Hiya all, newbie!

Hi all, new to Expat.com, moving to Saudi within the next two months.
Any advice on things to do or how to social in Riyadh for a twenty something! :) ta x

ill figure it out when you do. i mid 20s and ill eb there in june. let ya know what i find lol

A Warm Welcome to Expat-Blog (and Riyadh soon too) to the girl with an aweful birth date :)

Do expect some boredom in the start, but as soon as you develop a social circle, things will be a lot of fun.

Thank you both :)
I should be there at the beginning of June hopefully! Do you know what compound you'd be heading to?

jzall 3

Isn't jzall3 in easterm province somewhere @Freshlikesushi?

dunno. was told thats where ill be in riyadh
havent looked too hard at it.
http://jzala.net/jcthree.html

when any gal post some thing y all the guys always throw theirself for answer here ,, im also new here but since few weeks i observed ,,,,,,,,,,

:) Nothing like that @desertlifestyle. Welcome note is passed to everyone; no matter gals or guys. This specifiec post is so typical. 2 guys welcomed a newbie and then started talking to each other.

Riyadh is more or less like all capital cities.... very rich people... so many shopping malls... very luxurious cars  and hotels... you will enjoy all that nearly you will find all what you wish but with some limits in dressing outside... but recently you can see European women wearing what they like but with a black Abaya ... most of foreigners working for colleges live in compounds and others working for training centers live in nice buildings... I don't know your career but most of English people here are language instructors or so.... anyway... ... really I am enjoying the style of life here but sometimes miss friends back home in Egypt... at first you will need some guidance to know the best places to shop and so but i can send you a list of all that

TheLegendLeads wrote:

:) Nothing like that @desertlifestyle. Welcome note is passed to everyone; no matter gals or guys. This specifiec post is so typical. 2 guys welcomed a newbie and then started talking to each other.

yep
Im married. no leghumping here. just trying to socialize.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

no leghumping here. just trying to socialize.

Oh you're 'leg-humping'.. admit it! :lol:

Lately I don't welcome anybody, male or female, because if they're already here, posting seems to be a one-shot deal, something they do on a dull evening and then disappear.  If they're not here but say they're coming, they don't come!   

I reserve my energy for people who have been around for awhile (and God help those people lol).

Alliecat wrote:

if they're already here, posting seems to be a one-shot deal, something they do on a dull evening and then disappear.

YEAH!

@Britgirly: welcome to the forum, do check on the other posts.. there is a tonne of info and intel lying around inside the pages, do a bit of searching and you should be able to have some idea on how things are here.

Cheers!

Alliecat wrote:

I reserve my energy for people who have been around for awhile (and God help those people lol).

@AC I've been here a while; a LONG while.:P but I've been mostly reading stuff since I'm a lurker.:lol:

Welcome though newbie!^^

You know what x0mi07? Whenever I see your username, only one stupid thought strikes all the time:

"is it a username or a password?" :lol:
A combination of numbers, small & large alphabets...

How did exams went through?

There r a lots of DONT'S and fewer DOs. U must know and follow them. Be ready to have a major cultural shift and have patience... If u r ready to put up with some initial shocks and hardships, u will soon settle down well n have a lot of friends. Let me know if I could be of any help.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

You know what x0mi07? Whenever I see your username, only one stupid thought strikes all the time:

"is it a username or a password?" :lol:
A combination of numbers, small & large alphabets...

How did exams went through?

:offtopic: sorry @britgirly for invading your thread. Hope you don't mind.

@TLL To answer your question, my username can be read two ways "love, mi-07" as in "with love, mi oh-seven" or "siomai 07" siomai means filipino steamed meat dumpling (one of my fave foods). It was something I thought of when I was in high school and it stuck with me since then. But there are no uppercase letters. My mild OCD dictated that I somehow had to replace the letter "O" with the number "0" because it sort of brought symmetry to the user ID.=D

My exam went well, thanks for asking. I just went to SCFHS earlier this morning and I'll receive my license card tomorrow.^^

Thats okay! Thanks for the welcome guys.
Culture wise I know what I'm getting into! My folks have lived in Riyadh for about 2 years now and Im going out to join them for a few months.
Been looking at lots of posts and hoping to be as social as possible! :)

x0mi07 wrote:

@TLL To answer your question, my username can be read two ways "love, mi-07" as in "with love, mi oh-seven" or "siomai 07" siomai means filipino steamed meat dumpling (one of my fave foods). It was something I thought of when I was in high school and it stuck with me since then. But there are no uppercase letters. My mild OCD dictated that I somehow had to replace the letter "O" with the number "0" because it sort of brought symmetry to the user ID.=D

My exam went well, thanks for asking. I just went to SCFHS earlier this morning and I'll receive my license card tomorrow.^^

hmmm....usernames can be deep sometimes. Tx for solving the maze. And of course many congrats for getting through. All the Best for things next !!!

welcome britgirly, hope u have fun at ur new place and ur sure to meet some nice ppl here. and xOmi07, that's quite interesting, would like to know how legend got his nic and Allie and what's behind the new pic legend? and what about Red....hmmm long time

thats nice to all of u .. i didnt mean that ,, i wz just indicating ,, what i saw ,, any ways im also new on blog and socilzing is one othe best things ,,if u can carry it in nice way ,,,, and this is nice place to introduce ourself with nice educated guys ... cheeerup alll ...