Language school recommendations?

So like many I am looking to head to Vietnam, and specifically HCMC, in a couple of months in order to teach for the foreseeable future. Right now I am doing my CELTA here in Ireland and the reason I'm looking at HCMC and Vietnam in general is because a friend of mine has been teaching there for over a year and loves the place.

Anyway, my question is, can anyone recommend any schools in HCMC I should look into applying to when I get there? Or any that I shouldn't? Anyone have any advice for choosing a school?

I've been hovering around this forum for a while now and I know there is a wealth of info on these forums (Jaitch springs to mind right off the bat).

Or even if anyone has some general advice for a prospective teacher, anything at all would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys!!!

-Ryan

Hi, I'd recommend avoiding most language centers if you can, the people who run them are for the most part shady.  It is normal for teaching hours to be cut for no reason (besides they are trying to find a teacher who will work for less).  I've worked at IWEP/ELS (ghetto as hell and low pay but okay when I was there), Elite Schools (terrible), Atlanta School (bad too), Firast (which was okay, Cleverlearn (shady, they cut my hours for no reason, then I quit).  Some people like VUS,but they have a lot of  double speak where they tell you to teach the demo class one way, they critique you and say you did it wrong.  I also hear mixed reviews on ILA, Superyouth, and Leecam.  Sorry, not trying to be negative, you could find other foreigners who probably like the schools I don't, but bottom line, don't trust any Vietnamese language schools.  I teach at a primary school, which has been good to this point, the pay isn't too high though.  Thus, if you can, I'd recommend trying maybe a primary, middle, or high school.  But, you can also do the trial-and-error approach of language centers, you usually don't sign any binding contracts, so if you don't like it, you can just up and quit.  Also, when applying for jobs, the pay range around Saigon is $15-$20, depending on your experience.  Needless to say, if they can, they'll try to low ball you.  Hope this helps bro!

Cheers for that! Yeah any info and first hand experiences are very helpful. Appreciate it!

Hey. I'm from Ireland too and I am thinking of doing CELTA in Vietnam - not sure where yet.

Are you currently in Vietnam, Ryan? How are you getting on and did you go over on your own? I'm thinking of going it alone!

I second what SaigonTed said about the bad reputation of the language schools. In fact, many international schools are just as bad sucking in parents to over pay for a nothing special education.

Why come here to get ESL teaching qualifications in VN rather than at home - at least your have a better training history?