Chance to find unqualified work with average English & for what money?

Hello everybody from Bulgaria.I am also  interested in moving to Malta with my family.I want to ask you what is the chance to find unqualified work with average English and for what money will it be?Thank you very much

Hi Vladimir,

welcome to the forum.

I'll be honest. The chances are very low that you will find unqualified work for non-EU citizens in Malta. You need a work permit that is subject to market conditions. That means that your potential future employer can't find anybody else to do the work. That means that the salary will be around or lower than the minimal wage of around 700 €/month.The average wage is around 1100 €/month but is still not enough for a decent life.

Average English is what some Maltese workers offer but they also offer fluent Maltese which is usually required when dealing with Maltese.

Sorry I can't offer anything more positiv.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for the information,I don't know if there is any difference but Bulgaria is in EU and I am an EU-citizen.
Thanks again

Hi Vladimir,

yes, Bulgaria is a member of the EU but sadly the European job market is not completely open to Bulgarian and Romanian citizens.  For the moment a work permit is still needed! And the work permit is the same as for non-EU citizens except that it is slightly cheaper. I'm not aware of any date when this limitation will fall.

But apart from that the problem is still the fact that you are seeking unqualified work with average English. And you asked about the chance of finding those kind of jobs and the possible pay.

What work are you doing at the moment ? Maybe you have some work experience that could help you find a job in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

I had worked as a sales person in shops for clothes and souvenirs.I can work as a cleaner in hotels,kitchens,laborer in construction sites.maybe driver...

Hi Vladimir,

sales persons in Malta have to be able to speak Maltese which hardly any Expats can offer. Your present job experience probably won't help that much here in Malta.

My advice is to check out the job offers with ETC (job agency) and apply with your details and CV to any job that might fit.

The construction industry is down-sizing and the tourist numbers are falling too but I wish you luck with your search.

Check out the cost of living in Malta especially as you want to come to Malta with family.

Cheers
Ricky

What can you say about sales person promoter-selling tickets for tours and cruises.Is this kind of job good?

no

Why?Can you tell me something more,because I have proposition about this kind of job.Min. salary 155 euro per week.The firm is Kollections Booking Office in Sliema.
Thanks

Hi Vladimir,

That salary is too much to die on and too little to live off !

Selling tickets can be on commission only or with a low hourly salary plus a small commission. You will have to pay your NI contributions plus tax if you manage to earn more than the tax-free limit. The job is also very seasonal and in the winter it is very difficult to make any sales.

The competition between the sales persons and the different companies is immense and you still have the work permit problem. The ticket company will have to apply for a work permit for you which they won't like because of the hassle.

With a family you will need to earn a yearly salary of around 14000€ or more to survive in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you very much,you have been very helpful

well put Ricky...and i agree 100%

Hi Vladimirdv, a new thread has been created on Malta forum.;)

Harmonie.

That salary is too much to die on and too little to live off !

You make me smile Ricky! You say things how they are! This forum would be lost without you. Im gonna have to make one of the expats meetings one of these days and buy you a cisk!!

Thanks for starting a new thread Harmonie. I'm sure this will a very active one too.

Hi Damsel ,I just translated an old German saying ' zum Sterben zuviel und zum Leben zuwenig' into English. What is the equivalent English saying? I've been thinking and thinking and ....

I look forward to seeing you at one of our Expat meetings , not just because of the Cisk -)))

Cheers
Ricky

I Googled 'too much to die on and too little to live off' (in English) and it came up with some very interesting results!;)

ricky wrote:

Hi Damsel ,I just translated an old German saying ' zum Sterben zuviel und zum Leben zuwenig' into English. What is the equivalent English saying? I've been thinking and thinking and ....

life's a *****, and then you die

only two cerainties in life taxes and death.