Just Arrived in Singapore

Hi All,
I arrved in Singapore two weeks ago, still living in hotel , hopefully will move to my place in 2nd week of April, I am Pakistani national , lived 13 years in DUBAI....

Looking forward to meet new people ...

Welcome to Singapore. Hope you enjoy your stay

JustDK wrote:

Welcome to Singapore. Hope you enjoy your stay

Thanks JDK, Yes i am enjoying my stay in Singapore, i love rain and getting it every day:) , people are much nicer and friendly here, food is abundent , only one thing is bothering me --- Prices of cars, too expensive as comapred to Dubai.

What do you do? what are your interest?

Price of cars here are ridiculous... Just take a cab unless your company decide to subsidise a car for you...

I am just another office slave. Lol..

What about u? which MNC u working for?

JustDK wrote:

Price of cars here are ridiculous... Just take a cab unless your company decide to subsidise a car for you...

I am just another office slave. Lol..

What about u? which MNC u working for?

Lolzzzzzzzzz, no worries, you will be fine, Yeah, i am thinking on this line... cause i will be travelling most of the time, i dont needs to go to office every day, i will take car allownce instead of getting an old company car :)
I am working for Schlumberger (Oil and Gas).

I have been to CQ many time, Marina where i will be living but do you know any other cool hang out place with some live music :)
still exploring------and i really wants to make local people friends, dont want to stuck with Expat community , have done it in Dubai..dont wana do that again.

Live music?
Try st james...  have all the different type of genre, latin, hip hop and pop and chinese.
Local singing english songs, chill out and relax. Timbre @ old school, asian museum or the other branch at fort canning that side.
Clubbing hot spots: Filter, Avalon, Zouk

Where the real locals hang out spots...
Boat Quay area, the street behind the "river" area, it is a ktv pub place where locals hang and sing (mostly chinese and canto songs)
Thai Disco which is kind of a fad thing now, they sing english and thai songs. Depends on what kind of fun you want you go to the different disco for it. There is the cleaner one and the less cleaner ones.

Just Pm me if you want to hang, I will be out this Thursday. Should be heading to drink.

Hi. I'm Ysa, also a newbie here in Singapore.  Just been here for almost 3 months.  Hope you won't have a hard time adjusting to the lifestyle here in Singapore.  Good luck.

Welcome!! :)

No offence to JustDK, but I don't like St James, it's always packed with quite an uncouth crowd :( I LOVE Timbre for its live music; the bands there are superb and drinks and food are good too. :)

As for Thai discos, it isn't exactly a fad because A LOT of youths have taken to them :) I know this because my peers and I are all in our early 20s or late teens! Club Nana is a popular one.

If you want to meet locals, try the heartland food areas, like Chomp Chomp food centre at Serangoon Gardens. And actually the town area (e.g. Orchard, Bugis, Somerset) are just teeming with locals!! We love shopping :D Even though there are expats there too, you are sure to rub shoulders with tons of Singaporeans.

I also just arrived. 15th June.
Still looking for opportunities.

Hi Tariq,

I hope if you can help me by giving some information. I'm from Karachi and Im a Graphic designer. I'm in a interview process with a potential employer in Singapore. I need to know;

1. I was checking my assessment on MOM site if I qualify for EP..so there was a tab regarding salary (which salary they are asking there?..the salary the potential is gonna offer me?..I didnt get that)

2. What educational/job or anyother documents should I keep ready with myself which would be needed by the employer or the MOM?
And do I need to just certify them from civic centre?..I mean would that be enough the notarized attestation? or that's not an issue?

3. Please also tell that does it make any difference to my potential employer If I qualify for just S pass and not EP?..wouldnt that be depending on the salary package they'll be offering me?

4. My passport is gonna expire in 7 months...so should I get it renewal ASAP?..I'm not giving it for renewal yet bcz Im expecting my potential employer would be needing it anytime sooner...if I give it for renewal so I wont be getting it b4 3 weeks and I dont want to lose the chance. And I cant even ask them how soon they will take the decision..you know :(

Please help in this regard.

Thanks.

Hi Laiba,

1. Enter the salary you will be earning in Singapore.
2. You need all your educational certificates and other documents in original. They will tell you if certified copies are needed, which you can get then.
3. The employer has to pay a levy (and is subject to quotas) for S-Pass, but not for EP. They can specify, in the application, whether they would accept both or only EP. In the latter case, if you only qualify for S-Pass, you will get nothing. Which pass you qualify for depends on salary, education, experience, job scope (in approx. this order of importance) and the exact details are not published by MoM.
4. EP is given only if passport is valid for more than 6 months, and maximum for the passport's validity. So, it's in your own interest to get a new one ASAP.

Thanks Beppi n Tariq!

[Moderated]