about creating a business, As a foreign investor and business, is it easy to create one? I come from a family that makes roughly 100,000 USD a year, and right now I have a base job saving up money as much as I can, So is it easy to start one? I am more on computers, sports, and trade, Due to me having much knowledge on those things.

I would probably by the time if I were to go to Cape Verde have enough money 3000 USD to start a business,

I see we have covered about comparing CV to other countries/cities, The main reason I am choosing CV is because of its size and location, and its comparison for the African Continent, The only main other African country I could see going to as of after high school is Seychelles, but I am not too big on its location being so far from EU!

Also I took note, I have a master plan to travel as much of the world as I can, Living with too much money is not something I want, I just want enough to have a food and a suitable living, and I am good!

The one thing I feel I must say is about location, i have noticed, Most people saying how everything is relatively close, ( Brazil, Ghana, EU, USA ), and that is one thing I would love VERY much for travel!

Thank you again for the help!
@CVAngelo

NikolasMartin wrote:

Thank you!! that really did help A LOT!!!
I think I have came up with one more question about jobs and living, On the tourist islands you have spoken of, If I in theory went to Cape Verde to live and got a job because I spoke fluent English at a Hotel front Desk, Is the living at one of those islands match up to my wage? Because in circumstances I could be the only person going, Or I could potentially have a friend coming which could maybe mean 2 wages for one home! So on those islands is the living cost much higher or around the same in general?

Also another thing about creating a business, As a foreign investor and business, is it easy to create one? I come from a family that makes roughly 100,000 USD a year, and right now I have a base job saving up money as much as I can, So is it easy to start one? I am more on computers, sports, and trade, Due to me having much knowledge on those things.

I would probably by the time if I were to go to Cape Verde have enough money 3000 USD to start a business,

I see we have covered about comparing CV to other countries/cities, The main reason I am choosing CV is because of its size and location, and its comparison for the African Continent, The only main other African country I could see going to as of after high school is Seychelles, but I am not too big on its location being so far from EU!

Also I took note, I have a master plan to travel as much of the world as I can, Living with too much money is not something I want, I just want enough to have a food and a suitable living, and I am good!

The one thing I feel I must say is about location, i have noticed, Most people saying how everything is relatively close, ( Brazil, Ghana, EU, USA ), and that is one thing I would love VERY much for travel!

Thank you again for the help!
@CVAngelo


Hi again Nikolas,

If you were to land a job in Sal or Boavista in the tourism industry (and your travel companion also was able to do this), then yes, you would be able to live comfortably if you were to share an apartment. The wages there would actually be higher. You might make closer to $600/month each. But the cost of living there is considerably higher than in the rest of CV. Yet, with the higher salaries, you should be good.

Starting a formal business in CV is extremely easy. It takes 48 hours to register and you'll also have to come up with about $300-400 in fees ($200 to register the business and $100 to hire an accountant to give you a certificate of fiscal responsibility...the accountants in Sal may charge a bit more than $100 but it should not be more than $200). On the other hand, if your business is extremely simple - for example, lets say you help train people to use some software - you may not even want to register a business to do that. Keep the business totally informal. You'll save a lot in taxes and fees. There is a huge informal business sector in CV. Most of the micro businesses are simple informal businesses that are not registered (probably because the micro-entrepreneurs can't afford the $400 of fees). The reason  I suggested you think about having your own business is that typically, foreigners like yourself come with lots of knowledge and skills that may be absent in CV. So you can use your knowledge to earn a little extra money on the side.

In any event, you have EXACTLY the right attitude towards life, money and getting to know the world. It's quite refreshing to see in a young man of your age. But don't let distance be a constraint for you. Jet airplanes fly really fast and if you like reading a good book or exploring the web, you can be anywhere before you know it.

So, don't count the Seychelles out of your plans entirely. It's one of the top performing countries in Africa even though it is an island archipelago like CV (even smaller). The standard of living there is significantly higher than in CV and you're probably more likely to find gainful employment since there are more and higher paying jobs there. But, you should definitely experience Cape Verde.

Finally, you can read more about Cape Verde as well as investing in CV right here on the Expat.com. You'll find two of my blogs, "The Great Cape Verde Adventure" and "Investing in Cape Verde" on the Cape Verde home page of Expat. In the investment blog, I've done a comparison of CV to other islands including the Seychelles.

Cheers,

Angelo

Thank you for all the help!
I will look into it, another island I have been looking at was Mauritius, and time is not of a issue, whether it is 7 hours or 2 hours, I just like the thought of being in a centralized place and everything ready for a adventure, but if it adds a couple hours, then may it be so!

I still got about 2 more years of hard studying of my adventure, but I will take note of everything you have said, If I have anymore questions, I will be back on this thread, I will check out your comparisons too, You have some great insight and knowledge about this, well at least more then me!

I must thank you again for the help and time you put into it!

Did you say "Holiday begging?" or was that something else that you meant?

Well said Mr Robinson. Love this platform, I equally want to relocate to cape verde. But but base on the various articles read,there is much compilations.I think  i  truly need your assistance.And will love to have your contact number as well. Thanks

Hello, Greetings.

Am Ben by name, Please am planing on how to relocate to Cape Verde for a new live over but i don't no much about the country..
appreciate any advise on how to relocate.

Thank You.

BeNaZ101 wrote:

Hello, Greetings.

Am Ben by name, Please am planing on how to relocate to Cape Verde for a new live over but i don't no much about the country..
appreciate any advise on how to relocate.

Thank You.


Hi Ben. Why are you planning to start a new life by relocating to a country you know little about? Do some research (Google and Expat.com are your friends) before you end up making a very big life mistake.

Good day brother , my name is collins, i work wit a government organisation here in Nigeria, pls I wnt to get more information on how to host my holiday in CV. I'm getting married in the first quarter of next year, and I want to spend my honey moon in a Vry good beach environment. though I'm considering either to go to Europe but at d same tym , I'm weighing the cost, considering the dollar and the situation of the country. but evn at that I hv to do it, bcos it jst ones.  please I dnt know if you cn b of good assistance on how I will go abt d whole thing since in reside in CV . ***Thanks

Moderated by kenjee 5 years ago
Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on the public forum!

You need not much advice bro. Get your travel passport and yello card ready! Book your flight from lagos to Senegal and frim Senegal to Cape Verde. Just make your plans and Pack Up your belongings and hit the road to CV. All you need us your flight tickets to and fro and master or visa card for your spending. Or probably cash at hand, which ever way you want.
That's all.
And if you wanna go to Europe,  I guess you don't need advice as well,  just get your visa and pack up. I am no more in Cape Verde. I live in Gambia. Gambia also have great beach, all from the Atlantic Ocean, and great tourism and it would cost you less. Because it's a direct flight from Lagos or Abuja. Well make your decision i wish you all the best.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Alfred, i am thinking of relocating to CapeVerde and  i would like to have a lot more communication with you and to be guided before making the move since you have all the experiences. Please send me your WhatsApp contact via inbox here. Thank you

Hi, this is Joe. I might move to Cape Verde, but wanted to find out the current rental prices for apartments, for a one bedroom and a two bedroom, nothing over the top just a nice, clean, safe area near the university.  I am a black South Africa. have you met any South Africans living there? How much is public transport fair and is it easy to get to places around the city, transport wise.

Hi Joe,

We don't get many South Africans around these parts except for those who come to vacation on one of the touristic islands (Sal and Boavista) or for business, and mostly likely they did not come all the way from South Africa but probably from Europe where they may be living or working. The tourism statistics counted 168 South Africans arriving in Cape Verde in the first half of 2018, out of a total of over 400,000 foreign arrivals.

The reason that no South Africans live here unless they came to start a business on one of the touristic islands is because Cape Verde is a tiny, third-world, lacking in jobs, with a massively lower standard of living, and the official language is Portuguese.

Unless you are coming to start a business in Sal or Boavista, I cannot imagine why anyone would leave South Africa to live here. There are no university campuses on Sal (population 25,000) or Boavista (population 5,000). The only major university campus is in Praia (the capital) on the island of Santiago which is where half the population lives.

As far as rents go, you can get a nice 1 bedroom in a safe area in Praia for around $250 per month, and a 2 bedroom for about $300 per month. Public transport only exists here in the capital and a monthly pass is about $30 per month, and in Mindelo on the island of São Vicente (but you don't want to be in Mindelo ... unemployment rates border on 50-60%).

If you're interested in starting a business in Sal, let me know. The opportunities are very big there because tourism is booming (15-20% annual growth in tourist arrivals and most tourists are from Europe so they have excellent purchasing power). The opportunities are too long to list. Suffice it to say that the tourists are demanding all kinds of options for entertainment and dining services but the supply of such services just has not kept up. In fact, demand for tourism services overwhelmingly dominates the supply. So just about any tourist-focused business you start on Sal is likely to be a major success. It's hard to go wrong (but it can be a bit complicated to actual start the business because of government bureaucracy and language barriers).

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have more detailed questions just send me a private message. I would be happy to help.

Regards,

Angelo

akimbosho wrote:

Hi, this is Joe. I might move to Cape Verde, but wanted to find out the current rental prices for apartments, for a one bedroom and a two bedroom, nothing over the top just a nice, clean, safe area near the university.  I am a black South Africa. have you met any South Africans living there? How much is public transport fair and is it easy to get to places around the city, transport wise.

Hi Angelo, thank you for your kind response. In general South Africans have a stigma to travel africa, either than Mauritius or Namibia. Yes your country might be 3rd world, but I have seen images on Trip advisor and was impressed. Some countries in west Africa are far far worse. Am busy working on educational tourism, but it would be for the main island where the capital would be. The aim is to get students to not study in Europe or other continents but retain african citizens to study in Cape Verde, its paradise. Its very difficult for international students to get a Visa for South Africa.
South africa is highly developed, you could compare it to Australia, some of our architects is the best in the world. But none the less, its hard and highly competitive. Also African foreign students fear xenophobia which I think your country does not have. I do not know about racism there or race privilege in terms of discrimination.
On the issue of accomodation, the $300, is that US$300?  Are you aware of university tuition fees per year in US$? Please keep in touch on my whatsapp on ***
On tv, are there any English movie channels etc
Food costs, like groceries or a burger at a restaurant. To travel from the capital to Sal, what are the costs, just roughly.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi again, Joe

Yes, all the prices I've quote are in US dollars.

And, thanks for clarifying your objectives. Only thing I would advise is perhaps not to take the Trip Advisor pictures too generally. LOL. What you're seeing there are the pictures inside the hotels, and the beach shots. The beaches on Sal and Boavista are not found on any other islands (except Maio which has the most beautiful of all, but which is highly underdeveloped with no infrastructure, no hotels, nothing) and Mindelo which has only one nice beach.

You have a good idea regarding educational tourism. I've often wondered why Cape Verdean students who want to study abroad want only consider universities in Portugal. I've even worked to inform local students about the many quality universities that exist in African countries such as Ghana, Kenya, South Africa (which has the top universities in Africa), etc. The reason turns out to be quite simple. Cape Verdeans do not speak English. They speak and are educated only in Portuguese. A few do learn a little English and French which are options in high-school, but they never put it into practice so they quickly forget what they've learned.

Likewise, there are no foreign students who come from other African countries (or anywhere else for that matter) to study in Cape Verdean universities. There are 2 reasons for this: 1) The instruction is only in Portuguese so unless you are 100% fluent in Portuguese, it would be pointless in studying here; 2) the universities in Cape Verde do not appear even in the top 200 in Africa in terms of quality of education. So while you might try to market an education in CV to other African students, just be aware that there are those two barriers to the pitch.

Also, there are no university campuses in Sal or Boavista (which appear to be paradise lost on Trip Advisor) so when they get to Santiago, they may feel that they were mislead about studying in paradise. You'd probably have to say that they could spend their summers and other school holidays in Sal. There are daily flights between Praia (the capital) and Sal. The cost is about $150 for a return trip although there are sometimes promotional offers.

Costs for meals each month would probably run at around $200 for one person assuming they shop at the grocery store. If they were to eat out on a daily basis, it would cost about $10-12 per day.

By the way, the cost to attend the most expensive university here in Cape Verde is $150 per month (University of Jean Piaget which is private). The cheapest is $90 per month (at the University of Cape Verde which is the government run university). And most local students can barely even afford these tuition fees.

Regarding the other questions you asked: 1) there is not much racism here, but there are some pre-conceptions among Cape Verdeans themselves regarding skin-tone. It's a bit ignorant, but there are too many locals who believe they are Portuguese and not Africans (because of those stereo-types), but fortunately there is not the type of xenophobia which you were describing; 2) there are no English movies on local TV here because they don't speak the language...but you can get satellite service which will pull in dozens of English speaking channel.

Now if you do want to do some serious educational tourism, there is indeed one specific idea which i can share with you privately including an example of an island paradise in the Caribbean where it has been done successfully for decades. The same can be done here in Cape Verde on the island of Sal.

Joe, let's stay in touch in private. You probably should not leave any more of your private contact info on here, but I will make a note of your Whatsapp number.

Warm regards,

Angelo

akimbosho wrote:

Hi Angelo, thank you for your kind response. In general South Africans have a stigma to travel africa, either than Mauritius or Namibia. Yes your country might be 3rd world, but I have seen images on Trip advisor and was impressed. Some countries in west Africa are far far worse. Am busy working on educational tourism, but it would be for the main island where the capital would be. The aim is to get students to not study in Europe or other continents but retain african citizens to study in Cape Verde, its paradise. Its very difficult for international students to get a Visa for South Africa.
South africa is highly developed, you could compare it to Australia, some of our architects is the best in the world. But none the less, its hard and highly competitive. Also African foreign students fear xenophobia which I think your country does not have. I do not know about racism there or race privilege in terms of discrimination.
On the issue of accomodation, the $300, is that US$300?  Are you aware of university tuition fees per year in US$? Please keep in touch on my whatsapp on ***
On tv, are there any English movie channels etc
Food costs, like groceries or a burger at a restaurant. To travel from the capital to Sal, what are the costs, just roughly.

Hi Angelo, thank you so much for the info. Please do contact me then on whatsapp, if you do not mind.

Santiago island, is Praia developed? University of Jean Piaget, do they offer quality education? Is it modern buildings? This is good, cause then the government with educational tourism, they can make a lot, cause the price for an international student would be more. Also, to market the university regardless of it not being in the top 200, parents can be persuaded if the price is a bargain, it cuts costs. South Africa, students pay US$6000 a year, minimum for tuition. I see Tarrafal beach, it's not bad, our beach water here is dirty, no paradise. I see that there is Mc Donald in the capital, also a big shopping mall?

If students could get education cheap and accommodation cheap, it would be easy to persuade a parent for the student to study in CV. They will have extra pocket money, to spend and travel around the islands. In their respective countries it's still expensive to study.

Hi Joe,

I fully understand your intent. I've answered your questions below:

Santiago island, is Praia developed? It is the most developed of the towns anywhere in Cape Verde. However, it is nowhere near as developed as any of the capital cities in the major countries in Africa. I've been to Dakar, Lagos, Casablanca and have friends in Botswana, Zimbabwe, Accra, Namibia, Ghana, Uganda, Coite d'Ivoire...Praia is not up to the level of the capitals of those countries.

University of Jean Piaget, do they offer quality education? Is it modern buildings? The quality of education is as I said, below the top 200 in Africa. However, it is quite a decent level of education that at least gives the students a fighting chance at getting a job. Jean Piaget in particular has turned out many of the countries technology workers (they start software companies, or work with private companies as technical directors). There is also a hotel and tourism school with 9 month programs that provide diplomas to students for work in the tourism industry (table servers, tour guides, tourism agents, professional chefs, etc). The buildings at Jean Piaget are somewhat modern.

The price for an international student would be more. No. Under Cape Verdean law, there can be no discrimination in tuition prices at the local universities. Everyone pays the same tuition regardless of nationality.

Parents can be persuaded if the price is a bargain, it cuts costs. Yes, I agree. The annual cost here would probably not exceed $2,400 tuition, plus another $2,400 for rent, plus $1,800 for meals.

I see Tarrafal beach, it's not bad, our beach water here is dirty, no paradise. Yes, Tarrafal has a nice beach, but it does not compare to Sal, Boavista or Maio. It's definitely clean. Yet, it is a long way from the capital on the complete opposite end of the island of Santiago. Right in Praia there is a popular beach called Kebra Kanela which is where all the youth go on the weekends. It's within walking distance or a bus ride from everywhere in the capital.

Is there a McDonalds in the capital? No. There are no McDonalds, no Burger Kings, nor any international chains anywhere in Cape Verde. They are unheard of because Cape Verde does not have the supply chains to operate such brands. In addition, no average person in Cape Verde would pay the price of a McDonalds hamburger when a local hamburger, shwarma or large lunch with chicken/rice/vegetables would cost only $3. There would be too few clients for such chains to be profitable (however, there would be hundreds of thousands of tourists in Sal that may frequent a McDonalds in Sal, but there are no efficient supply chains to allow such a chain to operate even in Sal; you see, almost 80% of Cape Verde's food is imported from Europe).

Also a big shopping mall? There is only one shopping mall in the capital and it is probably the smallest mall you will ever see anywhere in the world. It has one classy restaurant, a food court with 5 outlets, about 20 shops, a cinema, a gym, and a grocery store. This mall is also located right at Kebra Kanela so, though small, it's popular with the youth as a hangout spot.

The place where your idea falls apart is that the students MUST BE FLUENT IN PORTUGUESE otherwise they will not be able to understand the classroom instruction, or do the assignments. So they will not get a degree/diploma as they will essentially fail. This is why i suggested to you that there is another way to achieve your objective in identical fashion that has been done in a Caribbean island that has a university for foreign students with all instruction in English, and it is internationally accredited. This would also be supported by the CV government and you will get tax incentives to do it.

If you wish to discuss that option, we can talk privately.

Regards,

Angelo

akimbosho wrote:

Hi Angelo, thank you so much for the info. Please do contact me then on whatsapp, if you do not mind.

Santiago island, is Praia developed? University of Jean Piaget, do they offer quality education? Is it modern buildings? This is good, cause then the government with educational tourism, they can make a lot, cause the price for an international student would be more. Also, to market the university regardless of it not being in the top 200, parents can be persuaded if the price is a bargain, it cuts costs. South Africa, students pay US$6000 a year, minimum for tuition. I see Tarrafal beach, it's not bad, our beach water here is dirty, no paradise. I see that there is Mc Donald in the capital, also a big shopping mall?

If students could get education cheap and accommodation cheap, it would be easy to persuade a parent for the student to study in CV. They will have extra pocket money, to spend and travel around the islands. In their respective countries it's still expensive to study.

Thank you so much for the response. there is what we call, code switching, where lectures teach in both languages. I saw that there is a campus in sao vicente mindelo for engineering and building faculty. Please feel free to whatsapp me or let me know if you would like my e-mail address rather. Mindalo is beautiful. Yes South africa is developed, but people here would do anything for a peaceful leasuly environment. You have a beautiful country, personally I would swap with anyone there. cause I gues coming from here, I see opportunities, too much competition in my country, there is just no space at all. Highly capitalist country, racist and xenophobic. Foreigners are being burnt to death and killed, but african foreigners. Its not safe for students at all. Read up on Xenophobia today in South africa, this week alone has been hell, for Somali and ethiopian street vendors. Its all over Johannesburg. Your country would be a safe haven for students, aside from the portuguese challenge.

Hi Joe,

It's good to get these questions here in the public forum as there are others who also would benefit from information about studying in Cape Verde.

So just to be clear, there is no code switching in Cape Verde. All lectures are in Portuguese and not in any other language. Thus all students must be fluent in Portuguese otherwise they will not even be able to register to attend the university. Again, I think you are failing to comprehend that Cape Verde is NOT an appropriate choice for students who cannot speak Portuguese. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to get a university degree here unless the student is fluent in Portuguese.

Mindelo is NOT a city where foreign student would want to attend school. It is a TINY city which extends just a few blocks, probably less than 10% of the size of Praia, and definitely not as developed. It is an entertainment, cultural and party town. Perfect for tourists who come for a short stay. But not for serious students. Most residents of Mindelo who wish to go to university attend the campuses in Santiago because there are few options in Mindelo and no campuses of any kind. Cost of living (room and board) is going to be quite a bit more expensive in Mindelo.

Once again, my advice would be as follows: The only practical option is to start your own English speaking private university here in Cape Verde (Sal or Santiago) ... which is the idea I mentioned  in each of my previous responses (and has been done in the Caribbean) ... and target foreign students with the marketing pitch of going to university in paradise. This will require an investment, but the government will support such an initiative and will provide incentives to make it attractive.

If that idea is something you would be interested in pursuing, I can help you think it through. Beyond that, there is no point in moving forward with your idea, unless you are going to focus on marketing to students from Angola, Mozambique, São Tome (Portuguese speaking African states), Portugal or Brazil.

Regards,

Angelo

akimbosho wrote:

Thank you so much for the response. there is what we call, code switching, where lectures teach in both languages. I saw that there is a campus in sao vicente mindelo for engineering and building faculty. Please feel free to Whatsapp me or let me know if you would like my e-mail address rather. Mindalo is beautiful. Yes South africa is developed, but people here would do anything for a peaceful leasuly environment. You have a beautiful country, personally I would swap with anyone there. cause I gues coming from here, I see opportunities, too much competition in my country, there is just no space at all. Highly capitalist country, racist and xenophobic. Foreigners are being burnt to death and killed, but african foreigners. Its not safe for students at all. Read up on Xenophobia today in South africa, this week alone has been hell, for Somali and ethiopian street vendors. Its all over Johannesburg. Your country would be a safe haven for students, aside from the portuguese challenge.

Thanks Mr. Alfred,you were really explicit in your description and explanation.I would love to come over you know.What is the smallest capital that one can come with to statrt business.One have to build from the scratch you know.Please can you what's app me on my number(***), so that we can discuss better.

Thanks

Isaiah

I can start a computer and phone accessories business in there.I am also musically inclined.We can organize music concert,event or play time for tourists.Do what's app me*** so we can plan things out right away.

Isaiah

Hello Isaiah,

There is no legal minimum capital required to register a business in Cape Verde. You will need to pay about €250 in fees to register your business.

Certainly, from the standpoint of how much money you will need to launch and operate a business, it will all depend on the nature of the business you wish to start. The best businesses to invest in in Cape Verde are in the tourism sector. You can probably start with as little as €25.000 and go up from there. A nice bar-restaurant from scratch including construction will probably require about €150.000 and up.

You should not attempt to do it all yourself as there are many licenses you will require and you will also need to deal with reputable, trustworthy suppliers of products and services. It is easy for a foreigner to be scammed unless they know what they are doing. In addition, there is the Portuguese language barrier. Everything must be done in this language. If you are not fluent in that language, you will not get anything done.

I would recommend that you engage a professional (who has excellent references and who is knowledgeable about Cape Verde's economic sectors) to help you. If you need to chat, please send me a private message.

Regards,

Angelo

P.S. You should NEVER publicize your personal contact information on the public forums. I guarantee you that you will now be contacted by one or more scam artists who roam the forums. Do not accept any request to help by anyone who contacts you. They will quickly relieve you of your money with convincing promises to help you! You should edit your post at once.

isaiah60 wrote:

Thanks Mr. Alfred,you were really explicit in your description and explanation.I would love to come over you know.What is the smallest capital that one can come with to statrt business.One have to build from the scratch you know.Please can you what's app me on my number(REMOVED), so that we can discuss better.

Thanks

Isaiah

Hello Angelo

I have followed some of your posts, i find them quite informative and interesting. Kudos!

I would like to consider run an IT training project for secondary school kids, and would like to sound you out on a few issues. I will drop you a private message.

Thanks

i want to visit cape verde, i need some informations because the agent in nigeria told me that i have to pay 100000 naira and i will choose to travel by air or by land.... but i had you saying in your acticle that there is certain amount one must pay in immigration before they allow you inn... so i want you to help me over there since your already there.. this is my email..... [email protected]

please my brother help me, i want to come to cape  verde through you...

You do not need to pay anything in immigration if you are from Nigeria. You just need to prove that you have enough money to pay for your time in Cabo Verde.

emynewman wrote:

i want to visit cape verde, i need some informations because the agent in nigeria told me that i have to pay 100000 naira and i will choose to travel by air or by land.... but i had you saying in your acticle that there is certain amount one must pay in immigration before they allow you inn... so i want you to help me over there since your already there.. this is my email..... [email protected]

Here is information about an eGuide that could be helpful to anyone looking to relocate to Cape Verde and who wants to find a job or start a business. The guide has 28-pages about living and working in CV.

Angelo

Dear Angelo,

I am planning to relocate to Cape Verde, Santiago Island in the future and have seen you have a guide. Is it up to date? I am asking because I read most of the comments in this forum and they are from 2015 mostly.

I am doing my research on CV atm. My partner and I only planning to move in about 2 years so you can see I take research very seriously. Cape Verde seems like a very good option at the moment because it's relatively close to Europe, the time zone is ok for me, and the whether is really nice throughout the year.

Of course, those things are not enough to make a living. I will work remotely as a UX/UI designer and one of the most important things for me is the fast internet connection. Without a good connection, there is no way for me to do my job. I read your comment about the topic and you mentioned that it's very bad (that was in 2015) and I also read some forums on TripAdvisor and they said that's not true and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know what to believe now.

Could you please give me some info about the topic?

Thanks

Hi Kate,

It's excellent that you are doing your research. This is absolutely necessary because it's usually a disaster when people relocate without doing their homework, or just based on a vacation experience.

The CV forum has been going for years and I am the most active resource. There are also many comments from 2019, even this week I have been answering various questions from members about CV. And my guide is certainly up-to-date. The last update was done in November of 2018 which is just 6 months ago. I update it frequently whenever something changes. But things don't change too quickly in CV. It takes years for anything major to change. If you want the guide, please chat with me via email first.

Yes I did say that the internet speeds were horrible back in 2015 because that was the fact. Put it this way, Cape Verde is still on 3G networks and is only now getting 4G. If you were making a lot of VOiP calls back then, such as Whatsapp, the upload speeds were dreadful so you could hear the other person really well but they could only hear you with a long delay or not at all. Not at all acceptable for business!

However, today in mid 2019, there are now faster options for internet in the home/office including much, much faster options than what were available back in 2015. And the prices have come way down.

Here is >>a list of the speeds now available from Unitel<<, including the monthly prices. The other provider, Telecom, offers pretty much the same.

So now there is no longer a big problem with internet service, although depending on the type of business services you perform, some people might still find these speeds a bit challenging.

Hope this is helpful,

Best regards,

Angelo

KateUX wrote:

Dear Angelo,

I am planning to relocate to Cape Verde, Santiago Island in the future and have seen you have a guide. Is it up to date? I am asking because I read most of the comments in this forum and they are from 2015 mostly.

I am doing my research on CV atm. My partner and I only planning to move in about 2 years so you can see I take research very seriously. Cape Verde seems like a very good option at the moment because it's relatively close to Europe, the time zone is ok for me, and the whether is really nice throughout the year.

Of course, those things are not enough to make a living. I will work remotely as a UX/UI designer and one of the most important things for me is the fast internet connection. Without a good connection, there is no way for me to do my job. I read your comment about the topic and you mentioned that it's very bad (that was in 2015) and I also read some forums on TripAdvisor and they said that's not true and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know what to believe now.

Could you please give me some info about the topic?

Thanks

Thanks, Angelo that was all very helpful. I'll send you an email soon about the guide.

Hello, I am from Nigeria planning to study in Cape Verde on scholarship which include language study for first 4months.
Please, can stipends of 250 Euro covers my monthly accommodation and living expenses in Cape Verde.
Also, if I'm able to communicate their language, will I get a part time job with very nice pay? 

Thanks

Hi Herfeez,

The official language is Portuguese. Four months of language study will not allow you to have even basic communication skills, and would certainly NOT be sufficient to attend classes here. It probably takes at least 12-18 months to learn basic communication skills in Portuguese. And even so, I doubt you would be able to succeed in classes at the University level. You will need to be FLUENT in Portuguese.

You cannot live here on just €250 per month. Your housing alone (excluding utilities and internet) will be about €200 unless you share with someone. Food will be at least another €150-200. Utilities for a small apartment will run you about €50 (if you have appliances). Unlimited internet is €60 but you can get a monthly plan of 5GB data plus unlimited calls for €10. Public transport is €25 for a monthly bus pass. You can survive at a basic level on €600 a month (no entertainment or dinners out). At €800 a month, you can do quite well.

There are very few jobs in Cape Verde. Unemployment is high. Most university graduates remain jobless for long periods of time. The average university graduate who finds a job will probably earn about €250 to start. The typical employed worker with no university degree earns about €150 per month.

The chances for finding a job with English speaking skills would mean that you have to locate in Sal or Boavista where 90% of European tourists spend their vacation. The jobs are obviously in the tourism sector.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Angelo

Herfeez wrote:

Hello, I am from Nigeria planning to study in Cape Verde on scholarship which include language study for first 4months.
Please, can stipends of 250 Euro covers my monthly accommodation and living expenses in Cape Verde.
Also, if I'm able to communicate their language, will I get a part time job with very nice pay? 

Thanks

Most of these posts has been since 2011 , 2012 & 2013. Please I will like an information on Cape Verde as of today 26th September 2019 for someone intending to come to Cape Verde.  Please I will appreciate it. Thank you.