What to eat for lunch in Riyadh

Right then people, I work in the centre ish of Riyadh just off Jarir st and normally I would eat fruit for my lunch in my office. Occaisionally we venture out to McDonalds next door but it is what it is and I don,t really enjoy it. Now then there are loads of cafes and small restraunts nearby and I said to my colleague we need to be brave and try one of these places out. But not knowing what to order is a problem.
Any one got some ideas what western blokes would get away with, not Pizza or Burgers or kebebs, something local and healthy would be nice. And don,t try and pull the wool over this dudes eyes by suggesting something with goats eyes of sheeps nuts or the like, I have google and will use it.
Thanks in advance
Al

kabsa

I don't think middle eastern fastfood like kabsa can be considered "healthy" all around. Maybe some ful and falafel sandwiches? Falafel aren't super healthy since they're fried but ful sandwiches are okay if you're into the dip thing. If you don't mind fat drippings, maybe some shawarma?:D

funkydelicguy wrote:

kabsa

you can google all the foods but still not know what it taste like ... thats big problem

kabsa is a Saudi meal.
i think you will like it.

Try grilled chicken with green salad.

funkydelicguy wrote:

kabsa

:) Kabsa is the fastest, easiest and delicious way to attach a heavyduty large size drum on your belly.

Thanks to everyone, looks like its a salad box from home then, will have to put some effort in if I am gonna lose my frontage!

Moestavern wrote:

Thanks to everyone, looks like its a salad box from home then, will have to put some effort in if I am gonna lose my frontage!

Yep, this is a real easy place to gain weight :/

how about you try hijazi mantou it taste really good.

Moestavern wrote:

Right then people, I work in the centre ish of Riyadh just off Jarir st and normally I would eat fruit for my lunch in my office. Occaisionally we venture out to McDonalds next door but it is what it is and I don,t really enjoy it. Now then there are loads of cafes and small restraunts nearby and I said to my colleague we need to be brave and try one of these places out. But not knowing what to order is a problem.
Any one got some ideas what western blokes would get away with, not Pizza or Burgers or kebebs, something local and healthy would be nice. And don,t try and pull the wool over this dudes eyes by suggesting something with goats eyes of sheeps nuts or the like, I have google and will use it.
Thanks in advance
Al

I live nearby, I recommend ALBALAD ALSAID Resturant just next to LEGOURMET in siteen street and opposite to McDonalds it's mainly a catering resturant for parties and big feast but they make a different delicous Lebanese meal every day which you can order for lunch.

Also on jarir street there is ALTAZAJ resturant where they have healthy grilled chicken with fresh bread.

I recommend also Jarir pastries for delicious Turkish pastries located also on jarir street near the intersection with siteen street.

If you like Indian food there is a resturant called Indian corner on arbeen street (the street parallel to jarir) they have authentic Indian cuisine.

mshael wrote:

I tasted it in taif but I don't know where I can find a good one in Riyadh, I believe we have something similar to it in Jordan we call it shoshbarak but dipped in sour Laban

Creative85 wrote:
mshael wrote:

I tasted it in taif but I don't know where I can find a good one in Riyadh, I believe we have something similar to it in Jordan we call it shoshbarak but dipped in sour Laban

try shehab badra in king abdullah road.

Creative85 wrote:
Moestavern wrote:

Thanks in advance
Al

I live nearby, I recommend ALBALAD ALSAID Resturant just next to LEGOURMET in siteen street and opposite to McDonalds it's mainly a catering resturant for parties and big feast but they make a different delicous Lebanese meal every day which you can order for lunch.

Also on jarir street there is ALTAZAJ resturant where they have healthy grilled chicken with fresh bread.

I recommend also Jarir pastries for delicious Turkish pastries located also on jarir street near the intersection with siteen street.

If you like Indian food there is a resturant called Indian corner on arbeen street (the street parallel to jarir) they have authentic Indian cuisine.

Thanks will give it a go.

shawarma of mama noura..

Speaking of food, are there any good falafel, shawarma, fresh bread houses that anyone recommends in Riyadh?

2lo2slo wrote:

Speaking of food, are there any good falafel, shawarma, fresh bread houses that anyone recommends in Riyadh?

Just had Falafel but don,t know if it was good or not as it was the first time. Had it 2 hours ago and its still with me!!
Its next to the SABB bank on Malaz Siteen just up from MacDonalds.

Oh nice! I can't wait to try it again, since I grew up in Jeddah more than a decade ago, Id like to taste good ol' fresh food as opposed to processed such as here in the U.S. =/.  I'm definitely looking forward to eating again at AL BAIK and AL TAZAJ chickent, I'm sure their businesses are thriving!

There is an indian resturant named TANDORI...try it. It loacated in AL-Ahssa streeet, left side if you are coming from Jarir street.

Try steakhouse in Thalatheen street near to Tamimi market.

2lo2slo wrote:

Oh nice! I can't wait to try it again, since I grew up in Jeddah more than a decade ago, Id like to taste good ol' fresh food as opposed to processed such as here in the U.S. =/.  I'm definitely looking forward to eating again at AL BAIK and AL TAZAJ chickent, I'm sure their businesses are thriving!

You might be in for a surprise.. Saudi chains like Herfy are far from 'good ol' fresh food' :P  Actually, even the meats sliced down for shawma's are processed--that round thing being roasted on the spit sure ain't *real* chicken--more like small bits and pieces held together with God-knows-what!  (but don't get me wrong--I like it :lol:)

As for bread, everybody RAVES about the bread from the Wooden Bakery!

haha! Thanks alliecat, I guess times have changed since 1997 LOL. Well I'll just have to give it credit and expect good things to come with the food over there! I'll definitely try that Wooden Bakery! =D

Well, the Wooden Bakery caught my eye from day #1 because it's got a large decorative windmill on the exterior.  It reminds me of the Moulin Rouge in Paris (muhahahahaha!).

Check it out:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/1920x1280/27887363.jpg

AND:

http://www.paris4travel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Moulin-Rouge.jpg

Almost can't tell the difference!!  Well, until you get inside and there's only bread and no dancing :lol::lol:

oh wow, your right, you definitely can't miss it, I'll definitely be using that as a land mark heh. Thanks for the pics!

Moestavern wrote:

Thanks in advance
Al

There is a branch for "Ya Maal Shaam" near you, try that .. better if your try their outlet on Olayya road.

they have a nice mix of western multiplied with Arabic inspired by south Asia taste.

They are hygienic, and healthy.

b.t.w, you can always inquire the staff at these restaurants and they will give you a good idea of what your food will be like.

Hello salman108.

Thank you for your input. :)
PS: This thread is a year old.

Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Hello salman108.

Thank you for your input. :)
PS: This thread is a year old.

Aurélie

:D noticed that.

Just putting information where I can, to make any future search more worthwhile !

Cheers.

Go to Al Tahlia street (Also called : Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz St.) , it is a street in the middle of Riyadh, lined on both sides with restaurants, coffee shops and a few boutiques and specialty shops.

you can explore all the cafes, eat outs and restaurants on www.riyadheats.com further, there is alot of chicken and i literally mean alot of chicken here! but there are guzillions of fast food chains, healthy eat outs. Best option is to have ur own stove and a chef soul! :D

goliathx47 wrote:

Best option is to have ur own stove and a chef soul! :D

I second :)

:top:

Muhammad Aamer wrote:
goliathx47 wrote:

Best option is to have ur own stove and a chef soul! :D

I second :)

I third it! It's a lot of fun cooking here because there is such an incredible range of spices, veggies, etc. available (Saudi, South Asia, East Asian, Western, etc.). 

I make it a point to buy and try something new every time I go grocery shopping.

Have fun!

true that...cooking is always fun....but getting fat isnt :D