Thinking of moving to Doha

Hello everyone!

I live in Montreal, Canada, with my wife and two kids and run my own software consultancy business. I have been thinking of going to Qatar for work for over a year now. My motives include reprieve from the cold weather, a cultural rejuvenation, and (hopefully) an improvement in lifestyle.

A friend of mine advised me to go there to seek work in person. I am thinking of doing that in early May. Concurrently, I'd be investigating more closely the lifestyle, housing options and schools for the kids. I know that this forum is a treasure trove of info addressing these issues, but I still have one question that is relevant to my imminent visit for which I have not found an answer: If I go to Doha in May, what do you think is the most economical housing arrangement that I can have? I suspect that a hotel room for a week or two would be prohibitively expensive. Are there apartments that I can rent for a short term (1-2 weeks)? Any other ideas?

Second, does the plan to seek work in person make sense? Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Ahmed

Hi and welcome on board Ahmed!

Maybe having a look at the Qatar guide could help you.

Regards
Armand

There are a lot of fully furnished serviced apartments available in Doha for short term lease; you can check the classifieds section in the Qatari Daily Newspapers to have the contact details of the agents so that you can make some enquiries and get some offers before your arrival.

Seeking work in person is not an easy task and may take you more than 2 weeks.

Good Luck :)

Thank you, Armand and VidoDido.

@Armand: The Qatar Guide is good, but doesn't speak much of temporary accommodations.

@VidoDido: thanks for the pointers to local newspapers; I hadn't thought of that! As to seeking work in person, I do understand that it may take longer as is the case in many places around the world. My understanding is that, short of tapping into the hidden job market through personal connections, applying in person is the only other method. I hear that the internet has a limited role and that companies in Qatar are not recruiting directly from overseas anymore.

Cheers!
Ahmed

Hello Ahmed

I am here in Doha for 2 weeks now. I am still looking for a job every body says you just have to be patient and you'll get a job .. all what you have to have is patience and perseverance .. job market here is fattening.

Good luck
Gamal

Good luck, Gamal. Hope your efforts pay off soon. Not sure what you mean by saying that the job market is "fattening," though! I would imagine that one would rather loose weight from all the walking when looking for a job ;)

Cheers,
Ahmed

Exactly Ahmed hehehe

@affect

Hello there, its a good idea to visit a place before you get a job, this way you can see what you are getting your self into and if you like the place or not. If you want my opinion, since your in the area why not visit the other countries here ? Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE as well ? I think all these countries have Visa on arrival so not a problem.

as for freedom my list is as

Bahrain comes first from how i see things.

as for raising your kids I would recommend Kuwait for safety ( not much to do tho )

and from the list Kuwait is a dry place so keep that in mind.

UAE (Dubai ) is more of a commercial country, if you are into that then thats the place to be

as for living expenses I would say Kuwait and Bahrain have good prices, From what i heard Qatar and UAE are a bit more expensive in that area so hmm hence the higher pay.

Best of luck !

P.S THIS IS MY SOLE OPINION