New in the Phiippines

Hi Everyone.

I moved to Manila in September last year. I have to admit I had some difficulty adjusting to the hot, humid weather, time differences, etc. I also felt a bit lonely for a while because locals were battling to understand my accent but everntually, I have learnt to adjust the way I speak so we can understand each other. It's not perfect but I'm getting there. Haha.

I have become very good friends with a Filipina here. She really has been a blessing to me. She has taught me how to deal with the taxi drivers, told me the no-go zones, shown me awesome places to go outside the NCR and even a little bit of Tagalog :)

I was reading through the forums now and I would love to get to know more people.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

:top:

Welcome to the Philippines! Hope you're having a good time :)

Hey there! same here would love to know more people here as well! :)

Have a nice day!!

Hi ekdbr.

Thank you and I most definitely am.

Resuri Ann, what area are you staying in?

Hope you have a great day too :D

Im staying outside Manila (I stay with my family since I get homesick easily) hahahaha but I work in Makati :) How about you?

Hi Lynsey,

I'm living in Mandaluyong with my husband.  I've been here since January and like you, would love to meet some new people.  Where are you staying?

Hi Krista.

I stay in Paranaque but wind up spending most of my time in Makati. Hehe.

Resuri,
Yes. I also miss my family a lot from time to time. You're very lucky to have yours here.

Hopefully, maybe we can all meet up some day.

Sure! Im free on Fridays and Saturdays! :) We can hang-out then! :)

Hello Everyone!

I'm Maitta and I work in Makati too! :)
Sometimes I would like to have a nice chat or drink with people so maybe if you guys are free we can have dinner or do something near Makati area :)

Thanks,

Maitta

Hello Maitta!

Lets go out then as a group that'll be really fun!

Regards,
Resuri

lets go.. contact me.. 09262271607 tnx

Lynsey welcome to the forum as well as our country!!!thats a good start and hope you'll enjoy and get to know more friends here.
:)

Welcome to the Phils.!!!! it will be a hell of an adventure there!!!:cool:

Welcome to the Philippines!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

yes i understand..very much....talking with someone who dosnt really speak English is useless..thinking they understand u and find that they have no freaking idea what u said..hehe, also its hard to adjust to the culture and how they simply do things..i created a website that help ppl like us..cuz i need some mind active thinking...www.go-philippines.spruz.com ..everyday i get lonely for my home..USA, and miss the food and the american way..but i know in time i be adjusted the pinoy way, and if i dont... its OK, cuz the fact is I am AMERICAN,...

@mike: hope you really understand what you were saying. the fact that you decided to live in non-english country, therefore expect that not all people will understand you very well, isnt that obvious? otherwise find a way to learn their native language so you'll understand them and so are they.

Mike, I have to say that I am a little offended by your comments.  As expats, we have made a choice to come to this country and therefore, we need to adapt to the ways of life here.  Personally, I admire the fact that Filipinos are so friendly and welcoming.  I know it isn't easy for some of them to speak to us foreigners, and I really appreciate the fact that they try!  As for the food, I really don't find there is much of a difference between a supermarket here and a supermarket at home.  But putting that aside, Filipino food is delicious, have you tried it? ;)

Krista wrote:

Mike, I have to say that I am a little offended by your comments.  As expats, we have made a choice to come to this country and therefore, we need to adapt to the ways of life here.  Personally, I admire the fact that Filipinos are so friendly and welcoming.  I know it isn't easy for some of them to speak to us foreigners, and I really appreciate the fact that they try!  As for the food, I really don't find there is much of a difference between a supermarket here and a supermarket at home.  But putting that aside, Filipino food is delicious, have you tried it? ;)

@Krista: very well said. Enjoy your stay here in Philippines. :)

Hi to all the beautiful ppl in this forum,jst join & still new,1st intro,name John Wong,status married to a lovely & wonderful filipina,we hv a daughter 5 yrs old,planning to retire in the philippines few more years,currently residing & working in Brunei.
Its a great forum & hope to hear frm u guys soon!!! Mabuhay & Salamat;P

welcome to the Philippines! =)

Krista..please dont be offended what i said....but the facts is that most Pinoys dont speak English everyday basis and finds it hard to communicate in English, and its not true of welcoming arms to foreigners in the Philippines, yes many Pinoys are friendly but some are jealous and hateful to foreigners, and if there are welcoming ..mostly cuz they want to do business with us....PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT SIDE OF THE WORLD YOU LIVE ....and the food is not good..except the native fruits and vegs, Pork is bad for the health, the diet of a pinoy is not healthy and not exposing the body of sun leads to bad health. The Philippines is a great country, but in fact it is very dangerous..its a 3rd world country and many of millions are poor and the ones that are working make less than $10 a day. Dont be fooled by the big malls, next time your in Manila go on the streets at night and many holding there hands out hoping for a meal. And maybe that 20p bill can make a poor child with a smile,  dont be offended what i comments i make but be offended but the little pinoys do without everyday

@ mike... we respect everyones opinions here coz its their opinion.... now, people who flew here once in a while maybe find themselves at home or adapted to the culture and people having a simple life. Whatever their personal reason for visiting. They get attached to some people whom they met. But not most people get those same reasons to come back again like the others. What I can say is... we never INSISTED on you guys to visit here and stay for long...  we never drag you here and tell you we have big malls!!!

Yes you are right... we are a third world country and we are poor. I bet Krista knows this also... not only Krista... I bet the whole world knows this...so dont expect much!!!

cheers!!!

mikenm2012 wrote:

Krista..please dont be offended what i said....but the facts is that most Pinoys dont speak English everyday basis and finds it hard to communicate in English,

Common sense! Filipinos has their own national language and so as your country! Just a piece of advice,if you find it hard to communicate in a language other than english or you can't adapt to learn other language other than english so you better not leave your country! In our world, there are 7 continents and out of that 7 continents, 2 continents are part of America. Assuming all countries in those two continents are english speaking, still five continents are not. The world is not America, it is just a part of it!

mikenm2012 wrote:

and its not true of welcoming arms to foreigners in the Philippines, yes many Pinoys are friendly but some are jealous and hateful to foreigners, and if there are welcoming ..mostly cuz they want to do business with us....PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT SIDE OF THE WORLD YOU LIVE ....

With such arrogance you showed!!! yeah for sure they will hate foreigners.

YOU reap what you sow!

mikenm2012 wrote:

and the food is not good..except the native fruits and vegs, Pork is bad for the health, the diet of a pinoy is not healthy and not exposing the body of sun leads to bad health

There is some truth about it. Jumping into a generalization from a simple thought ONLY makes you an IGNORANT ONE.

mikenm2012 wrote:

The Philippines is a great country, but in fact it is very dangerous..its a 3rd world country and many of millions are poor and the ones that are working make less than $10 a day. Dont be fooled by the big malls, next time your in Manila go on the streets at night and many holding there hands out hoping for a meal. And maybe that 20p bill can make a poor child with a smile,  dont be offended what i comments i make but be offended but the little pinoys do without everyday

Danger exist anywhere as well as the touch of poverty even in your precious country! Its really sad to know that in every society, there are always lower class but the question is how big  the percentage is in relation to the middle and upper class. is it just a triangle or inverted one?

Let me remind you that most of your people are also now seeking jobs abroad (and maybe you are one of those) - meaning your rich country is not that rich anymore that's why your own people are now seeking job opportunities abroad.

@ seeker ---   LIKE --- chillax men..... dont level down....

@ Mike there are so many things I could say to you, but they will probably all make me look bad.  I do however, think you should choose your words wisely because it is clear that I'm not the only one you have offended here!

Krista wrote:

@ Mike there are so many things I could say to you, but they will probably all make me look bad.  I do however, think you should choose your words wisely because it is clear that I'm not the only one you have offended here!

Hi krista, i apologize if that is the implication of some comments posted in this thread to you. Actually, we are free to express our thoughts and opinions here, whether is it positive or negative. So please feel free to express your own opinion. Please dont bear the misconception that many will make you look bad if you tell the truth. my only concern is, mr. mike just crossed the line so there should be someone to  remind him that he is out of his line. just like u said he must choose his words wisely.
there are many ways to express his disappoinment but he can choose a better way.
Most of ideas, informations expressed here are merely based on our own experiences so its basically our own point of view.
Please feel free to express yourself. Again, i do apologize for such circumstances that had caused you.

Could we please calm down & avoid personal attacks?

Thanks,
Harmonie.

@ seeker of truth my comment above was in no way directed at you! I completely agree with everything you said.  I think it's unfortunate that someone would choose to express their opinions in such a way that they generalize a whole group of people! It's not right, and it gives expats who really do enjoy the people and culture here a bad rep.

Thanks for your warm welcome btw! :)

thank you all...you are all right in the replies to my comments, and it is easy to get around the phi cuz of the signs in english and most understand english...but remember that i am american and coming to the Manial phi and living here over a one year takes a lot of patience and adjusting. I am came to the phi do be with the person i fell in love with, i have many friends here ..foreigners and pinoys, and have been married to a Filipino for over 20years, and even pinoy that come to america have a hard time adjusting to american ways, and also complain about how we are... thanks for your replpies and as they say in Philippines..Salamat Po..

to seeker of truth..my comments where not to you ,,it was a reply to another. and the truth is the USA is been helping the Philippines, South Korea, to be the country that they are now..good and bad.. we spend lots of American tax payers money and ...Americans loosing there jobs to out sourcing to other countries (Phi), yes our country is indeed in trouble, but we always find ways to help others (Phi)..
NOW...Thats the American way!

Krista wrote:

@ seeker of truth my comment above was in no way directed at you! I completely agree with everything you said.  I think it's unfortunate that someone would choose to express their opinions in such a way that they generalize a whole group of people! It's not right, and it gives expats who really do enjoy the people and culture here a bad rep.

Thanks for your warm welcome btw! :)

@krista: Thank you for your understanding! :)
Just feel free and feel at home, remember you are in a democratic country!:D

@mikenm2012: i guess i understand now where your disappointments were coming from. Someday, I hope you'll get over it. About Philippines and America issue, i'll let President Aquino and President Obama to deal with it. :lol:

Just a simple request, please try to provide more of a constructive criticism. It might help more people or who knows even change their lives.

Guys, Enjoy your stay even you are not.:D 
Remember, you always have choice so always choose to be happy!!!
Good Luck!!! :)

All I can say is that I AM PROUD TO BE A FILIPINO! And I know how to speak and write english properly the way it should be. LOL Need I say more? *winks*

To all the newbies in the Philippines, explore and discover the beauty of our country and its people.

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me :D I never intended for this thread to get so many replies or for any adversity. I think that what needs to be remembered is that if you choose to live in or visit a different country , you need to expect and accept different cultures, languages, food and people. You need to adapt. There will always be the good, the bad and the ugly amongst all nationalities and all countries. That's the adventure.

Hope you all have a good weekend and lots of love and light to you all.

Back to the topic... I am an American expat living in Makati now and I'd be very interested in meeting new people and fellow expats. Maybe a group meeting in Greenbelt for happy hour or something would sound like fun.

PS: I am all-American and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to assimilate to the Filipino culture. I don't have much of a problem communicating with the locals and I feel quite safe here... I just finished a brisk 1 hour walk at midnight. You just have to use some common sense and realize you are not in America anymore; things are different here and it's up to you to make the best of your situation.

hi.. im cris 41 male n mla.. if you're interested..kontak me.      0 9 0 8 2 3 3 0 7 7 1

chris_71 wrote:

hi.. im cris 41 male n mla.. if you're interested..kontak me.      0 9 0 8 2 3 3 0 7 7 1

lol

Hi everyone,

My name is Faye,from China.I am new in Manila,staying in Madaluyong. Me and my group members have started the business in Phllippines for few month. I don't know too many people in Ph,so a bit hard to start up. Luckily, I found this website through google and hope to make more local friends here.

Any of you like to chat with me,please follow my msg~Thanks!!

Cheers:P

Hi Faye.. welcome to xpat and most of all welcome to Manila... hope your having a good time here...