Moving to Kuwait

My family has an opportunity to move to Kuwait with my husband's job. We have a 17-month old boy and I currently work part time. My husband is in the restaurant business and is being offered a chance to live in Kuwait. We are going with him if we accept. I have a few questions because I am getting so many different opinions from people out here.

1. Is it safe? I have heard mixed opinions and don't know who to believe.

2. I know it is hot and dry, but is it manageable? I.E. air conditioning, pools, beaches etc

3. what if anything should we bring? is it cheaper to just replace items out there?

4. how is the money in comparison to that in the states? Like one dollar here vs a dollar there?

5. Buy a car or taxi?

6. Best housing option and what are the options? Apartment, townhome, condo, house?

7. Clothing; restrictions and guideline

8. what can I do all day when my husband is working crazy and long hours. Currently I work part time and my baby and I go on lots of adventures! I want to make sure I can take him to the park, pool, shopping, play dates etc. without my husband and just the two of us.

If you have any information, general or specific, please share. The more responses the merrier!!!

Hi Laura! I am looking forward for some responses with your post. I need information about Kuwait too :)

its very safe, every place has an AC it cheaper in some ways and expensive in other, a dollar here is 0.300 fils u can buy 3 pepsis and in america with one dollar u only can buy one soda, a car is much better than taxies and gas here is very cheap u can full ur car for 10 bucks I'm Kuwaiti and i lived my  with my parents and still live there so I'm not good with the housing :(, clothing u can were what ever u want like u used in Denver, u can have a lot of fun with ur little man theres beaches a lot of malls and if u ever needed any help I'm Kuwaiti and i have a lot of conections and i can help with every thing just tell me ur the Denver girl i hope u love Kuwait and have fun hit me up my name is Faisal but my american friend call me phil phone # 69652013 email : [email protected] peace

Hello

I came to Kuwait in January so I am fairly new but I thought I might try to answer your questions since I had many of the same.

1.   I feel safe here. Even though you here stories I believe it is safer then many large American cities. You need to use common sense but I am never afraid to go out alone.

2.   I have not spent a summer here but everywhere is air conditioned and many apartments and complexes have pools. You can also purchase a membership or a day pass to the hotels and use their pool and their nice clean beaches, where you can wear a swimsuit. I will not go to the public beaches in shorts and defiantly not in a swimsuit. It is not illegal but you will get unwanted attention and the beaches are dirty. There is trash and glass everywhere. The one thing I really hate about Kuwait is how dirty it is.

3.   In regards to what you should bring: for us we brought almost everything because the company gave us a moving allowance. It is not cheaper to buy things here then in the US. Do not bring electronics or appliances, American TV's will not work here. You can get nice furnished apartments here but I would also say it depends on how long you plan on staying.

4.   1 KD = 3.60 USD

5.   It is nice to have your own car but it is not necessary. You can rent a car from the airport with your American drivers license and then purchase private insurance. For a SUV (I feel safer driving a SUV) it is about 300KD plus 5KD for insurance a month. You can get a regular car for cheaper. Once you or your husband get a Kuwait license you can find one cheaper in town. There have been some incidents lately regarding taxis so I would recommend finding one you like and calling only him. I can recommend one once you get here.

6.   There are many housing options. Google house rental Kuwait and take a look. We live in a high rise apartment because I love the view we have. There are houses, apartments, what I would call condos and compounds. The best thing to do is once you get here call a real estate agent and go look. It is free to look but if you get something through an agent they charge 50% of the monthly rental but I think it is a good way to see what is out there.

7.   When I am out and about during the day I wear jeans or 3/4 length pants but I think for the summer I will be in shorts that come to my knees. Tee shirts are fine but tank tops feel too reveling. If I go out to dinner at night a dress just above my knees is fine. My rule (so I feel comfortable) is  thighs covered and no cleavage showing. But, again there is no law just creepy guys staring.

8.   You have to work at finding something to do here. I would recommend joining groups and make connections from there. I have joined 2 different expat groups and there is always someone else who is looking to just get out of the house. You need to be outgoing otherwise it will be boring.

If you have any other questions just send me a message.

Take care

Hey,

Thank you for your responses! I am very open and excited for this potential change. Right now its still very much up in the air about the move, but I want to get lots of info! I have a friend in denver named  Facail!  I am very open and outgoing and that is why I fear being suck at home all the time. I'm a ” stay at home mom” and my son and I are out for about 10 hours each day! We love to have lots of simulation and learning experiences. As long as we can have ac in the home I'm okay with hot outside. I just want to be comfortable in our home!

Oh, can I work part time? Are there jobs available like that?

Keep it coming!! Your answers are so helpful, thank you.

Laura

Thank you guys for the responses, at least i/we have an idea on what to do/bring/pack :)

Dear Laurali (as in Gilmore? ^_^ )

it depends on what field u are in for part time work, its strictly off the records tho.

1. Kuwait is relatively safe. it all depends on where u are and what u do. but in terms of security and police force, yes Kuwait is safe.

2. most expats stick to hotels for beaches and pools; like the palms, hilton mangaf etc. its a nice crowd. dont do the public beach scene. please.

3. cheaper to replace.

4. NO TAXES

5. Buy a car

6. Apartment or Villa, pick your poison.

7. dress modestly. its not as closed as saudi, but not as open as dubai. u can dress as u like, theres no law against it, u'll just be pestered by hormonal teenagers and grown men.

8. there are several societies such as the Ladies Who Do Lunch In Kuwait that cater to mothers, as well as the british ladies society etc.

u'll find urself occupied, dont worry :)

Some expat females go walking alone or jogging alone past 8pm. I don't advise any female to walk alone past 8pm anywhere in Kuwait. The exception would be if you are in a big mall and then you are taking a cab back home or parked near the mall. But even then I would say don't stay at the mall past 10 pm if you are alone

Hi,

My Name is Karan, i am from India.. i have got a job in kuwait and they are paying me 700 kwd per month. I am planning to move with my wife, wanted to know..what would be my monthly expense in kuwait and will i be able to save any money?
Are foreign women allowed to work in kuwait?
need some help....Thanks..

I have never been concerned for my safety. My wife has been hassled a few times, but she is much prettier and the situations didn't turn serious.

I am a significant burn survivor (most of my skin cannot sweat) and I am still standing.

A lot of employers provide furnished accommodations. We found it better to just buy here, especially electronics

The current rate is 1kd = 3.57 US, but your purchasing power will be better for most things

We have managed for 5 years without a car. I get transport to/from work and the Mrs. has a driver.

Apartments are the easiest to move out of. My guiding philosophy as a seasoned expat is to never get too comfortable...situations can change quickly.

Dress like you are going to church and you will have no problems

There are some great ladies groups here; pick up a new hobby; get a job; do some volunteer work, etc.

Living in Kuwait can be challenging at times, but the same is true of any country, including your own. It is well situated for travel & you can save a nice percent of your salary without unduly depriving yourself.

its very very safe you can leave your door open and no one will bather "not that am recommending you to do so
car is very important buy used one or lease its better , you will love it dress what ever you like but decent but you could wear bikini on the beaches which you will love ,Kuwaitis are very freindly ppl. am sure you will love it

Hello ialqirtas,

Just for info, this thread has been inactive since 2012.

But we hope anyway you got some returns about your point of view.

Thank you,

Marjorie