Moving to Ecuador...Learning Spanish...Selling Everything

This morning I woke up saying “Buenos dias” to myself and “Como estas”?  And my answer was “Me siento bien” (I feel good).  Waking up and speaking Spanish is a pretty good sign that I am learning this new language. Albeit slowly, learning is learning. Still half asleep, I went through all the greetings I already know.  Hola (Hello),  que tal  (how is it going?),  como estas  (how are you?),  and then the answers like  bien (well),  muy bien (very well),  mal (not good),  asi asi (so, so)  and then my favorite,  estupendo (great).

Walking thru the cocina I notice the $150 in cash on la mesa. Mi amiga Patti paid me that dinero yesterday for my almost new Keggerator. When a man sells his custom refrigerator that holds 15.5 gallons of his favorite cervesa, you know he is serious about moving to Ecuador!  (It was actually pretty easy now that I have stopped drinking, but for this story, I was heart broken).

Selling almost everything we own is probably the most difficult thing I will do over the next 12 months. Not because I am overly attached to anything but because the process is so revealing.  A lifetime of accumulating treasures reduced to 20 cents on the dollar, things that I once held dear, no longer have the value I once placed on them…

It is interesting to see how my possessions have taken me hostage in a way. At what time in my life did that happen?

So this is what I am striving for. My possessions reduced to a suitcase and a carry on. To be at home and comfortable in my own skin, with just the air in my lungs and the longing for new places and new experiences. I still have a long way to go but I feel that I'm at least on the right path.

This quote motivates me daily… it is currently my favorite.

“Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese

Yes !!! I salute your decision and your actions. About 2 weeks left before departure, and selling the remaining items, I am already feeling the wind beneath my wings and anxious for D day to arrive! Did you say 20 cents on the dollar? You're doing good, some of my things got me 10 and some will get me 0. Every time an item is sold, I feel more free. Getting closer to the beginning of a new life is a wonderful feeling of ...liberation and anticipation. Keep up the good work. Mitri

Hi Mitri,

I am so excited for you... 2 weeks away. We are a little farther off but that is ok. Our home is on the market as are a couple of other properties. We had our first showing today so we took the dogs out for an hour walk. It gets very real when the for sale sign goes up in the front yard and your stuff starts being sold off piece by piece. A little scary but mostly liberating.

I hope you will stay in touch. I figure that between my blog and some of the articles I am writing, I might have some friends in Ecuador before I ever move there. Good luck and I will talk with you again soon.

George (EcuadorGeorge to my friends)

p.s. A piece of art that I received as a gift 20 years ago and had a price tag of $40 on turns out to be worth $800. I will probably just sell it to a dealer for $400. Now that is what I call a surprise... All my other stuff is slowly going out the door. Just sold a mattress for $100 today and my sister came and got her stuff so I have a completely empty bedroom downstairs.... yippee! Take care...

You all sound like you are having way too much fun! :)

Our house in Edmonton has finally sold and our new house in Cuenca is ready for us. We have sold everything but people have been nice enough to let us keep it until we go. As it is though I am using my piano stool at my computer desk because there are no more chairs left.

We had two garage sales. The first was almost a disaster as we had 4" of snow on the Friday before. People came on the Saturday and we did well but Sunday was too cold and windy and few people came. The second one we had, only because the first was a wash-out, saw a few people on the Saturday but another 4" of snow made Sunday a complete loss. We didn't even open the garage door!

We expect our police reports back from the consulate today but we are still bogged down with trying to work out how we get the dogs to Ecuador with us. The list of stuff we are shipping is probably going to be a nightmare as well. All of it has to go to the consulate and timeframes are very short. For the dogs we have to get it all done in the 10 days before we arrive in Ecuador.

The movers come on April 23rd, we're officially out of the house on the 26th, we fly to Quito on May 1st, and will be in Cuenca on the 2nd. Time is short but we are getting very excited.

All the best to everyone on their moves and maybe we'll see you in Cuenca.

Cheryn and Bruce

My husband and I are doing the same thing as I type.  House just sold, cars too, and most of our belongings are on their way out the door at garage sale prices.  Walking out with just our suitcases.  Mayabe a couple of boxes in storage back here in Ontario, but not likely.  Isn't it exciting!  We too have started Spanish lessons.  I don't find it hard to get rid of possessions, the memories I will always keep, and they are PRICELESS.  Touching down in Ecuador on July 4th and can't wait!  Let's talk again
Jill and Sy

Hi Cheryn & Bruce,
You mention that you have to give the list of stuff you are shipping to the consulate. When we did that a week ago, they did not want it. They said we will need it only in Ecuador when we apply for the residents' visa. So they just authenticated the police report and told us we could have it translated (from French) in Ecuador. Do you already have your resident's visa? Mitri

Hi again Cheryn and Bruce,
I just realised your house in Cuenca is ready. Congratulations! Did you have it built? Was it hard to find and architect/contractor? Tell me it is an earth-house! I love these! Mitri

Hi Mitri and Edith,

We are still in Edmonton. We have had our police reports approved by the consulate. They will be translated into Spanish once we are in Ecuador.

We bought our house when it was under construction. We were lucky to get it as another couple (Ecudorian) also wanted it. Luckily we were able to hold it with $1,000 which we had to get out of the ATM $300 at a time. Once we got back to Edmonton we wired the rest of the money to our lawyer in Cuenca and she handled everything else.

We don't have our resident visas yet as our lawyer told us she could not start the process until we were in Ecuador. We're not sure why except she needs to send in the police reports with the application.

Thanks for the information about the belongings lists. We will confirm that with our lawyer and our movers. It will sure make it easier. Getting it all done after we leave our house here (April 26) and before we leave for Ecuador (May 1) was going to be very difficult.

At least we have most of the requirements for the dogs sorted out. We have to get the veterinarian certificates approved by the consulate in the 10 days before we arrive in Ecuador. We have to check 3 days before our flights whether the dogs can get on the same flights. We also have to take the dogs to the cargo people the day before we leave to do all the paperwork. On the actual day we leave we have to check our bags at 4:00 am, then take the dogs to the cargo people at 5:00 am, and be back to catch the flight at 6:30 am. Whew!

We're getting very excited.

Cheryn and Bruce

Our plan is to leave with two suitcases each and that is all. Rent a furnished apartment and then just take a deep breath. Traveling to the coast and then to Peru, Brazil, and Uruguay. I can not tell you how I long to walk across town just to have a nice coffee and read the paper. We will realize out dream soon enough. Now is the hard work that will lead us home.... See all of you there.

You are bringing a lot more stuff than we do. Hoping this can reduce the stress while packing, here is what we did. We had assembled everything in the same room and set up a table for the packers to work on, then I set things by groups and took a picture of every table-full. As they were packing, I was making note of the contents of the box. When a box was filled, they would give me the number assigned to it so I could mark my list. Once they were gone, I made a new list by box number, using the pictures to help remember the details of the contents, assigned a value later to be used for customs and insurance. Then the list was translated into Spanish (that was Edith's job). In our case, we wanted to limit the shipment to 150 Kgs...naturally it ended up being 550 kgs :) so it will have to go by sea rather than by air. Good luck on D day!

George, I share your feelings...walking to the café and reading the newspaper while enjoying croissants and coffee...I can't wait!

"Great minds think alike" - we too have put everything into one room. I created detailed lists as I packed so I know what is in each box. Cheryn didn't though and so I have some blank lists on which she can write down her stuff as it is packed. I love your idea of photographing everything and will certainly remember to do so myself. We have about 700 Kgs total and are doing our best to stop it from growing as we come across more stuff "we didn't know we had" :/

I am soooo excited for all of you who are so close to seeing your dreams come to fruition!!!! I am taking care of my 87 year old dad who is on oxygen 100% of the time and still smoking 1 1/2 packs a day (I am a non-smoker!!). BTW, he doesn't smoke while on the O2! I will be free to leave.... after he does....so I have no idea when that will be. I have done my research, set my intentions, and am starting a Spainsh class. Pleae keep learning and sharing as I benefit greatly from it as well as live vicariously through it!!!

Kimberly

Finally the date is set! The tickets are bought and we know where we are staying in Quito. We rented the newly renovated and furnished apartment that Epsen had been setting up in the central area and we are anxious to wake up in Quito on April 23rd. We intend to spend at least 8-9 days exploring Quito and surroundings then do about the same in Cuenca. If we find it is not enough time, we will adjust accordingly. I'll keep you posted (still have some furniture left to sell).

Mitri and Edith,

Good luck and all the best! Maybe our paths will cross in Cuenca.