How to teach in South Korea information needed!

Hi everyone,

Ok, I am going through the process of naturalisation so that I can get a UK passport for the E2 visa and teach in South Korea. I am Italian but since child lived most of my life in England and had education in UK so all I need is the passport.

I'm looking at elementary teaching with the kids and wondered if anyone would be so kind as to share a lesson plan with me that they have wrote and taught so that I can get an idea of what teaching will be like and start modelling and creating my own lesson plans in advance so that I am one step ahead and might feel a bit more confident.

I did find a few flashcards with korean and english but not much to go on.

I've never been to Korea and going alone for a year so the step is a big one and I am so petrified of carrying out simple tasks and living there. I have heard a lot of people have had good experiences there and lack of work in England and no other option as lead me to this path. Europe is competitive and can't find any offers at the moment, Korea offers immediate start and one year guaranteed work straightaway so this is good opportunity.

Hi there,

Stop stressing!!!

Believe me when I tell you that there's no need to do any prep prior to coming as many of the schools have their own curriculum in place and you just follow this. The hardest part really is staying sane throughout your stay here. Don't worry about a thing as the job is not difficult and the problems of everyday life here in comparison to being at home are easy to overcome.

If you want any specific information feel free to email me at

[email protected]

Thanks Kiwiinkorea,

Its helped me to relax :) what do you mean by "The hardest part really is staying sane throughout your stay here".

Do you mean that it can be hard to fit into the culture and lifestyle?

Thanks for the contribution

Really the hardest part of teaching is dealing with the way in Koreans run things in the school. For me the differences to what I would consider normal are far removed in Korea. Many a time this has been highly frustrating and stressful. That being said the job is highly rewarding and not difficult to do. When you were worrying about about prior knowledge for possible curriculums, don't worry about a thing, you don't need to bring any stuff, the schools are well equipped with lots of resources and there are many websites that can offer ideas as well as provide full lesson plan ideas should you need them.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that sounds great. I have in fact got a PGCE even if compulsory but started teaching assistant in primary and love kids so the kids and teaching itself didn't worry me but as you said resources and stuff did as I always want the best for learners and teaching is still new to me. The fact that the lingo is so different to European languages and the culture does excite and worry me at same time, guess just want to make a right choice but it is also the only choice considering employment issues in UK. Thank you so much for the help it really is appreciated :)

When you come here, make sure you bring a sense of humour here as you will need it. My first year and yours will be the hardest. Am half way through my second. It's only once you know the lay of the land that life becomes much easier.

Please if you have any questions about whatever, please feel free to ask, it was through forums and other expats here that really helped me get through. Information is available through official avenues, but the best info comes from other who have a better understanding of what you're going through.

Hi everyone after much documentation sorting as needed UK passport etc....I am now finally moving in a few weeks to teach in Nowon-Gu, Seoul. Just wanted to ask how easy is it to get internet installed and open a bank account there.

Any good banks or accounts for expats? It's my first time ever and I'm a little worried as it's a huge step but also very grateful and excited about things.

Hello Warrior.

This article on Banking in South Korea could help. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Most of the banks here offer expat services. I use KEB and Shinan, both have experienced people with sufficient english skills to sort all your requirements. KEB are probably the best set up when it comes to online banking and international transfers etc.

Thanks. Aurélie:)

Thanks Andrew:) will look out for those bank names, wrote them down :)

Oh, I know this is silly and sorry for all my questions. How does one go about getting the alien registration card in order to open ones bank account? :/

Hi if you want internet, call this number 1588-8448, it's an expat hotline for internet with KT Olleh. The staff who answer the phone all speak good english. You'll need to get your bank account first as they'll need those details. It'll cost you around 30,000 won a month for 100 mb/s connection and unlimited use. You'll need to sign up for a year, you'll need to get a Korean co teacher to write your address down to fax them so they can come around and install it for you.Installation is a one off cost of 10,000 won, if you move you can continue this account and just pay another 10k when installing at the new address.

The service is fantastic and the download speeds are lightening fast! You're gonna love the internet here, best in the world, where else can you download a 5GB bluray film in under 10 minutes!

Warrior wrote:

Oh, I know this is silly and sorry for all my questions. How does one go about getting the alien registration card in order to open ones bank account? :/

After you arrive in Korea, your boss will take you to do your medical and also your visa set up so you can get yur ARC card. He or she will take you down to immigration probably. Immigration will need your passport when they do this, don't worry everything will be returned to you within a week, your ARC card will follow that, takes about another 3-5 days.

Once you've got your ARC card, bank accounts only take half an hour and they process a brand new cash card there for you on the spot.

A little note, you can use your cash card as many times as you like when paying for things at stores and this wont attract any fees, its only when you make withdrawls at ATM's that fees are incurred.

Ask anything you want, when I came here to Korea 2 years ago I got all my info through websites like this, you'll really need it as there aren't many other better ways to get clean information in Korea.

Thanks Andrew, really appreciate, all your help. Not long now for my departure. I  just found out that my iPhone will not work in korea therefore I will not be able to phone or use Internet from it. I don't have laptop and just worried as I want to let those I love back home know that I have landed and safe. Is it expensive to buy a mobile in korea? I though that I could buy a sim to use iPhone there but by what Internet says, iPhones are useless :(

If I was you I'd bring it just in case but youll need another charger as the power system here is 220v. Cellphones are everywhere here and wifi is everywhere. Korea is the most wired country in the world, you'd be hard pressed not to find a good wifi connection anywhere here. If you need access codes for wifi check this site, its a list of all the most common ones with default access codes:  http://seoulistic.com/quick-tip/how-to- … n-korea-2/

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated, that's an awesome link :D